House Price Crash Forum

Landlord's Pets

Our LL has a fish tank at the property. Rather naively, we verbally accepted the responsibility of feeding the fish when we moved in. We overlooked at the time that the tank also requires maintenance/cleaning.

At first, the LL arranged and paid for this to be done when we requested it - no problem. But more recently, he has ignored our requests or fobbed us off and the tank is now in a bad state.

Can a tenant take a similar approach with this issue to any other repairs/maintenance at the property? So can we request that it's done in writing and then, if nothing happens, pay for it ourselves and take it out of the next rent payment?

I'm really regretting not getting something written into the contract about this - but then hindsight is a wonderful thing! Ironically, the contract only states that we aren't allowed to have pets!! :lol:

I would inform the landlord, in writing, that unless he arranges and pays for it, you will not do it, and you are not responsible for any consequences of this that may arise. Or you could do as you suggest and utilise your right of offset, although personally I would probably just wash my hands of it. If you do either, I would advise when you leave to withhold the last months rent - he will probably try and collar you for it.

Dizzy, not sure on this one. Could you prove its not your pet if the LL denies its his? I have a fish tank, and maintenance is a lot of work (and money over the year).

Hmmm, might not be straightforward to prove. I guess we could get a statement from the tank cleaning professional. Other than that, it's quite tricky to prove.

I would inform the landlord, in writing, that unless he arranges and pays for it, you will not do it, and you are not responsible for any consequences of this that may arise. Or you could do as you suggest and utilise your right of offset, although personally I would probably just wash my hands of it. If you do either, I would advise when you leave to withhold the last months rent - he will probably try and collar you for it.

Wouldn't want to wash my hands of it as I'm fed up of having to look at a disgusting tank. Besides, it's not very fair on the fish.