House Price Crash Forum

How Many Rental Properties Are Within 1 Mile Of You?

HOLA441

Just thought I would have a quick look as I rent and know there have been a heck of a lot of new builds popping up everywhere nearby, so just done quick check on rightmove and within 1 mile of where I live there are 93 rentals ranging from 2 bed mews, 2 bed apartments etc.

Would you say thats a lot? I would because 2 years ago when I was desperate for a place to move to (5 months pregnant and potentially homeless) I struggled to find a place within my price bracket that didn't have a queue of people after it. Seems to have changed over 24 months and rentals seem plentiful now.

HOLA442

Within 5 minutes walk of here I can think of 5 with boards to let at the moment.

Rightmove says there are 25 within 1 mile of me.

But I think several letting agents don't get listed on it.

http://ononemap.co.uk/map/index?maptype=Rentals

shows only one so I assume most of the ones round here don't list online.

What is becoming more apparent is houses go up for sale and then appear not long after with boards on. I've got to keep checking to see how many actually get sold and how many become accidentally BTL.

HOLA443
HOLA444

We rent a 3 bed semi in N/W London , in April our old landlord wanted his house back as he said he was down sizing , so we moved out of no 32 and into another semi in the same road at no 15 , this house/landlord much better , as for our old landlord at no. 32 downsizing my @rse , his wife had left him and she moved in to no.32 ................lol , there are loads of properties within the area it's take your pick , there is a cheap new build complex of flats about half a mile away , completed over a year ago there has always been at least 6 or 7 boards on the grass outside with either for sale or to let written on them .

Edited by grey shark

HOLA445
HOLA446
Guest wrongmove

Interesting survey.

I searched on Rightmove, all propety types within 1 mile of my postcode = 181 to rent, 382 for sale.

I live within 1 mile of the centre of an East Midlands city.

Rentals range from £1300 pcm for "City Centre Brand new executive 3 bedroom penthouse apartment" to £262 pcm for "a 26 year old female looking for a professional, non smoker (or willing to smoke outside only) to share furnished house in a quiet area".

I prefer the sound of the cheapest one!

Edited by wrongmove

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

I live close to Bristol City Centre, on the less-expensive side of the river, within a mile of both the expensive harbourside developments and some pretty dodgy council estates.

180 properties to rent ranging from £395 for an unfurnished ground floor studio flat to £2500 pcm for a 3-bed harbourside penthouse apartment

290 properties for sale ranging from £54,000 for 40% shared ownership of a 1-bed newbuild flat to £800,000 for an 8-bed semi-detached period house

Quite a few properties listed as being within a mile are clearly further away. Still, that's a lot of rental properties, but only six out of 180 are under £500 pcm. Lots of 1 and 2-bed newbuild BTLs up for rent :lol:

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I live in Cambridge, about 2 miles from the City Centre, and there are fecking hundreds of rentals. Ditto if you go out about 4-5 miles from the City Centre.

Near where I live about 4 out of 5 properties are rentals.

There are plenty of long term empty properties available if I want to move to another rental.

Edited by Bug16

HOLA4414

Just thought I would have a quick look as I rent and know there have been a heck of a lot of new builds popping up everywhere nearby, so just done quick check on rightmove and within 1 mile of where I live there are 93 rentals ranging from 2 bed mews, 2 bed apartments etc.

Would you say thats a lot? I would because 2 years ago when I was desperate for a place to move to (5 months pregnant and potentially homeless) I struggled to find a place within my price bracket that didn't have a queue of people after it. Seems to have changed over 24 months and rentals seem plentiful now.

RatI just searched my post code in Edinburgh and there are more than 200 rentals

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

We have about 100 rentals within a mile ranging from 5.500k for a villa in Moorpark down to a "big" room for 400 a month.

The same with properties to buy...about 100 within a mile ranging from 2.750.000k down to a one bedroom flat in an rough area for 114,950k...thats in Northwood...35 min away from central London...by underground..

Edited by Monopoly

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Damn fine post, loads, approx 150 :o Ask me how many 11 years ago when we moved back up North and rented for a year...? Three, we rented the 3 bed detached for more than a mortgage would have cost due to supply and demand and had 2 kids so the other 2 were too small. Here's another thing, there were no flats in this locality 11 years ago, a third of property to rent are flats - either newbuild or converted..strange times indeed.... <_<

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

On Rightmove

My postcode +1 mile = 365 houses and flats for rent

My postcode + 3 miles = 525

I am paying £500 a month for a 3 bed victorian terrace, there are similar house for rent for as little as £400 per month, but I cant be assed to move. With any luck the landlady will ask for a raise in rent next time the lease is up for renewal and that will give me the excuse to move.

There is a lot more rentals, and a lot more choice now when we was looking a year ago.

A lot of these properties are going to be newbe BTL landlords I would think, I wonder how long these properties can remain void before they have to sell. Considering house prices are pretty stagnant around here in Northamptonshire, so negligable capital gains

Could prove to be an expensive venture, how they will be cursing Kirsty et al.

Reminds me of a saying "build it, and they will come".

Or in this case, BTL and the tenants wont come.

HOLA4424