House Price Crash Forum

where I live (Huntingdonshire) looks that houses are selling, although I don't know whether vendors give discount or not

my theory is that it is London railway line influence that pushes up demand in this area - you can get from Huntingdon station to Liverpool street in less than one hour, so theoretically it could be possible to live here and work in London, an I know of many people who do just this.

[/troll mode on] these Anglo weirdos will never stop to amaze me [/troll mode off]

Edited by alex228
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People were asking about Nottingham rentals etc

Chavtown : St Anns, The Meadows, Bulwell, Forest Fields, Hyson Green, Netherfield, Radford, Broxtowe, Dunkirk, Lenton, Bestwood Park, Ilkeston, Clifton etc etc etc etc etc

terrace house/2-bed flat £50-80k, rent £250-350 (yes there are houses for £50k but you would NOT wanna live there)

Inexpensive, not chav-free, not too bad though : Basford, Gedling, Carlton, Colwick, Long Eaton, Sherwood, Aspley (better parts of),

terrace/2 bed flat £80-110k, rent £300-450

Really quite OK, chav neighbours unlikely: Chilwell (even ex-LA bits not 2 bad), Wilford, Arnold, Kimberley, Nuthall

terrace/flat £100-120k rent £400-500

Sought after but still not too costly considering amenties: Beeston (surpising not more considering hourly direct London train), Attenborough (flood risk keeps prices down), Bramcote (the cheaper parts of), Toton

terrace house/2 bed flat £110-135k , rent £475-550

Posh and expensive, full of Tories - West Bridgford, Wollaton, Edwalton, Bramcote (the pricier parts)

terrace £150k+, rent £600+ perhaps

Mega expensive

The Park

price - I haven't a clue.

Bottom line - Nottingham house prices and rents are not bad considering what you can earn here.

A graduate with a few years experience can earn £25k easily. You can find a 2-up 2-down with a bit needing doing for £90k in a not totally disastrous area. So put 10k down and you're not borrowing much above 3x income which is not bad compared to a lot of places in UK.

How do I know this? From living here on and off for years.

Rental prices are not a lot more than in the mid-90s IMHO.

House prices have gone up but not as much as other cities probably due to media slagging off Nottingham saying its "gun crime capital" and most likely city to have a break-in occur.

I think best place to buy a house which'll hold its value now is.... er, I'm not gonna say in case I want to buy one there. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
The 4 properties that you have chosen are either near St Anns or Bulwell. Both very undesirable.
/

Bulwell isn't that bad is it?

I used to live in Nuthall and worked in Bulwell, whilst being a bit depressed there was still a 'family' orientated populous there (early 1990s), is it really as bad as St Anns?

Bulwell isn't that bad - it's pretty much the same as Hucknall i.e. a working class area, a bit rough and ready with a few ne'erdowells, but it's not even in the same league as St Anns, Meadows or some parts of Broxtowe Estate.

Correct. Maybe what I said sounded a little harsh. I'll downgrade from 'very undesirable' to undesirable! Leaving St Anns as very undesirable!

interesting - maybe nottingham, being closer to london, has seen more SE cash come its way speculatively as its closer, hence pushing the fundamentals even further out of line. Just a thought.

As a resident of Nottm since 1989 I'd have to concurr with this.

We started seeing change here about ten years ago when our beloved council decided giving permission to every Tom, Dick or Harry that wanted to convert our bigger buildings into bars would be good for our economy.

Then we started seeing the emergence of the 'loft living' idea. Money seemed to flow into that with well off parents 'investing' in a flat for their offspring going to our universities.

Then we started seeing restaurants opening charging prices I'd only seen in London.

Unless you are prepared to live on endless credit a lot of the Nottingham eateries became out of local folks price range.

And then word got around that London folk had decided Nottingham was handy for the commute and our house prices rocketed too.

I felt sorry for the young professionals I saw being lured into the more salubrious areas buying up the Victorian terraces which are now dropping in price.

