House Price Crash Forum

A Little Birdy Tells Me...

HOLA441

Now that is a very private conversation which i would not want to put on a very public forum, but i will leave it to your imagination. B)

But it would be far more interesting and pleasing from obviously only my point of view, rather than typing in dialogue about this forum's headline subject? ;)

Having come from quite a poor background, and having struggled like most other people when I was in my 20s/early 30's, I find that beyond living comfortably now and not having to worry about bills, money doesn't really mean much.

Wnen I didn't have any I dreamt about what it would be like to be wealthy. Now that I have more than I need, I'm no longer interested in it! I often feel I should spend more, but when I do it doesn't make me any happier than I currently am.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Having come from quite a poor background, and having struggled like most other people when I was in my 20s/early 30's, I find that beyond living comfortably now and not having to worry about bills, money doesn't really mean much.

Wnen I didn't have any I dreamt about what it would be like to be wealthy. Now that I have more than I need, I'm no longer interested in it! I often feel I should spend more, but when I do it doesn't make me any happier than I currently am.

I know that feeling....

(Throws another roll of 20's on the fire)

HOLA443

But that is just it, that is why i post on here, not that i want a cheap house, not that i want to be wealthy, not that i want lots of money.

The important thing is being able to work for a fair day's pay, but most importantly, being able to fund a normal life style with that fair days pay.

By what i mean a normal life style is, to be able to purchase a house to live in, not to rent out, so to raise a family in, not a big house, but a house which is functional and is fit for purpose etc!

The disconnection between house price affordability and a fair day's pay is well we all know, and the only way the disconnect will reconnect is for a property crash, and the one thing which will cause this crash is interest rates, while they remain below nominal, i do NOT think they will crash, but i do not know, like i do not know what the base rate will do, up or down who know's not you, not me.

So when you make predictions, i can only assume they are based on your personal interests, as if you did know, you would not be on here, you would be busy, very busy i would only guess.

When i state a normal life style i am talking about young decent couples who are priced out of the market due to speculators, and very loose lending controls to people who have pushed the property market up so high that it is started to become embarrasing i feel.

This site is not about wealth, or buying cheap houses, or making money, it is about the connection between house prices and earnings, and this connection is at breaking point i feel, but what do i know hey?????

HOLA444
Guest Charlie The Tramp

Same here, myself having come from a very poor background, as a very young lad I would see every day the local bookmaker drive around in his Roller. I vowed one day I would have one myself. Now that is possible I have no interest in buying one. In this credit ridden society we buy on impulse, but if you saved for what you want, you would find when you have the money, you no longer want that item you were saving for. :)

HOLA445

Same here, myself having come from a very poor background, as a very young lad I would see every day the local bookmaker drive around in his Roller. I vowed one day I would have one myself. Now that is possible I have no interest in buying one. In this credit ridden society we buy on impulse, but if you saved for what you want, you would find when you have the money, you no longer want that item you were saving for. :)

that is because it is easier to thoughtlessly fritter away money you don't have and haven't earned yet... if you have worked, earnt and saved, one tends to be a bit more careful about how you employ that dosh.

This is why savers are currently thought of as less valuable citizen-consumers. Similarly, the cult of youth that we have nowadays, and the obsession with remaining young (along with a commensurate deterioration in the respect shown for the more mature)... the young are more voracious consumers - and, by happy co-incidence, the stuff they buy is the stuff which has been deflating in price

HOLA446

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061003/wl_uk...taineconomybank

by Roland Jackson 2 hours, 11 minutes ago

LONDON (AFP) - Bank of England policymakers are forecast to hold British interest rates at 4.75 percent on Thursday, but all eyes will be on a possible increase in November, according to analysts.
All 35 economists quizzed by financial newswire AFX News said they expected the central bank's Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) to freeze rates
after the two-day huddle, as they continue their wait-and-see policy on the economy.

I think the Muppets might just hike--Merv needs to prove that he is independent of his boss at No. 11. If he doesn't hike all his talk about being "vigilant" is worthless and his credibility on the world scene will diminish.

