House Price Crash Forum

I have a gas boiler in my kitchen is to the right and under the sink below a window, looks old.

The boiler heats my central heating and water. I have alternative electric water heater but no alternate heating for the house no gas fires etc. only a expensive to run electric bar heater.

The issue appears to be the flame is going out and the landord's staff sent someone round twice (is actually a plumber) who told me I just need to reignite it when it goes out and thought nothing of it. Had a corgi registered guy here twice as well (employed by landlord) who told me its in good condition and the issue is its been blown out by outside air, he told me stick a towel over the air duct outside and then it will reignite.

I spent an hour or so today trying to ignite it and it wont work.

To summarise.

In the period from around early nov it has gone wrong 3 times. 2 seperate callouts for it and 1 corgi guy visit.

It only worked for a week since last visit.

When they here I here them needing to do about 30 or so attempts at igniting it as can hear the clicking noise it makes then they turn around to me say all is well.

Corgi guy employed by landlord.

Other guy is as well.

My sister happens to work for british gas and she insists it is not normal to have to manually light a boiler in this manner and I believe her, the ignite button is below a panel which a normal person wouldnt be expected to remove I thought and is like having to use a choke to start a old car.

Given this hasnt been fixed am I been reasonable if I demand a new boiler altogether, since they cant fix it as they reckon there is nothing to fix I would think the only plausible way to resolve this is for a new boiler to be fitted.

If landlord says no where do I stand legally? as I expect heating is something in rental regulations.

I plan to quote him a bill for X amount of hours per day for this electric bar heater.

First - Have you got a copy of the Landlords Gas Safety Certificate?

if no ask the Landlord or the agent for a copy immediatly.

Make sure its safe to use/run.

2nd - put your concerns to the landlord in writing. Lack of heating.

3rd - Propose an action plan, not fixed by x date then x amount off the rent perhaps.

It is certainly not normal to have to continually light the pilot light!!

As well as being told to put the towel over the flue, well thats just plain dangerous!!!

You should have a landlords gas safety inspection certificate (CP12) this should be completed annually on all gas appliances as well as an annual tightness test to check the gas pipework.

These checks can only be carried out be a correctly qualified corgi engineer who should have a Corgi ID card.

Do you you know the make and model? If you do let me know and I'll tell you if its a reliable boiler or not!

FAVRE

It is certainly not normal to have to continually light the pilot light!!

As well as being told to put the towel over the flue, well thats just plain dangerous!!!

You should have a landlords gas safety inspection certificate (CP12) this should be completed annually on all gas appliances as well as an annual tightness test to check the gas pipework.

These checks can only be carried out be a correctly qualified corgi engineer who should have a Corgi ID card.

Do you you know the make and model? If you do let me know and I'll tell you if its a reliable boiler or not!

FAVRE

Absolutely right.

Contact your local council health and safety officer to get advice. The house should be adequately heated in cold weather and heated safely. This is not a matter of opinion or judgement - its the law. No 'ifs' no 'buts'. If it keeps happening just keep contacting the landlord in writing and by phone and also sending copies to the council. Eventually the cost of calling out the plumber will overwhelm the landlord and he/she will get a new boiler. The agent will be worried about legal liability so they will not argue.

Also go down to your local B&Q and buy a carbon monoxide detector alarm (looks like a fire detector alarm but different detector apparatus inside) today and and put it near the boiler to see if it goes off. If it does open the windows and get out of the house. Do not go back and put in writing to the landlord that you regard the house as unfit to live in. Look for somewhere else to live. The landlord will not sue you for rent and and if he/she does you can take him/her to court in return.

On no account should you ever block the flue with a towel - even temporarily - because you might forget to take the towel off once the boiler is lit and you will not get a second chance.

Hi thanks for the advice, the first monday after it happened I left a message on the landlords mobile and his staff rang me back (he employs own staff no seperate estate agent). They agreed to send someone round 'again' the same day and I gave permission for them to let themselves in as I would be out.

When I cam back the guy was still here same guy as 2 times before and this time he admitted a fault, said it was a pipe, he did tell me the name of the pipe but I have forgotten now, he had a little moan how this wasnt his job but I politely explained I am not the one to moan to I just want a working boiler. We had a discussion about the corgi registered stuff as I thought only the other guy who does the checks was rgeistered but he said he is as well so both guys who came round were corgi registered although I have not seen proof.

Since he left its been working ok probably about a week and a half I think.

If it goes wrong again I will do all what has been advised here.

Proof of safety certificate.

Put it in writing copies to council.

Safety wise I was very unhappy, a couple of times before he did this fix I had smelt what I think was possibly gas in the kitchen near the boiler and I suspected that was due to a fault and not safe or good for my health, for the boilder model number I have had a look but cant find anything, its a small white boiler under and to the side of the sink in the cupboard area. It has a little hole where the flame is visible, and at the bottom is the controls which are accessible when removing a panel, it isnt great even now I have it on the very max setting and thats just about good enough to warm the house up.

Hi thanks for the advice, the first monday after it happened I left a message on the landlords mobile and his staff rang me back (he employs own staff no seperate estate agent). They agreed to send someone round 'again' the same day and I gave permission for them to let themselves in as I would be out.

When I cam back the guy was still here same guy as 2 times before and this time he admitted a fault, said it was a pipe, he did tell me the name of the pipe but I have forgotten now, he had a little moan how this wasnt his job but I politely explained I am not the one to moan to I just want a working boiler. We had a discussion about the corgi registered stuff as I thought only the other guy who does the checks was rgeistered but he said he is as well so both guys who came round were corgi registered although I have not seen proof.

Since he left its been working ok probably about a week and a half I think.

If it goes wrong again I will do all what has been advised here.

Proof of safety certificate.

Put it in writing copies to council.

Safety wise I was very unhappy, a couple of times before he did this fix I had smelt what I think was possibly gas in the kitchen near the boiler and I suspected that was due to a fault and not safe or good for my health, for the boilder model number I have had a look but cant find anything, its a small white boiler under and to the side of the sink in the cupboard area. It has a little hole where the flame is visible, and at the bottom is the controls which are accessible when removing a panel, it isnt great even now I have it on the very max setting and thats just about good enough to warm the house up.

Was it the thermocouple?

To suggest you put a towl over the flue is both stupid and very dangerous... what if you forgot to take it off after ignition?sound like cowboys to me. I bet non of them are registered! personally, I would start by going to www.diynot.com - has a good bunch of very knowledgeable people their, and one of them might live near you too.

I would personally get someone in to check off my own back... Is it worth risking it when you don't know what this guy has done, and if he was even capable of doing it safely?