One I've had my eye on has gone from asking price of £124,950 to 'offers over £120,000. Today it was relisted as asking price £119,950.

As a resident of Nottm since 1989 I'd have to concurr with this.

We started seeing change here about ten years ago when our beloved council decided giving permission to every Tom, Dick or Harry that wanted to convert our bigger buildings into bars would be good for our economy.

Then we started seeing the emergence of the 'loft living' idea. Money seemed to flow into that with well off parents 'investing' in a flat for their offspring going to our universities.

Then we started seeing restaurants opening charging prices I'd only seen in London.

Unless you are prepared to live on endless credit a lot of the Nottingham eateries became out of local folks price range.

And then word got around that London folk had decided Nottingham was handy for the commute and our house prices rocketed too.

I felt sorry for the young professionals I saw being lured into the more salubrious areas buying up the Victorian terraces which are now dropping in price.

One I've had my eye on has gone from asking price of £124,950 to 'offers over £120,000. Today it was relisted as asking price £119,950.

I live here too. I'm waiting to buy a house, I think they will definately be cheaper here in time to come.

Too many flats around, which is great for me renting, because there is lots of choice.

So that's 15%, 20%, 7% and 20% respectively.................

I was contacted about a possible job in Nottingham a few months ago, and had a look on rightmove to check out rental costs. I was astonished to find you could rent a decent flat for £300-£350pcm. I have been keeping an eye on the rental prices since, and I swear that rents are going down by the week. The starting price for a one bed flat seems to be £240-£250pcm, and appears to be dropping by about £10 each week as landlords fight to attract tenants.

Seems to me Nottingham has passed into complete meltdown.

Does anybody have any hard evidence on Nottingham rentals to confirm/deny my gut feelings? Can anybody compare like for like rents of properties they were renting two, three, four, five years ago with equivalent spec properties currently on rightmove?

I am interested because I think there is a national over supply of rental property that will drive down rents and bankrupt BTLs, and I think the only thing that is exceptional about Nottingham is that it is the first in a queue of cities and will start a trend that will go through, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Reading, and eventually London.

I went to school in Nottingham and went back to look a while ago. Apart from State industries such as the council / NHS , the universities, and selling drugs what do people do there? Even the Civil Service are laying people off there.

I went to school in Nottingham and went back to look a while ago. Apart from State industries such as the council / NHS , the universities, and selling drugs what do people do there? Even the Civil Service are laying people off there.

Well, you've got Experian, Boots and Capital One HQs based here, and there also appears to be an absolute overload of call-centres.

• 2 weeks later...
They don't want to actually *sell* it. They are just doing it for a laugh! :P

:rolleyes: Yep. :lol:

I can imagine the 'panic' in that household, wondering why it's not selling, without actually considering the fact that few in the area would be able to mortgage to that level due to all the MEWing that's been going on.

You can just picture them scrabbling frantically with the different agents it's been on with willing it to sell. Truth is, I doubt they've actually had any viewings!

I might probe the agent for a laugh... Watch this space :P

Nice to see a good Nottingham contingent.

I'm in Lenton, which one poster I seem to recall predicted somewhat melodramatically would be the Crash centre of the UK (or was that the universe). Looking at the properties around me, it looks like prices have started dropping over the last couple of months: anecdotally about £10k on both 3 bed (£149k-£139k ish) and 2 bed (£125k-£115k ish). Admittedly still butt clenchingly expensive for a student area but I guess we've just got used to it.

Interesting too to see the shift in wording from the EAs, it was "Suitable for FTB or investment purchase" and now it's "Suitable for FTB or Parental purchase". Priced out by students?! Now that does make me cross.

Still a reasonable number of properties up for let which is not a good sign at this time of year in a student area.

Which reminds me of a post I was going to make on the main board...

DM

• 3 weeks later...