I'd have to agree, the bank have said if people keep spending theyll keep raising rates.

Debt zoomed from £1trillion to £1.2trillion in no time at all, mortgage debt is at record levels yet the Bank have raised rates just a pitiful .25%, it appears to be empty threats unless they start backing up their threats with action.

Edited by simon99

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Give this whatever credence you like, but a F-O-A-F who works 'in the department' says the interest rate rise is 'certain' for this month. He even explained why:-

The know another rise is needed. The latest data proves it. HOWEVER, they can't wait till NEXT month, because it's too close to Xmas.

If they don't do it THIS month, they will have to wait till the new year.

5% here we come.

PG , you just lost a bit of credibility there sunshine , but nice try though , your gonna have to have a word with your little birdy ;)

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

That is the problem with BBs. When you put you neck on the block and your Friend of a friend lets you down it is you who looks stupid.

I think PG got this little bit of advice from one of 2 birdy's either it was Cuckoo or possibly Marina who PG has a special friendship with .

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I don't trust economists, government officials, EAs, VIs or any of the other muppets out there to feed me info, so why would I listen to a little bird?

These pinches of salt are become handfuls!

Agreed most are full of the brown stuff and put there own interests first , best to do your own research and come to your own conclusions . Propert Guru does talk a lot of sense although usually with a pinch of arrogance , but this time old beef cake got caught out , by of all things a ......................................little birdy :lol: ffs :lol:

Edited by grey shark

HOLA4415

Agreed most are full of the brown stuff and put there own interests first , best to do your own research and come to your own conclusions . Propert Guru does talk a lot of sense although usually with a pinch of arrogance , but this time old beef cake got caught out , by of all things a ......................................little birdy :lol: ffs :lol:

Apologies guys, faulty info.

I DID say take it however you like, and admitted yesterday I thought I'd been fed a trout...

Perhaps this site is more important than we think when they deliberately try to spread disinformation like this! (<conspiracy hat off>)

So I guess that means no more interest rate rises, ever...

:P

HOLA4416

Apologies guys, faulty info.

So I guess that means no more interest rate rises, ever...

:P

Apology accepted ;) ,

the barrrrstards should of been raising months ago , now we wait till November and hope that in that time they don't find enough pathetic excuses before then to keep them on hold AGAIN .

HOLA4417

Apology accepted ;) ,

the barrrrstards should of been raising months ago , now we wait till November and hope that in that time they don't find enough pathetic excuses before then to keep them on hold AGAIN .

my concern is that if the 'reason' offered by the 'little birdy' was valid, then there may be no 'opportunity' to raise rates before the new year.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Give this whatever credence you like, but a F-O-A-F who works 'in the department' says the interest rate rise is 'certain' for this month. He even explained why:-

The know another rise is needed. The latest data proves it. HOWEVER, they can't wait till NEXT month, because it's too close to Xmas.

If they don't do it THIS month, they will have to wait till the new year.

5% here we come.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Quite.

The issue of IRs is debated and VOTED ON at the monthly meeting.

How would they pre-determine it? At another meeting? What would be the reason for that? :blink:

I have it on good authority that that meeting is fixed as well. The whole thing is stitched up at a pre-pre-meeting. :P

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Nuff Said, its a fiddle

Each member of the MPC has expertise in the field of economics and monetary policy. Members do not represent individual groups or areas. They are independent. Each member of the Committee has a vote to set interest rates at the level they believe is consistent with meeting the inflation target. The MPC's decision is made on the basis of one-person, one vote. It is not based on a consensus of opinion. It reflects the votes of each individual member of the Committee.

A representative from the Treasury also sits with the Committee at its meetings. The Treasury representative can discuss policy issues but is not allowed to vote. The purpose is to ensure that the MPC is fully briefed on fiscal policy developments and other aspects of the Government's economic policies, and that the Chancellor is kept fully informed about monetary policy.