House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
drhewitt

Lincolnshire - Is It Worth It?

I have no connections to this part of the country whatsoever, but my sister who lives in London says that Lincolnshire is "dirt cheap."

I took a look at Rightmove and didn't really like the county much, places like Grimsby and Hull look run down.

I don't want to be one sided, but can anyone tell me what the county/city is like, crime etc. Is it worth living there because it's cheap? What's the employment situation like there?

Thanks

Edited by drhewitt

I don't want to be one sided, but can anyone tell me what the county/city is like, crime etc. Is it worth living there because it's cheap? What's the employment situation like there?

Thanks

I worked in Lincs for a while and still visit quite regularly. Here is my impression:

It seems to be quite polarised in some ways.

There are some really nice parts with almost zero crime, quaint little middle-class villages full of character (and one or two VERY wealthy farming villages)

Lincoln city has some very sought after areas, such as Uphill and cathedral. Some of the surrounding villages/suburbs are also quite smart. It is a lovely city, full of history! Employment - not sure. Probably depends on what your profession is. Teachers, doctors, nurses, etc usually in demand (well they were 3 years ago!). Example of a nice village is Welton, about 10 mins north of Lincoln has a nice atmosphere and very good schools, very little crime, but some boring architecture.

There are also places to AVOID. Small villages forgotten about for decades, now neglected and full of very strange people, larger towns with high unemployment crime and antisocial behaviour. Gainsborough, which ironically has a brilliant grammar school, is one of the worst.

E.g.s of places for sale:

House in affluent village

Aaaarrgh!

Either way, you do get more for your money than in the South East.

I worked in Lincs for a while and still visit quite regularly. Here is my impression:

It seems to be quite polarised in some ways.

There are some really nice parts with almost zero crime, quaint little middle-class villages full of character (and one or two VERY wealthy farming villages)

Lincoln city has some very sought after areas, such as Uphill and cathedral. Some of the surrounding villages/suburbs are also quite smart. It is a lovely city, full of history! Employment - not sure. Probably depends on what your profession is. Teachers, doctors, nurses, etc usually in demand (well they were 3 years ago!). Example of a nice village is Welton, about 10 mins north of Lincoln has a nice atmosphere and very good schools, very little crime, but some boring architecture.

There are also places to AVOID. Small villages forgotten about for decades, now neglected and full of very strange people, larger towns with high unemployment crime and antisocial behaviour. Gainsborough, which ironically has a brilliant grammar school, is one of the worst.

E.g.s of places for sale:

House in affluent village

Aaaarrgh!

Either way, you do get more for your money than in the South East.

hi all we are looking at armthorpe/edethorpe near doncaster to buy

just want a roof over our heads and nice schools

does anyone know anything about these areas please

many thanks xx