House Price Crash Forum

Ea's Fighting For Business

Strange goings on in my local rag over the past few weeks, the local rag is located in Newcastle.

Not only have the EA's been advertising homes for sale in increasingly smaller sized ads in order to fit more to one page but they have now started taking entire pages out, full of adverts with sold stamped across them in order for them to look better thyan each other in the selling of homes.

Even more strange is the fact that they are all doing it, at the end of each EA section is this "Sold" page trying to drum up business. It does not however state how long it took them to sell these said homes so you cant really tell which one is doing better than the other.

If I didn't know any better I'd think that they are all short of business and trying to steal what business there is away from each other by making themselves look more successful than the others with this "Look how many homes we have sold" page.

Is this happening in any other areas ?

Discuss.

Favre

Guest Shedfish

Strange goings on in my local rag over the past few weeks, the local rag is located in Newcastle.

Not only have the EA's been advertising homes for sale in increasingly smaller sized ads in order to fit more to one page but they have now started taking entire pages out, full of adverts with sold stamped across them in order for them to look better thyan each other in the selling of homes.

Even more strange is the fact that they are all doing it, at the end of each EA section is this "Sold" page trying to drum up business. It does not however state how long it took them to sell these said homes so you cant really tell which one is doing better than the other.

If I didn't know any better I'd think that they are all short of business and trying to steal what business there is away from each other by making themselves look more successful than the others with this "Look how many homes we have sold" page.

Is this happening in any other areas ?

Discuss.

Favre

it is in mine - i've watched the property section grow over the last couple of months too.

there are houses marked 'sold', on RM and in the rags, which i know from Land Reg data to have sold more than 3 months ago. one i even saw someone move in.

houses marked 'new', that have been on the market for 18 months.

i had an EA call me saturday trying to put me in a bidding war i'm not certain exists, on a property i went to see a year ago, with a 12% reduction on the price

another EA call from 250 miles away...

let the games begin! :)

I discovered something heartening in a similar vein today. There's a house I pass on the way to work, that Mrs RussellF is particularly enamoured with, that has been sold several times in the past year. A bit out of our league, even with an "adjustment", unless it's a large one, but big, nice, near a pub :D Anyway, it occurred to me that the SOLD sign is still there. Must have gone up a couple of months ago. So I checked on nethouseprices.com, and blow me! The bugger hasn't moved since March. And then it had only risen 7% since May 2003. Don't beleive the hype. Stagnation that you didn't know was there, will give way to drops :)