House Price Crash Forum

Caltex Oil Company? Capital Stock?

treestump

HOLA441
  • 1 month later...
HOLA442

Caltex is listed on the Australian Stock Exchange (ASX - symbol CTX).

Not been taken over to the best of my knowledge. Still trading today. Shares are up about 10 fold in past couple of years (no I didn't buy at the bottom - damn!).

Caltex operates oil refineries, sells petrol at retail outlets etc. Has about 25 - 30% of the Australian petrol market.

Caltex does not produce crude oil so is not a true play on crude oil price BUT refining margins tend to be driven by the same demand factors as the crude price as evidenced by the performance of Caltex in recent times.

In short, it's an oil refining and marketing business. Very well known name in Oz competing with Shell, BP and Mobil. Caltex also operates some retail outlets in Oz under the Ampol brand. Caltex operates some outlets under a deal with Woolworths supermarkets which has boosted sales in recent times. :)

HOLA443

Thanks a lot mate. These shares are from the 1930's and were handed down to my wife by her Father. She seems to think that they were from a Russian company. We will have a look and see if we can find out any more about them.

Thanks again for the info.