House Price Crash Forum

Interest Rates On Thursday...

The next move in rates is more than likely to be down. The picture has changed a lot over the past 6 months. It is difficult to find even one bond trader, economist, fund manager that thinks rates will rise soon .............. and I am not talking about the ones that keep shouting the odds in the media, I am talking about the ones actually making the money in the city

The next move in rates is more than likely to be down. The picture has changed a lot over the past 6 months. It is difficult to find even one bond trader, economist, fund manager that thinks rates will rise soon .............. and I am not talking about the ones that keep shouting the odds in the media, I am talking about the ones actually making the money in the city

That's funny, because interest rate futures are pricing in a 25bps rise in March and a hold for the rest of 2005. Think you know more than the money markets SSS?Think again.

Although rates will probably remain where they are for some months, I think people are going to be surprised how much they will eventually rise. History has shown that interest rates have never peaked when people thought they had.

The only way we are going to see any substantial rate cuts is if the economy falls into a hole and this would therefore mean that house prices will crash anyway.

QUOTE - Although rates will probably remain where they are for some months, I think people are going to be surprised how much they will eventually rise. History has shown that interest rates have never peaked when people thought they had.

----------------------------------

If rates rise substantially, Tonies Kronies wont get us shoe - horned into the EU, so I just cant see rates rising. I realise BOE is independant but they wont want to rock Tonies big boat.

Guest Charlie The Tramp
Gtr London FTB,Dec 8 2004, 01:36 PM]

Although rates will probably remain where they are for some months, I think people are going to be surprised how much they will eventually rise.  History has shown that interest rates have never peaked when people thought they had.

How true, over the past 40 years I have heard it often. They have peaked at 11% and went to 15%, then they said they have peaked at 15%, and went to 17% only temporary though. :D

The only way we are going to see any substantial rate cuts is if the economy falls into a hole and this would therefore mean that house prices will crash anyway.

There again we`ve had high rates in past recessions. Nothing is guaranteed these days. Still have this nasty feeling rates at 5.75% end 2005, and a possible .25% rise in February. You become quite pessimistic as you get older and wiser. <_<

Looking at the bookies, there is nobody willing to place odds on it other than betfair.

latest betfair odds

- 0.50 % 1000.1 (these are decimal odds by the way)

- 0.25 % 250.1

no change

no money available to back . You can LAY no change at 1.03.1 (about 33/1 back that there WILL be a change of any sort)

+ 0.25 % 75.1 (possible punt for any uber bears ?)

+ 0.50 % 1000.1

don't know what's worse, being unable to read, or getting such a no-brainer prediction wrong

Or maybe what's worse is taking an anonymous poll on an internet bulletin board way too seriously? Who gives a sh*t, so a couple of people (12 out of 78) voted for what they would like to see happen rather than what did happen. No need to be so @nal about it.

Or maybe what's worse is taking an anonymous poll on an internet bulletin board way too seriously? Who gives a sh*t, so a couple of people (12 out of 78) voted for what they would like to see happen rather than what did happen. No need to be so @nal about it.

Guess you were one of the 12 then being as you're that touchy about it!!!

ta ta

H

BTW... 92% got it right on SP!!!

should I point out that 12 out of 78 is hardly a couple, or would that be too @nal also

hmmm seems you have a bit of an @nal fixation, all those posts of toilets for instance....

I made one post with a toilet in it, sh*thead. If anyone's got a fixation with toilet humour it's bottom feeder and his endless crap jokes on the "overpriced shithole" thread. SO WHAT IT IS ONLY PEOPLE ON AN INTERNET BULLETIN BOARD NOT THE INNER SANCTUM OF THE MPC.