House Price Crash Forum

Stop This Crazy Roundabout, I Want To Get Off!

I've decided I've had enough of this place. Coming here seems to do me more harm than good. Quite what is going to happen to the housing market, I don't know, and I'm fed up of arguing about it with folk. I can't afford to buy a home, full stop. It's not a case of me holding-out for a crash rather than buying now – I simply don't have the choice of buying now, no matter how much I want to, and all that happens when the bear-bating starts is that my feelings of desperation and helplessness are exacerbated, so, I'm off. Maybe the market will crash and my ordinary wage will afford me an ordinary home at an ordinary price. Maybe it won't, and I have to hope that the company I'm currently setting up will make me enough to buy an ordinary home at an extraordinary price. Who knows? The bottom line is that until I can look on Right Move and see a house at a price that I can afford, I'm frozen-out. Coming here to talk about it won't change that and lacks the camaraderie that one would expect of a place set up as a meeting place for folk with a common interest. I really hoped there'd be some plans for protest, direct action, etc., but it's just turned out to be a load of caged bears going round in circles while the bulls poke them through the bars with long sticks. Every time I come to this place I leave feeling more depressed than when I arrived, which isn't healthy.

Bye folks.

I've decided I've had enough of this place. Coming here seems to do me more harm than good. Quite what is going to happen to the housing market, I don't know, and I'm fed up of arguing about it with folk. I can't afford to buy a home, full stop. It's not a case of me holding-out for a crash rather than buying now – I simply don't have the choice of buying now, no matter how much I want to, and all that happens when the bear-bating starts is that my feelings of desperation and helplessness are exacerbated, so, I'm off. Maybe the market will crash and my ordinary wage will afford me an ordinary home at an ordinary price. Maybe it won't, and I have to hope that the company I'm currently setting up will make me enough to buy an ordinary home at an extraordinary price. Who knows? The bottom line is that until I can look on Right Move and see a house at a price that I can afford, I'm frozen-out. Coming here to talk about it won't change that and lacks the camaraderie that one would expect of a place set up as a meeting place for folk with a common interest. I really hoped there'd be some plans for protest, direct action, etc., but it's just turned out to be a load of caged bears going round in circles while the bulls poke them through the bars with long sticks. Every time I come to this place I leave feeling more depressed than when I arrived, which isn't healthy.

Bye folks.

Best of luck with the business. I reckon I'll be off soon too but for the opposite reason. I'm fed up with being accused of being a Troll/Bull

Your priced out. Luck you. no one can force you to buy, you are not tempted to buy. Your only option is to wait until all this debt madness subsides.

I would rather be in your position than mine. i.e. having just enough income and deposit to afford a dire hovel and being told all the time I should buy one (by people who bought a long time ago in a good area of town and have never even been to the areas I can only just afford).

Bye folks.

I feel guilty now. Don't know if I am one of those who you see prodding the bears in the cages - if I was - I would like to apologize. My only motive has been to hope that a bit of prodding might spur, to use your words "some plans for protest, direct action" etc.

I wish I could go (yeah, yeah ... so do you) but, for reasons I really can't explain, I find this site is a magnet.

Anyway good luck with your business.

Why don't you try the Priced Out site - it sets out to be pro-active and campaigning which, for some odd reason, this site never has.

Bugger it, I'm going to go over there and try to lend a hand. 'Campaigning' to get the half-dozen 'know-it-all' bears on here motivated to do something constructive is a waste of time.

Just ignore the labels, and carry on making your points, which you do in a clear way.

What is the point of just making the same points (no matter how well) over and over again to the same audience of two dozen people?

I've decided I've had enough of this place. Coming here seems to do me more harm than good. Quite what is going to happen to the housing market, I don't know, and I'm fed up of arguing about it with folk.

I have to say Im starting to agree. Debate here is getting very circular, and getting boring.

When I started coming here it was interesting, with lively discussions, and I think I've picked up quite a bit about economics which is always useful. Until last August's insane rate cut, this place was a lot mote fun, as the HPC arguement appeared to be gaining the upper hand, and there's no doubt that issues get discussed here way in advance of being picked up in the financial pages of the "serious" press. Recently though the site seems to be like a stuck record

There's no doubt the housing market is a spectulative bubble, where fundamentals went out of the window a couple of years ago. Until the bubble pops there's nothing to be done, but with so much easy money sloshing around, who knows how long it may take. One defining characterisic of a bubble is it will stay bubble-licious for far longer that expected, and who knows, it could outlive my current solvency, though on a positive note,I do think it's starting to look like things may be turning a corner.

Now it seems that all there is to do is wait for things to play out, but Im not sure that spending the ensuing time having the same old arguements with baiting bulls, or neg-head bears is either engaging or rewarding

Every time I come to this place I leave feeling more depressed than when I arrived, which isn't healthy.

Funny - I was just saying that last night

Bye folks.

See you in a few days :rolleyes:

Do what i do , limit your time on here .

Bye folks.

Bye BB. Good luck with setting up your company - it sounds like a much better investment of your time and energy than going round in circles on this site.

Bingley, I am off to & good luck to you in whatever you do.

I am leaving the uk to get on with my life ( but I do still love the uk) but no way will I be indoctrinated to believe this artificial way of living, that benefits everyone except the hard working, everyone wants to make from you, and you always need to have your wits about you to survive.

