House Price Crash Forum

How Much Debt Are You In?

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1. Do you have more debt now then you have ever had?

Absolutely debt free.

2. How much up or down has your debt fluctuated over the last 4 years?

Recently paid off a small oustanding fixed rate loan used to buy a car (required rather than wanted). 15k savings as FTB.

Future plans:

- Watching all financial events unfold with hope that I can buy a place for my family!

- Staying in employment.

- Getting married in the summer for under 3k. All paid for. ;)

No, have 0 debt at present

2. How much up or down has your debt fluctuated over the last 4 years?

Has only fluctated when I have had a CC bill to pay which always gets when it is due so I guess the answer is 0

37, Married with 1 newborn. Born in gutter with a childhood and teenage years of no phone (landline or otherwise), no holidays, no car, no heating ("wear another jumper"), home made clothing living in a damp rented 1 bed flat in London. Mums rented flat was repossessed in 1995 (landlord failed to pay mortgage) and Mum, my sister and I was made homeless

In desperation worked for no pay (except tube fare) for a private bank as a programmer for 3 months to gain work experience and, after hard work, was rewarded with a 6 month contract for £450pw (not bad for a 24 year old back in 1995).

Worked hard ever since. Except for my student grant, NEVER claimed state benefits, even when homeless.

Bought 3 bed terrace house in SW london for 113K in 1999, wife bought 2 bed terrace in lancashire for 35K

in 1996, got married in 2005 and we sold our houses and bought a 6 bed detached in east herts in 2006

- the house is a family home, not an investment. Currently have 220K mortgage with 12 years to go (never MEW'd)

No other debts

25K cash, 30K in shares with my employer

>110K joint income

Just to show that with hard work you can make it, even if you're dealt a poor hand at the start.

edited for spelling

Edited by Furry Giraffe

debt- 0

income -0

savings, declining.

I purchased my first house very young, struggled like crazy during the last recession, working full time, overtime and extra nursing jobs.

The house was paid off 8 yrs ago, I then remortgaged and purchased a flat for my father to have somewhere settled.

Through injury, I lost my job, I did get a pay out and paid what was owing 3 yrs ago.

Since then relationship break up has cost me financially and although I am recovering from surgery due to the injury I am entitled to zilch on our benefits system.

I am called a liar as I refuse to ask my father for rent, yes, there are ways around it but I dont want any pressure on him.

37, Married with 1 newborn. Born in gutter with a childhood and teenage years of no phone (landline or otherwise), no holidays, no car, no heating ("wear another jumper"), home made clothing living in a damp rented 1 bed flat in London. Mums rented flat was repossessed in 1995 (landlord failed to pay mortgage) and Mum, my sister and I was made homeless

In desperation worked for no pay (except tube fare) for a private bank as a programmer for 3 months to gain work experience and, after hard work, was rewarded with a 6 month contract for £450pw (not bad for a 24 year old back in 1995).

Worked hard ever since. Except for my student grant, NEVER claimed state benefits, even when homeless.

Bought 3 bed terrace house in SW london for 113K in 1999, wife bought 2 bed terrace in lancashire for 35K

in 1996, got married in 2005 and we sold our houses and bought a 6 bed detached in east herts in 2006

- the house is a family home, not an investment. Currently have 220K mortgage with 12 years to go (never MEW'd)

No other debts

25K cash, 30K in shares with my employer

>110K joint income

Just to show that with hard work you can make it, even if you're dealt a poor hand at the start.

edited for spelling

You couldn't do it now. That's the problem with the bubble. We should live in a society where hard work is rewarded and people can pull themselves out of the gutter.

2. How much up or down has your debt fluctuated over the last 4 years?[/b]

1) Neither me nor my other half have any debt.

2) What debt we had four years ago has been completely repaid from savings.

I borrowed a fiver from my brother yesterday, does that count? :D

Otherwise: nada. Zip, zilch, diddly squat. No store cards, credit cards, overdrafts, loans or mortgages: I owe not one single, solitary penny to anyone, anywhere, and it's a great feeling. My house-deposit fund, meanwhile is growing nicely, held mainly in PMs / NS&I / cash.

If someone who shall remain nameless hadn't just arranged for me to be taxed to buggery and back for the rest of my life to bail out some spivvy so-called "bankers", I'd be feeling quite chuffed right now...

Edited by pideypuss
debt- 0

income -0

savings, declining.

I purchased my first house very young, struggled like crazy during the last recession, working full time, overtime and extra nursing jobs.

The house was paid off 8 yrs ago, I then remortgaged and purchased a flat for my father to have somewhere settled.

Through injury, I lost my job, I did get a pay out and paid what was owing 3 yrs ago.

Since then relationship break up has cost me financially and although I am recovering from surgery due to the injury I am entitled to zilch on our benefits system.

I am called a liar as I refuse to ask my father for rent, yes, there are ways around it but I dont want any pressure on him.

I hope thngs work out you deserve it doing the right thing by the old man

I think as others have said you will get a totally biased result from asking in these boards. I always lived frugally so never got myself into debt, working whilst I was at Uni, and renting cheap, eating badly and saving every pound I could. Then I met my partner almost a decade later who inherited her gran's 300k apartment at 21 (we're both around 30 now, and the gran's still alive but already has another two properties), and so I ended up mortgage and rent free... which was nice.

If I was you I would make sure she is something other than a partner sooner rather than later............otherwise you might be a FTB ;)

Around £10k student loan which I won't ever pay off unless they change the earning criteria.

Around 10k in savings

Around 2k 0% overdraft

Some on CC which gets paid every month.

Don't pay tax as I don't enjoy working however will no doubt be accountable for national debt though stealth taxes like inflation.

Sorry, PoP should have been clearer. Starters, rougan josh & pilau rice, chapati and garlic nan, coffee and malt whisky for 2. The Red Fort, Drummond Street, Edinburgh. Very tasty and reasonable - even let you bring real ale in from the pub next door if you can't abide fizzy lager.

Sorry, PoP should have been clearer. Starters, rougan josh & pilau rice, chapati and garlic nan, coffee and malt whisky for 2. The Red Fort, Drummond Street, Edinburgh. Very tasty and reasonable - even let you bring real ale in from the pub next door if you can't abide fizzy lager.

Nice work. However you must like an ice cold Cobra with a ruby ? Delicious. My beer of choice - along with Best.

s_cobra-beer.jpg

Check out the head on that !!

3315540927_b738580193.jpg

That's a really simplistic and cynical way of looking at things ?? :blink::blink:

Maybe s/he enjoyed doing that MBA and derived a lot of satisfaction from it. Far more fulfilling than stacking shelves for an extra x hours per week. Maybe there was nowt on offer at the end : so be it !

Good on yer OP - I'd do the same.

If the person running your business has an MBA, get out quick because the building is already on fire.