House Price Crash Forum

But if you're in a big enough organisation (e.g. the civil service), you're a long way from anyone who has any say in the pay rise. So you'll be met with "everyone's getting this, we're all in the same boat" "it's out of my hands" etc etc., and these are genuinely true from the person saying them from my experience.

It does seem that too often the decision is made by your bosses boss...and that your immediate boss uses the "it's out of my hands" card.

Probably part of managemnt training.

I don't know what % except my boss told me more than inflation. Hoping to find out by tomorrow.

Here's mine:

Year------------------------------------------Amount

====================================

August 2006 -----------------------greater of 3% or £515

February 2007 --------------------------------1%

August 2007 -----------------------------------3%

May 2008 ---------------------------greater of 3% or £420

October 2008 -----------------greater of 2.5% or RPI (at September 2008)

With the fudged RPI figures, October 2008 has me a bit worried.

REAL inflation, or government inflation (CPI / RPI) ?

I'm guessing the lower 2.5% or whatever the gov say it is.

I've been with this compnay less than a year so there's little point making sarcastic remarks. Taking on more responsibility and doing a course one day a week (which my company has kindly paid for) should mean performance related rises in the future.

It does seem that too often the decision is made by your bosses boss...and that your immediate boss uses the "it's out of my hands" card.

Probably part of managemnt training.

Exactly! most of the time people forget that this should be a negotiation and end up talking to someone with no power at all. If you are unhappy about your pay rise, make an appointment with HR and go along prepared with all the inflation figures ect and if you still don't get your way hand in your notice.

It is a negotiation so you could just deal to get better benifits to make up for that lack of pay. I expect these would come out of a different budget and could be easier to attain.

The best thing I ever did was to say ******** to it all and start working for myself.

Exactly! most of the time people forget that this should be a negotiation and end up talking to someone with no power at all. If you are unhappy about your pay rise, make an appointment with HR and go along prepared with all the inflation figures ect and if you still don't get your way hand in your notice.

It is a negotiation so you could just deal to get better benifits to make up for that lack of pay. I expect these would come out of a different budget and could be easier to attain.

The best thing I ever did was to say ******** to it all and start working for myself.

And what's the point of working your butt off when the person making the decision doesn't know you from Adam :angry:

At my last place of employment there was a budget for payrises. Some got more than others (fortunately for me, as an engineer I got a lot more than than most) but the average per person was the rate of inflation. Obviously some got less :huh:

Guest Charlie The Tramp

me - no much - the stupid union bowed down to the universities and settled for 13% over 4 years like it was a real acheivement - morons.

Oh dear, those unions don`t still go for those 4 year pay deals do they ? They went bye bye in the 70s although the Employers still love them if the workforce are silly enough to accept. :rolleyes: