House Price Crash Forum
crash-and-burn

In Denial About Britain - Guardian Article

At the risk of sounding hopelessly pious, it's worth repeating some statistics: not just the fact that 12 million Britons live on or below the poverty line, defined in the case of a two-adult household at £180 per week, but some rather less-quoted numbers. In August unemployment hit a six-year peak of 1.68 million, spurred on by a big fall in the number of manufacturing jobs, now at an all-time low. Contrary to the idea that buying in and trading up are within everyone's reach, one in three of us still live in rented accommodation; according to the Joseph Rowntree Foundation, a third of all working households containing people under 40 "cannot afford to buy even at the low end of local housing markets".

NuLabour are the masters of illusion.

So Kirstie Allsopp hasnt got a clue about whats going on cause the job was given to her because of who her farther knew. :lol: The worst thing everyone listened to what she says :lol:

Edited by crash2006

consider the equally distorting presumption of popular affluence: David Cameron's recent offhand claim that "we've all got mortgages"; Trinny and Susannah's belief that wellbeing and self-esteem lie at the end of a big old shopping spree; the acres of newsstand given over to preening, primping, earning and owning.

This quote is just great. Sums up the state of the nation IMHO. We're becoming a bunch of self-obsessed work-shy moaners without sustance that think the world owes them a living. How quicklythis will all pass whenthe wealth disappears and the next crisis hits us...

Guest Shedfish

i still remember that interview with Kirsty on (i think ITV), where she mentioned HPC, and called HPC irresponsible. what a quote. still astounds me.

Kirsty - huge responsibility for fuelling a boom that has been a huge detriment to society, is bankrupting people in droves, and will quite possibly have a profoundly negative, long term effect on the economy.

HPC - spots ruse, doesn't buy it

as for that detestable bloke. maybe one day he'll be stuck in Hackney or Hull with a dead phone battery, and someone will recognise him. i don't wish for it, but who the hell is he to flippantly condemn places just for the sake of his cheap tacky tabloid airtime.

This quote is just great. Sums up the state of the nation IMHO. We're becoming a bunch of self-obsessed work-shy moaners without sustance that think the world owes them a living. How quicklythis will all pass whenthe wealth disappears and the next crisis hits us...

For many it is becoming increasingly pointless working if it cannot materially affect their circumctances. Do not confuse being workshy with making a conscious decision not to participate, screw the system, op-out altogether. Same goes for training, investment in business and everything else - if people peceive (sometimes correctly, sometimes not) that the prevaling circumstances will deteriorate then they will not do it.

At the risk of sounding hopelessly pious, it's worth repeating some statistics: not just the fact that 12 million Britons live on or below the poverty line, defined in the case of a two-adult household at £180 per week, but some rather less-quoted numbers. In August unemployment hit a six-year peak of 1.68 million, spurred on by a big fall in the number of manufacturing jobs, now at an all-time low. Contrary to the idea that buying in and trading up are within everyone's reach, one in three of us still live in rented accommodation; according to the Joseph Rowntree Foundation, a third of all working households containing people under 40 "cannot afford to buy even at the low end of local housing markets".

NuLabour are the masters of illusion.

Masters of illusion? If only they were - then we wouldn't have to look all around us and see out downright crappy everything is.

It's a great article, though, which sums up just how downtrodden many Brits are. No, not 'only have basic Sky package' downtrodden - proper bona fide downtrodden.

I've said before than when one or two fuses blow the civil unrest of all flavours and banners and causes is going to shock people. Then we'll find out that all these draconian terror laws have nothing do with catching terrorists and are all about containment of the civilian population.

I find myself actually agreeing with Onlyme on the subject of people taking a conscious decision to opt out. It doesn't actually sit well, but ....

For years I worked on the schemes getting long term unemployed adults back into work. Some prior to the minimum wage and some after.

Prior to the minimum wage it was an absolute nightmare. Divorced blokes living in a seriously over priced bedsit simply couldn't afford to go to work in a factory for £2.50 an hour.

Then, the minimum wage came in. Much as most people still hate it, it was a godsend for people like the aforementioned divorcee.

But now, I have to be honest, my conscience wouldn't allow me to do that kind of work.

Rising fuel, food, council tax - you know the list, the damn thing is endless.

Yes, finding employment is certainly not just about money. It is about self-respect, peer group respect, pride and honour. Social interation, skill building and much, much more. But how could I live with myself, encouraging and helping people to get work, which is nearly always on the bottom rung, knowing that the reality is, they were actually making themselves worse off financially?

Yep, a few years down the road they may have progressed, but what happens in the meantime.

The majority of the unemployed I worked with were not and never were "workshy." Scared, angry, underskilled, disallusioned, yes, but the number that are perpetually purposefully unemployed is actually very few.

I particularly like one posters comment invoking Yeats' Slouching Towards Bethlehem. How apt this could be to an HPC/Recession:

Turning and turning in the widening gyre

The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;

Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,

The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere

The ceremony of innocence is drowned;

The best lack all conviction, while the worst

Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;

Surely the Second Coming is at hand.

The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out

When a vast image out of Spritus Mundi

Troubles my sight: somewhere in the sands of the desert.

A shape with lion body and the head of a man,

A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,

Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it

Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.

The darkness drops again; but now I know

That twenty centuries of stony sleep

were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,

And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,

Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

Probably the best thing I have read in a while:

A cloistered metropolitan elite is in denial about Britain.....

