House Price Crash Forum

Getting Out Of Tenancy Early - Your Thoughts Please?

My partner and I signed a tenancy agreement which we want to end 1 month early as will be moving to another part of the UK.Our landlord has agreed to us moving out on the date suggested and has confirmed willingness to be flexible.This has been helped by the fact that I offered to find new tenants as a courtesy, as my landlord lives out of the area. Several people have asked me why I'm bothering to do this as they say all I have to do is give notice...This has now planted the seeds of doubt.Doing a bit of research, I now understand that with certain tenancies, I may actually be obliged to do so or be liable for the rent for the whole tenancy period.We can't afford to do this, and even if we could cover the rent, wouldn't this be breaking a tenancy agreement if we moved away early anyway, as I understand you're not meant to leave a rented property empty for longer than a 2 week period???

I'm going to serve a notice of termination of contract which confirms the landlord's agreement, but does anyone have any other thoughts on how I should proceed with this situation?If anyone has any ideas for how I could word the notice of termination letter (nicely, as we have a very good relationship with our landlord at present!), that would also be great.

You are liable for the rent during the fixed term of the contract. If you get in writing from the landlord that he has happy to let you go, you will no longer have this obligation. You need not write a "termination of contract", just give formal written notice of the date you are intending to leave, and ask for confirmation back in writing that this is ok.

And, the 2 weeks thing is rubbish.

You are liable for the rent during the fixed term of the contract. If you get in writing from the landlord that he has happy to let you go, you will no longer have this obligation. You need not write a "termination of contract", just give formal written notice of the date you are intending to leave, and ask for confirmation back in writing that this is ok.

And, the 2 weeks thing is rubbish.

Thanks for your reply.Can you explain what you mean about the 2 weeks thing being rubbish though?If we went away for up to 4 weeks leaving the house empty, for example, would that break the contract?I know this definitely affects house insurance, and thought it also applied to tenancy agreements too (sure I've seen it written into some?)

No it does not affect tenancy agreements. However, if written in, it MAY affect it, but not automatically break it. However, I would argue that it is an unfair term as it infringes upon the tenants right to quiet enjoyment of the property. Suffice to say, in this situation, it has nothing to do with it, and there is certainly nothing written in law about it.

The letter went off yesterday, so hopefully written confirmation will do the trick.As for leaving the house empty, your info has surprised me but sounds feasible, especially thinking about long holidays etc.Even if a tenant was to go back for 1 weekend in the middle of a good few weeks away, this would surely satisfy any conditions written into the tenancy?Thanks again.