House Price Crash Forum

Inflation

Fancypants

HOLA441

no longer is this an abstract discussion about purely notional matters - the growing threat of inflation will soon be felt directly by me!

Yes, that's right, for the first time in "over three years", my work canteen is raising its prices. Reason? " this has been brought about by the rising cost of raw ingredients and delivery charges"

:blink:

oh well, at least this will be offset by my commensurate wage rise and rising standard of living as my rent costs keep declining in hedonically-adjusted real terms. :)

HOLA442

no longer is this an abstract discussion about purely notional matters - the growing threat of inflation will soon be felt directly by me!

Yes, that's right, for the first time in "over three years", my work canteen is raising its prices. Reason? " this has been brought about by the rising cost of raw ingredients and delivery charges"

:blink:

oh well, at least this will be offset by my commensurate wage rise and rising standard of living as my rent costs keep declining in hedonically-adjusted real terms. :)

Bet your rent costs increase before my fixed (for life) non interest mortgage repayments. Interest may hit me in the short term but they will also be fixed for life in the medium term in some respects.

HOLA443

Bet your rent costs increase before my fixed (for life) non interest mortgage repayments. Interest may hit me in the short term but they will also be fixed for life in the medium term in some respects.

Has to go down as one of the funniest posts yet on this site. Suppose the "value" of your house is fixed for life too.

HOLA444

Has to go down as one of the funniest posts yet on this site. Suppose the "value" of your house is fixed for life too.

Look at the graph on the front. It goes from bottom left to top right.

You just dont understand it. You've probably got a maths degree but your still struggling to understand it.

Edited by BrickingIt

HOLA445

Hmm I also suppose that you will also be living in the same house for the rest of your life too. If the value does decrease at a time you would like to move you are fooked.

Hope you enjoy your lifetime fixed house price and also attach your lifetime fixed stagnant standard of living to that as well.

HOLA446

I would also suggest you check your "fixed" rate because you will find it is not as "fixed" as you may think.

Hint check the small print and the APR

Edited by Bemused

HOLA447

Hmm I also suppose that you will also be living in the same house for the rest of your life too. If the value does decrease at a time you would like to move you are fooked.

Hope you enjoy your lifetime fixed house price and also attach your lifetime fixed stagnant standard of living to that as well.

If prices go down the house i'm buying when move goes down?. It makes no difference.

Bottom left to top right, gettit. Too busy talking velocity of circulation of money.

I would also suggest your "fixed" rate because you will find it is not as "fixed" as you may think.

As capital is repaid it will reduce. If rates go up a bit ill just have one chinese takeaway a week and lose the sky sports package.

Edited by BrickingIt

HOLA448

You just dont understand it. You've probably got a maths degree but your still struggling to understand it.

Don't need a maths degree to say that making comparisons by ignoring interest payments on mortgages as one of the funniest and most stupid things I've seen posted on here.

As for falls not mattering becuase you can trade up cheaper well that is complete tripe as well - ask the Dotcommers - exactly the same situation they could buy much cheaper at the lows by selling their other stock at the lows, were the happy about it, deliriously, not!

HOLA449

Don't need a maths degree to say that making comparisons by ignoring interest payments on mortgages as one of the funniest and most stupid things I've seen posted on here.

As for falls not mattering becuase you can trade up cheaper well that is complete tripe as well - ask the Dotcommers - exactly the same situation they could buy much cheaper at the lows by selling their other stock at the lows, were the happy about it, deliriously, not!

30 years of empirical evidence - It stares you in the face - Interest is just rent but with buying, interest in the medium/long term is fixed and then decreasing plus capital gains at say 10% leverage.

Your fighting 30 years of empirical evidence and basic common sense with tosh comparisons.

HOLA4410

30 years of empirical evidence - It stares you in the face - Interest is just rent but with buying, interest in the medium/long term is fixed and then decreasing plus capital gains at say 10% leverage.

Your fighting 30 years of empirical evidence and basic common sense with tosh comparisons.

30 years - sounds impressive, doesn't it?

but most mortgage commitments are nearly that long. So we are using a sample size roughly equivalent to the period we are committing for.

Equivalent to saying "Orient will win their next game, as they won their last one" (as opposed to saying "because they won their last 10"). Not really a terribly reliable guide.

HOLA4411

Didn't refer to the statement I made but never mind.

30 years of boomer led inflation, 30 years of growth, 30 years of not pushing up against finite resourses during 30 years of increased demand from an increasing world population, 30 years of incresaing liquidity, risk and debt and gearing in the whole of the financial system, 30 years of increasing wealth, employment benefits and job prospects.

It's a nice 30-year snapshot, but that is all it is. A nice period, for those in a position to gain from it, even with a few bumps on the way.

Anybody extending a 30 year period of Japan's trend pre 1990 at that time into the future would have been polaxed by their invesment decisions, 17 years and counting, may well be 30 years by the time the effects are fully flushed out of their decision.

Have you got 30 years to wait?

HOLA4412

If prices go down the house i'm buying when move goes down?. It makes no difference.

Bottom left to top right, gettit. Too busy talking velocity of circulation of money.

I think hes right. The graph shows house prices rising continuously. And I must say I dont know anyone one who has lost money in property in the last thirty years.

By the way I work in a chinese takeaway. If you cut down on the takeouts I'm going to struggle to pay my mortgage and will have to sell up.

HOLA4413

I think hes right. The graph shows house prices rising continuously. And I must say I dont know anyone one who has lost money in property in the last thirty years.

By the way I work in a chinese takeaway. If you cut down on the takeouts I'm going to struggle to pay my mortgage and will have to sell up.

No fear I'll reduce the £250 max i'm ISAering first. It'll take 10% int before the Sky and chinese goes. Kinda dents the everyones maxed on the Credit cards theory dont it.

Edited by BrickingIt

HOLA4414

I would also suggest you check your "fixed" rate because you will find it is not as "fixed" as you may think.

Hint check the small print and the APR

I think the poster is artificially separating out the capital portion of the mortgage, and reminding us all that that piece is "fixed". The strangest way I've seen yet of thinking of a huge loan on which interest is owed as a positive matter.

HOLA4415

No fear I'll reduce the £250 max i'm ISAering first. It'll take 10% int before the Sky and chinese goes. Kinda dents the everyones maxed on the Credit cards theory dont it.

one troll with dubious motives amongst millions of real people? Hardly good science.

HOLA4416

Lots of people have lost money by buying at the wrong time,

HOLA4417

Wrong.. It goes from bottom left to top right...to flat to bottom right. Check out all of the various directions of the graph; it doesn't always go in one direction. Where do you think its heading next ?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

and things that go to top right always head down again or are you too stupid to understand that? try Japan

and fyi rentals are falling at present

HOLA4420

http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk

Anger over plans to raise bus fares

BUS passengers across the Midlands will be hit with inflation-busting rises of up to 25 per cent on ticket prices in the New Year.

Travel West Midlands, which makes millions of pounds on a near-monopoly share of bus travel across Birmingham, the Black Country, Solihull, Warwick-shire and Staffordshire, is putting up charges from January 2, 2007.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

More inflation.

Just renewed a travel insurance policy that cost £40 in 2005. Now the premium is £55.

2.7% my ar$e.

Got married a few months ago. Booked the photographer middle of 2005 - £925 (and the pictures were amazing). Just seen their latest price list on the web - same package now £1400.....