Absolutely and John Harris is part of it which is why he takes the predictable media targets to task in order to doublethink his way into suggesting there is a "pseudo-dabate on Muslim integration" or a "monthly spasm of panic about criminal youths".

Obviously that comes from someone who does not live in South London or where excessive immigration isn't leading to tensions as my wife found out a few days ago when she was harangued by three black girls as a "white Polish bitch" or where alcholism,drug abuse,misery,vice,unmarried mothers and feral kids who terrify the shit out of me with their hooded tops and who beat people up for 'looking the wrong way' at them.

As for the pseudo-debate it is a pseudo-debate because both New Lab and the sinister Islamist-Leninist 'Respect' Party and their affiliates are trying to ramp an atmosphere of furtive hysteria and manipulate pathological alienation about the terror threat into support for their power hungry agendas.

Meanwhile, a futile war in Iraq continues to drag on because we want cheap Easyjet flights,to drive our cars everywhere and have Utopian illusions about an economy based on huge private debt fuelled consumption that at present is larger than Latin America and is likely to collapse catastrophically with an oil priceshock that would come with widespread instability in the Middle East.

New Labour knows it has to resort to draconian legislation and a state of constant surveillance and introduce ID cards that erode civil liberties because it is a necessary consequence of mass immigration,wars to control and remodel the Middle East on secular liberal lines and control it geopolitically because of the growing power of China,the nation to which our manufacturing industry has been "outsourced".

As for the centre-left commentators they just witter on pallidly about multi-culti pieties that just reveal themselves to be pathetically inadequate forms of guilt ridden drivel to conceal the failure of using mass immigration as a tool of social engineering throughout the 1990s and at having created a miserable atomised society of deracinated consumers and fearful suspicious people who no longer have any idea of belonging to a society or a nation that means anything to them.

The result will inevitably be psychopathological terror,the need for curtailment of civil liberties, mass rioting in the inner cities,and more hand wring drivel from the stale remnants of the 1968 generation in deep deep denial at the dystopia they have created.

My Effort:

Machel & Co,

While it may not come as a suprise to you that as the husband to, and son of immigrants I view the BNP as a bunch of dangerous nutcases, your knee-jerk response that anyone who questions multi-culturalism and uncontrolled mass immigration MUST be members of the BNP does you no favours.

There are legitimate reasons for opposing multi-culturalism and mass-mmigration such as loss of social cohesion, "ghetto-fication", virtual aparthied, depressed wages, rising unemployment, over-burdening of our already creaking infrasturcture and inflated property prices.

By telling anyone who questions the dogma that multi-culturalism and uncontrolled mass immigration are the best thing since sliced bread, all you are doing is convincing them that they ARE in fact BNP supporters. And dont be suprised when large sections of the population start voting for them! Its your bloody fault!

Probably the best thing I have read in a while:

A cloistered metropolitan elite is in denial about Britain.....

Absolutely and John Harris is part of it which is why he takes the predictable media targets to task in order to doublethink his way into suggesting there is a "pseudo-dabate on Muslim integration" or a "monthly spasm of panic about criminal youths".

Obviously that comes from someone who does not live in South London or where excessive immigration isn't leading to tensions as my wife found out a few days ago when she was harangued by three black girls as a "white Polish bitch" or where alcholism,drug abuse,misery,vice,unmarried mothers and feral kids who terrify the shit out of me with their hooded tops and who beat people up for 'looking the wrong way' at them.

As for the pseudo-debate it is a pseudo-debate because both New Lab and the sinister Islamist-Leninist 'Respect' Party and their affiliates are trying to ramp an atmosphere of furtive hysteria and manipulate pathological alienation about the terror threat into support for their power hungry agendas.

Meanwhile, a futile war in Iraq continues to drag on because we want cheap Easyjet flights,to drive our cars everywhere and have Utopian illusions about an economy based on huge private debt fuelled consumption that at present is larger than Latin America and is likely to collapse catastrophically with an oil priceshock that would come with widespread instability in the Middle East.

New Labour knows it has to resort to draconian legislation and a state of constant surveillance and introduce ID cards that erode civil liberties because it is a necessary consequence of mass immigration,wars to control and remodel the Middle East on secular liberal lines and control it geopolitically because of the growing power of China,the nation to which our manufacturing industry has been "outsourced".

As for the centre-left commentators they just witter on pallidly about multi-culti pieties that just reveal themselves to be pathetically inadequate forms of guilt ridden drivel to conceal the failure of using mass immigration as a tool of social engineering throughout the 1990s and at having created a miserable atomised society of deracinated consumers and fearful suspicious people who no longer have any idea of belonging to a society or a nation that means anything to them.

The result will inevitably be psychopathological terror,the need for curtailment of civil liberties, mass rioting in the inner cities,and more hand wring drivel from the stale remnants of the 1968 generation in deep deep denial at the dystopia they have created.

Well at least you've got that of your chest now ...........

So in a word your saying we're Fu***d ......................................................well i agree ;)

Masters of illusion? If only they were - then we wouldn't have to look all around us and see out downright crappy everything is.

I've said before than when one or two fuses blow the civil unrest of all flavours and banners and causes is going to shock people. Then we'll find out that all these draconian terror laws have nothing do with catching terrorists and are all about containment of the civilian population.

Fyckin A right!

Edited by Johnny Cash