House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bobbins

Cpi Data Out Out Tomorrow....

Oil, utilities, food and tuition fees must kick in by now. Or did the make a change over the last month to exclude these from the calculations.

I'll take a stab at 2.7%, up from 2.4%

Question...

Why is it when the price of oil goes through the roof it takes months to filter through to CPI...?

and....

When the price of oil drops it only takes nanoseconds?

Maybe I should believe in Gordon's miracle more, but my proof will come when the figures are published...

:o

Edit: Oops! Forgot to put my prediction in - too busy having a moan LOL!

In light of above, I reckon we'll see a slight drop "because of oil" to 2.3% but I really want to be wrong....

Edited by Badlad1967

Brown is in a corner

I think we'll see the ONS have "managed" CPI down to 2.2%/2.3%

Basket items that will no doubt be putting downward pressure:

Cheap Airlines - even though their prices go up, they are always down in CPI

Petrol - even though recent price falls shouldnt be included in these figures, they'll find a way

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...yI&refer=uk

U.K. Inflation May Have Topped BOE Target for a Fourth Month
By Craig Stirling and Brian Swint
Sept. 11 (Bloomberg) -- U.K. inflation probably exceeded the Bank of England's 2 percent target for a fourth month in August, keeping pressure on policy makers to raise interest rates, a survey of economists shows...../
Rising Wages
Wages including bonuses probably grew at the fastest pace in 15 months in the three months through July from a year earlier, rising 4.6 percent, according to another survey. Those data and unemployment figures are due on Sept. 13.

Gordon must make the tough choices just as Ben has. Its inflation or recession. The former, if unchecked, will be far worse. He MUST hike IR, deflate the housing bubble and lose his bid for number 10.

With real inflation still rising I reckon it'll show slight increase or remain static

The CPI doesn't reflect REAL inflation - only the BOE's next rate decision (ie another IR increment in November)

Edited by dnd

Oil, utilities, food and tuition fees must kick in by now. Or did the make a change over the last month to exclude these from the calculations.

I'll take a stab at 2.7%, up from 2.4%

in which month does this "tuition fee factor", which ive heard is .25% on CPI in one go, feed in. Is it tommorrow?

I thought I had read loads of stories about food prices rising

2.6%

Food doesn't count.

DFS are still having a sale, and iPods are cheaper at Argos, so CPI down to 2.1%

Its all a farce.

You're right though, massive sales - and lets face it, there have been a LOT of sales on recently, will probably reduce the price of "the basket".

However, they need to show that the CPI is in some way reflective of inflation, and maybe it will nudge back up to 2.5%.

I dont know about you, but I'm feeling poorer by the day. Still, fortunately our pay deal for January 2007 is based on RPI in September 06. Which, they reckoned would be around 2.3% !! :lol: Last month RPI was 3.3%!!

I feel sorry for the public sector workers who will be getting 2%. What a joke.