House Price Crash Forum
Objective Developer

Young Asians Playing And Working Hard

There are only a two good bits in this article; the picture of the two girls at the top (childish but I have needs damn it!), and this little gem:

‘And while they save their money and invest in property, they also like to show how well they are doing. Natasha has a love of designer clothes; Ravi lives in a £500,000 penthouse in London Fields.’

Fair play. Work hard, spend some, save some, date gorgeous woman, sounds great. If there is a correction, then as long as they haven’t geared them selves up to the eyeballs, the future looks pretty bright for this lot.

I'd like to be an Asian Millionaire!

There are only a two good bits in this article; the picture of the two girls at the top (childish but I have needs damn it!), and this little gem:

‘And while they save their money and invest in property, they also like to show how well they are doing. Natasha has a love of designer clothes; Ravi lives in a £500,000 penthouse in London Fields.’

Fair play. Work hard, spend some, save some, date gorgeous woman, sounds great. If there is a correction, then as long as they haven’t geared them selves up to the eyeballs, the future looks pretty bright for this lot.

Are they supposed to be doing anything that much of the rest of the UK isn't? How much is debt and a few flash trappings, how much is real wealth?

Here's your link,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6054684.stm

Edited by bachelor

Ayia Napa, drug capital of Europe for a few years.... hmmm.. I know a couple of 'promoters' - both of them were also pretty serious dealers on the side - note, I am not suggesting he is, but the ones I know are....

Ayia Napa, drug capital of Europe for a few years.... hmmm.. I know a couple of 'promoters' - both of them were also pretty serious dealers on the side - note, I am not suggesting he is, but the ones I know are....

Rachman, we could shake hands up to the elbows in our previous experiences it seems.

I'll leave it at this; I know a restaurant owner pretty well, whose biggest problem is convincing the Tax man that he can turn one chicken into £70 profit. I'll say no more.

The real truth behind these self made men??

one does wonder how an 18 year old became a millionaire... or am I lacking in generosity of spirit here?

Certainly, the promoters I know don't tend to have "side operations", and they find that it isn't a particularly lucrative trade to be in.

I note there was no mention of the wonderful, well-known, successful brands/clubs/operations that this guy was involved in?

How embarrassing would it be for the Beeb if it later transpired they were trumpeting the acheivements of a pusher?

It does rouse suspicions, but hey... maybe he's just a genius. :unsure:

one does wonder how an 18 year old became a millionaire... or am I lacking in generosity of spirit here?

Certainly, the promoters I know don't tend to have "side operations", and they find that it isn't a particularly lucrative trade to be in.

I note there was no mention of the wonderful, well-known, successful brands/clubs/operations that this guy was involved in?

How embarrassing would it be for the Beeb if it later transpired they were trumpeting the acheivements of a pusher?

It does rouse suspicions, but hey... maybe he's just a genius. :unsure:

...or a fantasist?

Rachman, we could shake hands up to the elbows in our previous experiences it seems.

I'll leave it at this; I know a restaurant owner pretty well, whose biggest problem is convincing the Tax man that he can turn one chicken into £70 profit. I'll say no more.

The real truth behind these self made men??

I know someone that made their millions out of laundry of all things (ironic?) Hey, two jokes in the same line! Err, where was I........yes, laundry. After a while of knowing this person I discovered all the workers and contacts were of foreign extract , some with no English at all. Many would scurry away when they saw people they didn't recognise, almost as if they should not be in the country. :ph34r:

I know someone that made their millions out of laundry of all things (ironic?) Hey, two jokes in the same line! Err, where was I........yes, laundry. After a while of knowing this person I discovered all the workers and contacts were of foreign extract , some with no English at all. Many would scurry away when they saw people they didn't recognise, almost as if they should not be in the country. :ph34r:

Cheap foreign labour? Surely not... :o

Cheap foreign labour? Surely not... :o

Cheap being the operative word. Say you had no right to be in the country, minimum basic wage does not apply as the worker is hardly likely to go to the authorities are they?

About 10 years ago I worked in North London at a manufacturing and distribution plant for a major player in the movie business. The company employed a lot of temps working a 24 hour shift packing stuff. One morning, as I was coming into the building a stream of these temps came hurtling out of the place and vanished up the road. I later discovered that we had customs and immigration guys checking out our workforce.

Guest Cletus VanDamme

Those that live the designer lifestyle to keep up appearances quickly go bust. Seen it happen a thousand times.

Good luck to 'em though.

Cheap being the operative word. Say you had no right to be in the country, minimum basic wage does not apply as the worker is hardly likely to go to the authorities are they?

About 10 years ago I worked in North London at a manufacturing and distribution plant for a major player in the movie business. The company employed a lot of temps working a 24 hour shift packing stuff. One morning, as I was coming into the building a stream of these temps came hurtling out of the place and vanished up the road. I later discovered that we had customs and immigration guys checking out our workforce.

and I might add, such workers are incredibly vulnerable to exploitation of all kinds from their bosses. Makes one wonder why they don't just go home - but then again, once they've served their time, or married a UK passport holder, suddenly the freebies become available.

On another tangent, a surprising number of the bosses themselves tend to be illegals - see that guy at Lunar House accused of processing illegals in exchange for sexual favours recently. Anecdotally, I know of many similar examples.

The comments on this thread seem a bit bitter guys, accept it for what it is, a poor piece of non specific journalism.. <_< The 'race references' in the article are are quite sickening really with their hidden meaning of patronisation...don't add to them please..

If making a million is that easy, everyone honest would do it. But the simple facts of the economy are that not everyone can do it, and this type of situation reminds me of people like Donald Trump, who believe that poor people just don't want to be rich. Making a million is hard, and carries risk, and often a liberal interpretation of honesty.

I am struggling to see what the news-worthiness of this article is. Is it supposed to be part of a BBC policy to encourage asians to not become extremists by giving them other role models?!

So they have 2 examples, hmm, hardly definitive then. How about "Young Asians Living on Council Estates and not Working ", which I'm sure is an equally accurate (or inaccurate) portrayal

The comments on this thread seem a bit bitter guys, accept it for what it is, a poor piece of non specific journalism.. <_< The 'race references' in the article are are quite sickening really with their hidden meaning of patronisation...don't add to them please..

When you say 'bitter comments' can you point one out please as they seem to have passed me by.

As someone fascinated with pessimists vs optimists this thread caught my eye.

Asians generally are more likely to be optimists in my experience. A far greater percentage of the many Asians I have met tend towards property investing than is the case for the anglo saxon or black population.

20 years ago I knew a lot of Asians in N London. One of thier favorite sayings was "pensions are for white Men". To a Man they were already building property portfolios and they had this obsession with building portfolios to leave thier children.

An oxymoron if ever I saw one. ;)

</jealousy>

London Fields is a rank area of Hackney, for the uninitiated, where the "nice" houses are all in gated developments surrounded by graffiti daubed walls and a cyclist recently got stabbed riding his bike through the "fields" ( a windswept park of about 5 acres). And there's no tube.

I am struggling to see what the news-worthiness of this article is. Is it supposed to be part of a BBC policy to encourage asians to not become extremists by giving them other role models?!

So they have 2 examples, hmm, hardly definitive then. How about "Young Asians Living on Council Estates and not Working ", which I'm sure is an equally accurate (or inaccurate) portrayal

There is no relevance, it's appaling, "Britsh kids make good despite the colour of their skin" could have been the headline. Tomorrow "Asain hoodie youths caught hanging around Ilford station, where did it all go so wrong". This piece of journalism is not even '6th form' standard...