House Price Crash Forum

Locked Loaded And Moving In

AteMoose

HOLA441

Ive exchanged contracts, zapped 4 years of savings over to my solicitor and im moving in on the 28th of November. Im excited but slightly nervious, hopefully i have managed to negotiate enough of my own crash and talked the price down enough. Ive locked my morgage into a 5 year fixed and im renting out other rooms to friends. The house is lovely, 6 years old, in a city centre near the train station, garage off road parking, 3 bedrooms, lounge, dining, study and 4 toilets...

I have paid 191k, it was originally on the market for 230k

An identical house on the street sold in 2004 for 235k.

The previous owner bought it brand new for 155k for it in 2001.

An identical property on the street sold in 2002 for £195k

am i the last fool? I think i should be ok, however i do think the price will continue to slide down to about 170k....

Edited by moosetea

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Ive exchanged contracts, zapped 4 years of savings over to my solicitor and im moving in on the 28th of November. Im excited but slightly nervious, hopefully i have managed to negotiate enough of my own crash and talked the price down enough. Ive locked my morgage into a 5 year fixed and im renting out other rooms to friends. The house is lovely, 6 years old, in a city centre near the train station, garage off road parking, 3 bedrooms, lounge, dining, study and 4 toilets...

am i the last fool? I think i should be ok, however i do think the price will continue to slide down to about 170k....

Good luck moosetea. I'm sure you'll love it!

HOLA446
Guest Bart of Darkness

From the figures you quote it sounds like you've negotiated a prety decent deal (at least you didn't blindly pay the asking price as many buyers seem to do).

I hope you'll be very happy in your new home.

HOLA447

Looks like you negotiated your own mini HPC , well done , as said above get those banks off your back asap , if/when prices come down you look like youv'e got a built in cushion anyway , good luck

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Good luck Moose.Like you I negotiated discounts on a few properties this Summer but backed out.I think it was a good time to get in,since there were better bargains to be had than for at least three years(Midlands only).

As it is my girlfriend bought a place cash in the end so I didn't have to forsake my Bear feelings.Were it not for that,I too would have jumped in.I don't think members from the South realise the Midlands Market is stuck and a few sellers are cutting and running(and the Moose was ready to profit)

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Good work!

My parents have just had an offer accepted.

£210K on a place that was £239K in Devon. BTLer offloading.

I don't understand how prices are still rising?

HOLA4413

Nice, job well done.

Seems you have the house you wanted at the price you wanted with the terms you want.

Sounds like your time on HPC was not wasted.

HOLA4414

Moose, good luck. Sounds like you got a reasonable deal.

Its people like you who will help bring about more sensible prices.

I firmly believe that 2000-2001 prices were about normal.

Someone else buying on your street may use nethouseprices.com and see

your buy price and negotiate another seller to reduce.

Thing that gets my goat with Rightmove, is they would've had this house on at 230K and this would've fed into their

"price rises", not the £191K that moose paid!

Edited by OzzMosiz

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Well done.

The timing may not be spot on but it sounds as if you have negotiated a great price. Just think, in 25 years (or whenever your mortgage expires) you will be the owner of a 3 bed place for the same price as renting one room.

Mind you - you may get fed up with flatmates after a while but you can always replace with partner/kids etc.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Sounds reasonable.

I have long been of the view that prices recovered to "about right" in 2000/2001 after the early 90's crash. So it was 155 in 2001; add 6 years of 3% ("for natural inflation") and you get 185. And incidentally, 185K is roughly a 20% reduction on 230K. Now in my opinion prices are generally about 20% too high a the moment. A drop from 230K to 185K sounds logical to me.

So it sounds like you have paid a bit over the odds (5%?) but not so much that it's a drama.

Of course you are right to be cautious on what happens next. It could well dip to 170 but in the long term it's a hell of a lot more doable to recover from 170 to 195 than 170 to 230. If you go underwater it shouldnt be for long. The main thing is you are happy with the deal.

I hope you enjoy your new home.

Well done on chipping a bit more off for the rest of us.

A

HOLA4422
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Hope you keep posting,we have already lost the Bear and Casual Observer in the last fortnight,not the Moose as well I hope.

not going anywhere, im still expecting falls :) although my faith is being tested, some plonker a few doors down is trying to sell an identical house to mine at 245k.