House Price Crash Forum

Speculation

Guest Shedfish

there's one house that's been on my radar for a while - 3 storey listed building, a bit shabby, no parking, no garden, but i kind of like it. at least 7 months on the market. probably more.

i can't believe my eyes. the price movements on a house that's had no interest in all that time

initially saw it on at 140k - no interest.

up to 150k after no offers - no interest.

then up to 160k after no offers at 150k - no interest.

then on at auction, guide 150k

kept on auction advert at 150, and readvertised as a straight sale, 160k. no interest

price moved UP to 170k. no interest

currently on at 175k

the world has gone mad. i also stuck this on the 'prices in your area' bit, but it seems i'm more or less the sole representative for staffs on here? either that or everyone thinks i'm a tw@t :D

i know to some the price may not look too stellar, but staffs is 'cheap' compared to many areas. 175k for a house opposite a kebab shop is not typical.

Seen lots of those throughout the country, on for over a year.

The asking price gets increased to follow the market. I think they do it hoping for a nice windfall. It costs them nothing.

Either that or they're looking for a greater fool.

I put very small offers for these sorts occasionally, that costs nothing either!

:)

Most are 40-50% above auction values.

Some EA's phone back over 6 months later [despite the asking price escalating with the market], showing interest!

It's all a bit ridiculous.

Greed and EA's on percentages.

I have always agreed a fixed price with the EA, much less than 1%. Good ones work just as hard.

there's one house that's been on my radar for a while - 3 storey listed building, a bit shabby, no parking, no garden, but i kind of like it. at least 7 months on the market. probably more.

i can't believe my eyes. the price movements on a house that's had no interest in all that time

kept on auction advert at 150, and readvertised as a straight sale, 160k. no interest

currently on at 175k

the world has gone mad. i also stuck this on the 'prices in your area' bit, but it seems i'm more or less the sole representative for staffs on here? either that or everyone thinks i'm a tw@t :D

i know to some the price may not look too stellar, but staffs is 'cheap' compared to many areas. 175k for a house opposite a kebab shop is not typical.

Yeah, I've been watching that one too. I've spotted the price jumping around but haven't really tracked how it's moved. Is the latest price really 175k though? It's also listed on rightmove at 150k.

Is it really opposite a kebab shop!?

Based on what's on offer round here your listed 3 bed house looks cheap

Have a look at this For a tiny three bed terrace house in a crummy part of town in return for just under 180K- what a joke. Maybe it's no surprise the photos of the 3 bedrooms aren't listed- got to be tiny based on the downstairs layout.

Guest Shedfish

Yeah, I've been watching that one too. I've spotted the price jumping around but haven't really tracked how it's moved. Is the latest price really 175k though? It's also listed on rightmove at 150k.

Is it really opposite a kebab shop!?

yep, opposite a kebab shop / chippy called 'Stones'. some boarded up windows above it or next door, i can't remember

it's double listed, auction at 150k guide and for sale at (now) 175k... it's the latter listing that's leapt aroud, the auction one is relatively recent

Seen lots of those throughout the country, on for over a year.

The asking price gets increased to follow the market. I think they do it hoping for a nice windfall. It costs them nothing.

Either that or they're looking for a greater fool.

I put very small offers for these sorts occasionally, that costs nothing either!

:)

point taken about following the market up! but the lower end market in this town hasn't budged in this time frame - most i've been watching have come down. certainly no +25s

Guest grumpy-old-man

currently on at 175k

that house has a nice look to it shedfish :)

it also has a huge garden to the left with a large driveway & executive entrance ;)

Guest Shedfish

that house has a nice look to it shedfish :)

it also has a huge garden to the left with a large driveway & executive entrance ;)

..and a spiritual path by way of exit. you'd never want to lie down in it

they are not really trying to sell, just kiting for a mug punter.

it's a stunt kite

:D

I live in Stone. It's a pretty good area around there. I go to the amateur dramatics group next door to that house. There are quite a few properties not going in Stone. The ex-manager of Stoke used to live in Stone and his property has now been for sale in Dalton Close for a year. My mother in laws house has also been on the market for four months with very little interest. Everyone is hoping for a "spring bounce" and saying that it is rare for houses to be sold on the run up to Christmas. Hold on seems to be the words for today.

Guest Shedfish

I live in Stone. It's a pretty good area around there. I go to the amateur dramatics group next door to that house. There are quite a few properties not going in Stone. The ex-manager of Stoke used to live in Stone and his property has now been for sale in Dalton Close for a year. My mother in laws house has also been on the market for four months with very little interest. Everyone is hoping for a "spring bounce" and saying that it is rare for houses to be sold on the run up to Christmas. Hold on seems to be the words for today.

Church St's really nice, and as handy for town as it gets - i've been to see 4 or 5 houses up there... one's just popped up on RM, looks like a nice place, attic room and everything. my wallet started to twitch but at 125k i think it's overpriced compared with what the normal terraces up there (should) sell for. contemplating going and having a look... someone talk me out of it please? i know keeping my powder dry is the best thing to do, but i'm having an irrational exhuberance moment...

Buy it. Go on! Next to the canal, near the river for canoeing. Nice walks around town. Fantastic restaurants which people travel for miles to. 6 roads make it excellent for travel. Near the M6. They have even reopened the railway station! Less than an hour to both Manchester and Birmingham. I could be an EA....

Which ex-Stoke manager, Amoeba? D'you have a link so I can be nosey?

Guest Shedfish

Buy it. Go on! Next to the canal, near the river for canoeing. Nice walks around town. Fantastic restaurants which people travel for miles to. 6 roads make it excellent for travel. Near the M6. They have even reopened the railway station! Less than an hour to both Manchester and Birmingham. I could be an EA....

i could almost suspect you are :D

could i taunt you with a BMV offer?

I've never posted a link before so it might go wrong.

It is 399,999 5 bedrooms dalton drive just off the eccleshall road

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-535...=3&tr_t=buy

The manager used to be icelandic. In fact my wife has a friend who lives next door to the ex-manager and three of sons play for Iceland. When England played Iceland they went back to the house and my wife and her friend had the bizzare situation of seeing the highlights on the telly and seeing the same people in their back garden next door!

The manager used to be icelandic. Woops I'm a bit drunk. He still is Icelandic but he is not the Stoke manager anymore. His first name is Gudjun (hence his sons are the Gudjunsens, Joey, Bijarni (?Spelling) and I forgot the other ones name!)

The manager used to be icelandic. In fact my wife has a friend who lives next door to the ex-manager and three of sons play for Iceland. When England played Iceland they went back to the house and my wife and her friend had the bizzare situation of seeing the highlights on the telly and seeing the same people in their back garden next door!

Christ, you can't get a decent two bed flat down here for that. Now when houses like that are for sale for that down here in Brighton then we are hitting realistic levels.

The manager used to be icelandic. Woops I'm a bit drunk. He still is Icelandic but he is not the Stoke manager anymore. His first name is Gudjun (hence his sons are the Gudjunsens, Joey, Bijarni (?Spelling) and I forgot the other ones name!)

Ah Gudjon!! His other son was Thordur. Gudjon was responsible for one of the happiest moments of my life (beating Cardiff in the play-off semi-final). I might have to buy the plave for the honour of peeing in the same toilet as him!