Life is short... make the most of any opportunities that come your way... love and luck to you all.

Winkie. ;)

SOME PEOPLE JUST HAVE NO STAYING POWER!!!!

this is just getting interesting!!!

OK debate on here seems to have been going round in circles for some time,tha's actually good!!!!We've exhausted all the scenario's now and we are just waiting for the rest of the population to catch up!

nothing to worry about dude,shit happens!!...hold your nerve and enjoy the ride!

I've decided I've had enough of this place. .. Bye folks.

I've only just started reading/posting, and I've enjoyed your posts, BB - best of luck with your endeavours in the future - and I hope you (and everyone else, and me) manages to find a -home- one day.

Dave

I've been here since Dec 2004, which seems like a long while ago. The same arguments/counter-arguments come up and it's a natural thing to step away when it gets boring.

Still not much of a crash in sight around my way in actual sale prices of FTB properties. It'll take a lot to get nominal falls of any significant magnitude.

Does that mean I'm giving up ? Not really.

I'd rather rent and invest my spare cash elsewhere than tie everything up in a house.

In the meantime I'm off to New Zealand for a month to get a taste of life down under.

Perhaps I shouldn't bother coming back! :rolleyes::D

Edited by Warwickshire Lad

Unfortunately the housing price cycle plays out over a period of years and watching the data on a daily basis is enough to drive you nuts.

I log in for just a few minutes each day to see if there are any major revelations, unfortunately usually not.

The cycle is starting to go our way, IRs are creeping up and around here (Somerset Wilts border) prices appear static or possibly slightly falling, for some property types, a subjective judgement I'm afarid based on the appearance of some more acceptable properties within my price range when I search rightmove.

Its best not to get too obsesive about it. There is more to life than being in an impossible level of debt due to a pile of bricks.

Bye folks.

The very best of luck to you BB, you will be missed around here.

Guest xeouialp

Bye folks.

Drama queen

I'll also miss your contributions, but it's understandable why you're departing. I still find the forum worthwhile for the occasional gem, like RichM's recent 'Silence of the Sheeple'.

I think too much baiting is allowed to go on here by bulls who seem to have a desire to stamp out every last bit of bearishness, wherever it may lurk, forgetting that the raison d'être of this site is to serve as "a counterbalance to the huge amounts of positive spin the housing market receives in the main media".

Bye folks.

I don't know why people are like boo hoo I had enough of this place I'm leaving blah blah blah - where are the violins?

You know as well as I know that you WILL be back here along with all the other leavers. You may register as someone else or will become a guest statistic but you WILL come back here.

If you can't keep an impartial opinion without getting emotionally attached to a financially based website (an oxymoron as financial affairs should be emotionless - then be off with you.. now go and sulk in your stinking pit of despair... till next time you are here.

I don't know why people are like boo hoo I had enough of this place I'm leaving blah blah blah - where are the violins?

You know as well as I know that you WILL be back here along with all the other leavers. You may register as someone else or will become a guest statistic but you WILL come back here.

If you can't keep an impartial opinion without getting emotionally attached to a financially based website (an oxymoron as financial affairs should be emotionless - then be off with you.. now go and sulk in your stinking pit of despair... till next time you are here.

What fun is there in just leaving quietly?

Just in case you do think owning a shitty 2 bed property then get this

I've owned one since about 98, i refuse to move on because i genuinly feel property is overvalued and have sympathy for those who can't get on the ladder but be careful for what you wish for

I've just been hit by a 5k frvkin bill of a property management company

5 frickin K

and on top of that they want to add there ass bustin consultancy fees

all this for a flat i bought for 40k any way in the shitiest part of salford in the crack end of the UK

trust me i feel lucky because i got my property 5 years ago, for those who have just got one, fck me do i feel sorry

btw bb you've always been a decent poster, stick around!

Edited by slurms mackenzie

I know what Bingley Bloke means. People on here, I feel, are a little removed from the man or woman in the street. That's because this is basically a forum about economics, personal finances, and housing policy, which probably doesn't occupy the thoughts of many. Plus, by the very fact it's an internet forum, it attracts people who can afford an internet connection or have the kind of well-paid sinecures where you can surf the net half the day. Retail workers, receptionists, postmen, women, nurses, call centre operatives, etc. have real work to do.

In the real world, this is basically the reality: In 1999 an 11k retailer worker could buy a one bed flat in this area by themselves. They would now need an income in excess of 30k to do the same. In 1999 Fred the 14k storeman and Betty the 12k lingerie supervisor at M&S could easily buy a three bed terraced house.

In the real world a vast section of the population is massively priced out younger people can't remember anything but extreme HPI and have grown utterly fatalistic to the point that even 25% shared ownership on a shoebox in the mobilephone mast district sounds great.

Guest pioneer31

Bye folks.

Im inclined to join you. I too feel that this forum is a waste of time, nowadays.

bulls> you are never going to convince the bears

bears> you are never going to convince the bulls.

It's the same thing day in, day out. What does my nut is that the same points get debated over and over again. It may as well be a forum full of Altzheimer sufferers.

"So just tell me again (147th time) why prices won't continue to rise?"

:o