House Price Crash Forum

I Dont Believe It - Rightmove Is Soaring

teddyboy

They have a huge rentals section as well. Maybe that's going into overdrive.

That's a good point. I've had a bit of a rude awakening this week whilst looking for somewhere to rent here in Watford. Apparently demand has soared dramatically during the last couple of months to the extent that there's been a collapse in availability to rent, which explains why there's barely anything left on the market all of a sudden. I fear this will push up rental prices now. This must be down to either a sudden population surge (in Watford) or people dumping their houses on the market and STRing.

Guest buggles

That's a good point. I've had a bit of a rude awakening this week whilst looking for somewhere to rent here in Watford. Apparently demand has soared dramatically during the last couple of months to the extent that there's been a collapse in availability to rent, which explains why there's barely anything left on the market all of a sudden. I fear this will push up rental prices now. This must be down to either a sudden population surge (in Watford) or people dumping their houses on the market and STRing.

Really!??! I'm surprised. Granted I never go to Watford but all the places I visit have loads of places to rent. Signs everywhere.

What the hel has caused Rightmove to soar up in value by 10.78% in the last hour??????

They reported a tornado earlier on today on the news, I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

More likely someone has just seen the millions of hits they are getting every hour with people checking to see if house prices have gone down yet.

Edited by Nonnamouse

how does that work then? When people STR do the new owners knock the place down or leave it empty?

Otherwise, the number of houses available is the same, and the number of people is the same.

Looks like we have had a surge of immigrants I guess.......

What the hel has caused Rightmove to soar up in value by 10.78% in the last hour??????

And when are the BBC going to make it their f*cking headline Business news?

TB

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/fds/hi/...382/default.stm

You should embrace rightmove, that and supermarkets moving into the selling business helps stuff the old school "house pimps"

Which is a good thing.

Edit to add -> On the year its well down though, so now might be seen as a good time to buy for the long term (there was a piece in this weekends FT about rightmove squeezing out agents, didn't read it though )

Edited by slurms mackenzie

You should embrace rightmove, that and supermarkets moving into the selling business helps stuff the old school "house pimps"

Which is a good thing.

Edit to add -> On the year its well down though, so now might be seen as a good time to buy for the long term (there was a piece in this weekends FT about rightmove squeezing out agents, didn't read it though )

Slurms... you are quite new to here. Most people know I CANNOT STAND RIGHTMOVE!!!! Hate them as much as Gordon F*cking Brown :huh:

Most over-valued company going. I suspect that between them and Countrywide they buy and sell shares off each other coz when one performs the other doesn't and vice versa. Its quite rare that both with fall or rise on a consistent basis. I just think EVERYTHING rightmove is corrupt (but hey opinions are like @ssholes - We all have one).

TB

Is that why there are more than 400 properties in Watford available to rent on Rightmove at the moment?

Guest buggles

Which is a good thing.

How is Rightmove squeezing estate agents? I thought all the ads on there are from estate agents, no private sales.

How is Rightmove squeezing estate agents? I thought all the ads on there are from estate agents, no private sales.

I didn't realise that ........ but in order to dig myself out of a hole and find some facts that suit my argument I did some research.

You can go through online agents that will charge you a very small amount, as compared to the traditional agents (say 100 - 200 squid).

Whether or not you agree this is currently hurting them, it is still a trend that will continue to grow, and the agents are getting concerned about it.

I'm fully aware that rightmove aren't everybodies favourite people on their website, personally i'm appalled by the way they twist stats, but when the markets on the way down, and you're all after buying properties you'll be thankful for companies like rightmove for making sure less of the money you're spending goes to agents, and in a day when information is power, its useful for anyone to see all those asking prices on one site

I also own no shares in rightmove and never would, as it wouldn't take much for a couple o kids with a PC to come along and bunp em out the way. I'd be shocked if it ever turned into a money spinner.

Rightmove was founded by the estate agents, just after the news stories about how the new-fangled internet will make all EAs surplus to requirements. Its founding aim was to dominate online house advertising and ensure that nobody other than estate agents can advertise (my opinion, obviously they don't state this). It's as anti-competitive as it gets.

The Money Programme interviewed them last week, and asked them why they don't accept personal ads. Their answer was that individuals might make untrue statements, unlike the good honest estate agents.

I've got nothing against estate agents or online advertising. It's using one to protect the other that stinks.

As they are now so dominant, it's going to be very difficult for any other website to compete. EAs will be around for a few centuries yet.

Rightmove was founded by the estate agents, just after the news stories about how the new-fangled internet will make all EAs surplus to requirements. Its founding aim was to dominate online house advertising and ensure that nobody other than estate agents can advertise (my opinion, obviously they don't state this). It's as anti-competitive as it gets.

The Money Programme interviewed them last week, and asked them why they don't accept personal ads. Their answer was that individuals might make untrue statements, unlike the good honest estate agents.

I've got nothing against estate agents or online advertising. It's using one to protect the other that stinks.

As they are now so dominant, it's going to be very difficult for any other website to compete. EAs will be around for a few centuries yet.

To explain my position I'd glanced over a story in the FT at the weekend about the decline of the traditional agent, the wiki entry and a few other web snippets and concluded that it would be easy to get onto rightmove.

but if what you've written is true then i'll doth my cyber cap and take on the argument that rightmove are indeed a bunch o shites.

but if what you've written is true then i'll doth my cyber cap and take on the argument that rightmove are indeed a bunch o shites.

It's as true as the BBC :o . There's probably something on their website under The Money Programme somewhere.

Now I want to drink the excrement of a giant space-slug. Don't know why, some subliminal effect.