House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
scoobydo

Eight Hours To Go.

there we have it then, Halfords saves the day.

Headlines in early Jan should read "Retail spending saved by Halfords Satnavs & Bikes"

you know us bears, we will use the "busy" or "quiet" posts any way we can :rolleyes:

so they are really busy, just think of all those people buying on credit cards & have to pay them off in Jan & Feb, just as the large fuel bills arrive as well :lol::lol:

WTF????

are you such an idiot that you can't see ACTUAL unabridged news with no spin??

just cos YOU or any of us don't see things happening doesn't mean it isn't happening. 2-3 times a store's budget IS A BIG BLOODY INCREASE OVER LAST YEAR.

none of the managers (who are all close personal friends) know where this money has come from, never expected it in a million years........and can't understand it - just like me.

i posted as a bit of FACTUAL information not opinion based on how many people i had seen (or hadn't seen) milling about in the usual shopping areas.

if it is happening in one store, it can be happening up and down the country and you'll never know about it.......then when the figures come out in feb you'll be proclaiming that they are rigged.

Just read on yahoo news that Christmas eve stats show a drop of 43% in shoppers compared to last year. They say Thursday was the busiest, which stacks up with me, and Saturday was up by .7% compared with the last Saturday before Christmas last year. They reckon that how Christmas fell on the calender this year gave people more time to shop, and so i assume gave the impression that it was less busy because everyone was out at different times. Mmm. <_<

Edited by scoobydo

I have a large Christmas lights display that people (complete strangers) walk through and come up the driveway to activate all the singing "animals". It costs nothing to enter (though I do take charity donations). To my knowledge it's the only display of its type where children (and adults) actually do something other than just look. Kids generally get pretty excited (hence me standing in the driveway to maintain order).

Anyway, something interesting has happened. I would say that numbers are in the order of two thirds down on last year.

Now, are they going somewhere else? This is the most heavily promoted Christmas display in town (radio and the major newspaper have both featured it again this year) and everyone tells me there are a lot less light displays around this year. So they're not going to another display.

Got bored with it? It's been going since 1992 with public visits to the interactive display for the past decade or so (it's at my parents house). If they were going to get bored with it then I think it would have happened long before now. In any event, it's aimed at kids so there's a constant turnover of new ones each year.

Weather? We're having the worst drought on record here in Oz and it's been fine every day since 1st December (when I switch the lights on) except 24th and 25th.

So what is it? Well, quite a few people have commented to me (without prompting) that they think people are so far in debt that this combined with rising interest rates, rising food costs and the price of petrol has forced them to cut back on non-essentials. They too have noticed the lack of people not only at my display, but at others as well.

Fair enough, I can understand cutting back, but when it gets to the point of leaving the kids at home rather than take them to a FREE display then things must be pretty serious. All they're saving is the cost of running the car. And it's only 16 km (10 miles) from the city centre so it's not exactly a long way to drive.

Which all leads me to the conclusion that there are more than a few families with young children with seriously tight finances right now. Perhaps not surprising considering that Tasmania (Oz) is now OFFICIALLY IN RECESSION. Yes, that's right, Tasmania which was second in line to New South Wales (incl Sydney) with the property boom, is now officially in recession. New South Wales (incl Sydney) is damn close to it as well whilst the ACT and Western Australia have both recorded one quarter of negative economic growth (two being required to meet the definition of a recession).

Not looking good in Oz.

House prices? I just saw one listed for 225K which would have been 280K at the peak of the boom for the same type of house in the same suburb.

Guest grumpy-old-man

WTF????

are you such an idiot that you can't see ACTUAL unabridged news with no spin??

just cos YOU or any of us don't see things happening doesn't mean it isn't happening. 2-3 times a store's budget IS A BIG BLOODY INCREASE OVER LAST YEAR.

none of the managers (who are all close personal friends) know where this money has come from, never expected it in a million years........and can't understand it - just like me.

i posted as a bit of FACTUAL information not opinion based on how many people i had seen (or hadn't seen) milling about in the usual shopping areas.

if it is happening in one store, it can be happening up and down the country and you'll never know about it.......then when the figures come out in feb you'll be proclaiming that they are rigged.

err, why are you getting so stressed out over my post??

I would also hazzard a guess at where the money has come from ;) credit cards springs to mind :D

chill out & have a good New Year Dancing Bear.

Guest muttley

i have it on good authority that my local 4 or 5 halfords stores have been running at sales of 2-3 times their budget (budget = last years sales + 10%, last years sales were excellent too) over the last couple of weeks, mostly driven by sat nav and bikes. the managers i know from these stores have never seen anything like it.

2-3 times their budget is an enormouse increase. Are you you sure they don't mean +20-30% (as opposed to budget of +10%) which is still huge. I believe SatNavs were meant to be a big seller this year, so that might explain why Halfords are doing well.

this seems to be at odds with the photographs here

my folks are out in Chesterfield at the moment, will report back later!

That photo does not seem to have any festive lights in it, so maybe its a little dated

2-3 times their budget is an enormouse increase. Are you you sure they don't mean +20-30% (as opposed to budget of +10%) which is still huge. I believe SatNavs were meant to be a big seller this year, so that might explain why Halfords are doing well.

yep, 2-3 TIMES their budgets.

i was shocked and stunned and so were my friends. they are all seasoned managers and say they haven't seen this before - one last splurge maybe?

eg stores usually taking 6k per day were taking 15-18k.......that's a weekly sales figure in some stores. this was not only on the odd day here or there either, it was solid for the last 2 weeks.

first q i asked was about how much was on any type of credit - cc, tic, anything. the answer i got was that there was the usual rough 50-50 split cash/credit so credit cards not being hammered more than usual. whether this was mew manifesting itself as cash at the tills i guess we'll never know.