House Price Crash Forum

Should You Be Fair When Putting In An Offer ?

thefruits

HOLA441

OK.. its a rhetorical question but hey ho.. thought I'd bring it up...

Looking at 2 houses... one at £385k... and one at £400k...

One needs about £100k of work but has plenty of scope for extension / improvement ... the second is fine but has no room for expansion (its owned by a builder and looks great)

I've spoken to the estate agent about the one which needs doing up... she's had offers but all from open chains... I'm a cash buyer (currently renting)... I mentioned £330k max.. she said that she thinks it would be worth putting it forward.. it would get rejected but she thinks that given a few days of thinking about it she would accept it... tempted to offer £300k now !

Second... guy is a builder... wants to free up money for his next project... again I'm in a strong position.. has 3 offers on the table but all from people with chains.. therefore worthless

Thinking of bidding £360k...

Thing is... when I talk to people at work.. they say.. well its not fair to offer so little... Hey before I get any criticism... I do not see why we should pay such inflated prices anyway.. but these houses are pretty sound and offer somewhere to live for at least the next 5-10 years...

So is being unfair ok ? And if they reduce the price in the next week... can I reduce my offer by the same amount ?

HOLA442
HOLA443

One needs about £100k of work but has plenty of scope for extension / improvement ... the second is fine but has no room for expansion (its owned by a builder and looks great)

I've spoken to the estate agent about the one which needs doing up... she's had offers but all from open chains... I'm a cash buyer (currently renting)... I mentioned £330k max.. she said that she thinks it would be worth putting it forward.. it would get rejected but she thinks that given a few days of thinking about it she would accept it... tempted to offer £300k now !

Second... guy is a builder... wants to free up money for his next project... again I'm in a strong position.. has 3 offers on the table but all from people with chains.. therefore worthless

Thing is... when I talk to people at work.. they say.. well its not fair to offer so little... Hey before I get any criticism... I do not see why we should pay such inflated prices anyway.. but these houses are pretty sound and offer somewhere to live for at least the next 5-10 years...

So is being unfair ok ? And if they reduce the price in the next week... can I reduce my offer by the same amount ?

FFS is asking these grossly inflated prices in the first place in any sense fair ?! Asking people to pay 3/4/5/6 times what it actually cost to build in the first place. Three times more than they themselves paid for it in the first place ! Do you think the vendors give two F***s whether they are being fair or not ?!! No all they care about is getting the maximum amount of cash possible for their pile of bricks. Offer the least you can to get the property would be my advice. Better still hold out for another 12 months and you might be able to get another 10-20% off. As they say 'all is fair in love and buying property'

HOLA444

If your determined to buy then bid low and stay low.

Stick to what you think it is really worth and no more, the markets moving your way.

Best of luck.

HOLA445

FFS is asking these grossly inflated prices in the first place in any sense fair ?! Asking people to pay 3/4/5/6 times what it actually cost to build in the first place. Three times more than they themselves paid for it in the first place ! Do you think the vendors give two F***s whether they are being fair or not ?!! No all they care about is getting the maximum amount of cash possible for their pile of bricks. Offer the least you can to get the property would be my advice. Better still hold out for another 12 months and you might be able to get another 10-20% off. As they say 'all is fair in love and buying property'

If you're going to blame anyone, blame the agent. We've had 5 valutions on our property ranging from £175,000 to £235,000. How am I supposed to decide which one to go for?

In answer to the original question, offer what it is worth to you. The wonderful thing about value is it is in the eye of the beholder (just like beauty).

HOLA446
HOLA447

If you're going to blame anyone, blame the agent. We've had 5 valutions on our property ranging from £175,000 to £235,000. How am I supposed to decide which one to go for?

We had local agents round and against my better judgement (because for a change they wrote direct to missus, not me to ask to be able to do an 'appraisal', we had the one with the MINIs round as well. We've effectively redone the entire house and gardens so time to see whether it's worth selling - i.e. can we get back what I think is 'acceptable' and then find an appropriate next 'project' to do.

The range of prices was

3 agents within £10K of each other (and exactly where I said it would be)

and the other one £285,000 (yes, you did read that right) more than the next highest.

You tell me which one was having a laugh to try to get the instruction and then knock the price back.

HOLA448

There really is no such thing as being unfair in this game. The vendor will squeeze every last penny from you given the chance. He has a set bottom limit and a limitless top limit. You should have a set top limit and a limitless bottom limit. My buyers pleaded poverty while they were trying to buy our place. They somehow found another £10,000 when someone else became interested. I think the best way is for both parties to come away from the deal happy but if only one person comes away happy, make sure it's you. :P

HOLA449
HOLA4410

3 agents within £10K of each other (and exactly where I said it would be)

and the other one £285,000 (yes, you did read that right) more than the next highest.

You tell me which one was having a laugh to try to get the instruction and then knock the price back.

Was it the one with "the MINIS" that quoted 285K more? :rolleyes:

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Any property is only worth what a buyer will pay. Being a cash buyer will give you a big advantage, least not because you can exchange and complete a lot quicker. The builder that carried out the renovations will be keen to start the next project. With this in mind, offer him less than you were going to (£20k or so) and take it from there. If it was 2 potential buyers, both needing mortgages, he'd go for the highest bidder. But he'd no doubt except less from a cash buyer, particularly if he already has his eye on another development.

HOLA4414

There is nothing unfair in making a lower offer..ether they take it or leave it...but what I can't stand is people trying something on after offers are excepted...

I would like to know how much under asking price is realistic for an offer....but I mean really realistic

Edited by Monopoly

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

What on earth are you talking about?

Help me out folks: is that stuff above written in code or is it just a foreign language??

This has got to be a troll, though I am struggling to see the angle.