From NETHOUSEPRICES

Flat 1,

Fleming House Ockbrook Drive,

Mapperley,

Nottingham,

City Of Nottingham,

NG3 6AS

£133,695

Flat

Leasehold

New Build 21-Jan-2004

Now on Rightmove at £118,000

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-161...=1&tr_t=buy

• 1 month later...

Believe it or not, this house was originally up on the market for 'offers in the region of £400,000'. They obviously had zero interest so have decided to auction it (last resort/quick sale if you ask me...). The guide price is £250,000 so we'll see what it goes for.

The auction is on Monday (8th October 2007) - I'll go down there for a laugh, and report back with the hammer price. ;)

On a different topic, I'm still seeing houses up for sale around my locality which have been up for sale for six months (possibly longer since I didn't really take an interest until about March 2007). i.e. the same houses for sale, same/different EA's. Some are being stubborn and not dropping their prices (hence they're not selling) but even the ones that have dropped obviously still havn't dropped enough because they're still not selling. In a word, round here it's DEAD. :lol:

Edited by JoePublic
Believe it or not, this house was originally up on the market for 'offers in the region of £400,000'. They obviously had zero interest so have decided to auction it (last resort/quick sale if you ask me...). The guide price is £250,000 so we'll see what it goes for.

The auction is on Monday (8th October 2007) - I'll go down there for a laugh, and report back with the hammer price. ;)

On a different topic, I'm still seeing houses up for sale around my locality which have been up for sale for six months (possibly longer since I didn't really take an interest until about March 2007). i.e. the same houses for sale, same/different EA's. Some are being stubborn and not dropping their prices (hence they're not selling) but even the ones that have dropped obviously still havn't dropped enough because they're still not selling. In a word, round here it's DEAD. :lol:

Some rare honesty from the EA:

'BREAKFAST KITCHEN

3.66m(12'0'') x 3.73m(12'3'')

Having what is believed to be the original fitted kitchen comprising laminated wall and base units, curved laminated worksurfaces with inset twin bowl stainless steel sink with chrome mixer tap, inset four ring electric hob with filter hood above, replacement.....'

by the looks of it, they are trying to get a high price based on it's location and the land that comes with it. Cus the place certainly doesn't sound like it's seen a paintbrush and a wallpaper stripper for a while!

My area (Carlton/Netherfield/Mapperley/Gedling) is dead too.

One property up the way that has gone sold/for sale/sold at least four times this year is now up for let.

by the looks of it, they are trying to get a high price based on it's location and the land that comes with it. Cus the place certainly doesn't sound like it's seen a paintbrush and a wallpaper stripper for a while!

According to the details it's been owned by the same person(s) for the last 43 years, I guess they must have passed away, and it's been the EA/beneficiary's greed in asking such prices for it.

From what I've heard though, the bungalow itself is in such a severe state of disrepair, local informants tell me it needs bulldozing and then new build(s!) putting on it so I guess that's what the EA is after.

But no doubt about it - absolutely DEAD around here - the sheeple havn't realised this yet and therefore havn't seen prices dropping, but I know at least one who lives in a very nice place who is incredibly suprised that their house hasn't sold yet. In fact after 4 months on the market they've only had two viewings! I intimated that the price they're asking and the level of affordability that people have these days somewhat don't go together. It fell on deaf ears... ;)

Edited by JoePublic
According to the details it's been owned by the same person(s) for the last 43 years, I guess they must have passed away, and it's been the EA/beneficiary's greed in asking such prices for it.

From what I've heard though, the bungalow itself is in such a severe state of disrepair, local informants tell me it needs bulldozing and then new build(s!) putting on it so I guess that's what the EA is after.

But no doubt about it - absolutely DEAD around here - the sheeple havn't realised this yet and therefore havn't seen prices dropping, but I know at least one who lives in a very nice place who is incredibly suprised that their house hasn't sold yet. In fact after 4 months on the market they've only had two viewings! I intimated that the price they're asking and the level of affordability that people have these days somewhat don't go together. It fell on deaf ears... ;)

You're wrong, prices are rising rapidly:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-159...=1&tr_t=buy