House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
detached

Titanic Mill - Huddersfield

http://www.lowryrenaissance.com/titanic.html

If ever a name could be more apt !!!

Like its glorious maritime namesake, this surely is destined to sink fast and deep .....

Just how many 'aspiring, fast-living young professionals' are there in Huddersfield with £250K to spend on a 2-bedroom luxury apartment? Oh, I forgot - this bargain comes with prime views over the Huddersfield end of the Colne Valley ..... says it all really.

A brief look at www.houseprices.co.uk (post code H7) shows no recorded sales as yet !!! Surely, this got to be a BTL dream investment.

Just how many 'aspiring, fast-living young professionals' are there in Huddersfield with £250K to spend on a 2-bedroom luxury apartment? Oh, I forgot - this bargain comes with prime views over the Huddersfield end of the Colne Valley ..... says it all really.

Substitute 'Huddersfield' for 'Bradford' and you've got my exact thoughts from a year or two ago!

Ah come on guys this is Yorkshire's Hollywood - you not read the 'out & about' tab on the website - put me down for ten - I'll be a property millionaire this time next year - you'll be sorry!

The £250k price tag is so the 'professional landlords' think they're getting a bargain for £190k :lol:

Edited by I'M WITH STUPID

Like its glorious maritime namesake, this surely is destined to sink fast and deep .....

A brief look at www.houseprices.co.uk (post code H7) shows no recorded sales as yet !!! Surely, this got to be a BTL dream investment.

OMG! in late 70s, my dad ran a business on one of the floors in Titanic Mills . I used to work there in summer holidays. As a teenager [with an unusual interest in interior design :rolleyes: ] I used to think it would make a cool place to live in [New York loft style].

Looks like they've turned it into crap BTL'sville

Its a grotty dark satanic mill, in a grotty part of Linthwaite, a pretty minging area, fine if you're into Fred Dibner chic :D #

I doubt there are any "aspiring, fast-living young professionals" in the area, if so, I'm sure they will be heading in the opposite direction, same as I did when old enough to leave!

I doubt there are any "aspiring, fast-living young professionals" in the area, if so, I'm sure they will be heading in the opposite direction, same as I did when old enough to leave!

Its a bit of a trek to the Sair, and theres no other reason to live in that part of town. Its completely the wrong side of Huddersfield for motorway connections so I can't imagine many people using it as a base to drive to Leeds. How long before a landlord rents out to DHSS?

If I'm in the North in the next couple of weeks I'll drop by and pretend to be an investor just to hear the sales pitch!

Edited by a j

When you're there, take a deep breath and enjoy the fresh fragrance of PVC being injected in the nearby double-glazed window factory. Look forward to reading your report on your 'prospective buyer' visit .....

http://www.houseprices.co.uk/e.php?q=hd7+5un&n=10

Only 14 flats sold so far (since November 2005) with latest sale (flat 363) showing a £30K loss on original sale price 10 months earlier !!

According to the developer, there are 47 flats still available

http://www.lowryhomes.com/titanicmill/index.asp

Is this a large iceberg straight ahead Captain? :lol:

Check out the flat prices in huddersfield!

http://www.home.co.uk/guides/house_prices_...&lastyear=1

Titanic indeed!!

Setting aside price and location, it appears to be quite a decent conversion, with some interesting energy saving features, and reasonable sized/layout of apartments and a good mix on the ground floor. Ive seen alot worse.

I thought that, and if retiring would be almost tempted, but not at prices anywhere near £250k.

Come to think of it, what else could they do with these old mills? I suppose manufacturing is out of the question :lol:

Check out the flat prices in huddersfield!

http://www.home.co.uk/guides/house_prices_...&lastyear=1

Titanic indeed!!

Whao .... that is a steep plunge. Quite ironic that the colour of the line for flat prices should be ocean blue .....

I drove past the place last week, and the surrounding area is just crap. I'd love to know how much business the exclusive spa located on the ground floor gets ......

There are several 1 bedder offered for rent on Rightmove at £495 pcm.

Assuming they can be let out at that price (what about the no doubt extortionate service charges?), the minimum 7% gross yield that would be required to make any economic sense to an 'investor' would give a 'value' of £85,000.

Cheapest for sale are being offered at £120K ...... a long way to go yet

Whao .... that is a steep plunge. Quite ironic that the colour of the line for flat prices should be ocean blue .....

I drove past the place last week, and the surrounding area is just crap. I'd love to know how much business the exclusive spa located on the ground floor gets ......

Assuming they can be let out at that price (what about the no doubt extortionate service charges?), the minimum 7% gross yield that would be required to make any economic sense to an 'investor' would give a 'value' of £85,000.

Its worth a trip for a nose around - I went Autumn. The building is impressive but the area is run down and the location is too far out for anyone with enough money to have other options. I dont remember the annual fee for the Spa/ Gym but remember that it was as much or more than a central London subscription. Not sure I fancy their chances!

Those prices were based on a massive sample of.... SEVEN flats. It's probably true, but you can't read anything in to those statistics. Does anyone really think detached houses in Huddersfield have increased almost 47% in a year? No, it's a humongous sample of TWO!

I'll stick with my nose, thanks.

Very true. The flats looked fantastic when new but the area is hardly first choice. £70k sounds about right to me for a decent flat in a borderline neighbourhood too far from the beaten path for professional tenants.