House Price Crash Forum
gruffydd

Scotland Heading For Independence

And I see that there's some story about Scottish separatists and plans to poison English water supplies - ain't the timing odd - I see the intelligence services are up to their old tricks.

By the way, did anyone see the MOD news about how recruitment to the army is strongly up in Wales, Manchester, etc. - BBC News even carried this as a headline. What they failed to tell us is that throughput is also up. Spin Spin Spin.

Edited by gruffydd

Too late - North Sea oil has peaked and the locals have already been priced out in most places :(

If things carry on deteriorating as they are, I would suggest re-establishing historical ties to Norway or Denmark (Norway still has a fair share of oil and a top standard of living). Property is expensive in Oslo and Bergen but not the rest of the country.

Edited by Caledonian-Emigre

Guest tenant super

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFriendly...04-3044,00.html

Wonder what impact this will have on house prices?

This will have a uplifting effect across the board. Scotland will surely benefit as it develops it's own economic culture and self confidence. England will benefit as taxes can be reduced, and Wales and Northern Ireland will benefit from the redistribution of non-native public services out of Scotland.

:)

I live in te Highlands and believe me if we do get independance I think the "Hae Jimmies" from the central belt will probably ruin it with their hair-brained schemes.

This in a country which invented most of the useful stuff, god we elect some real beezers into power.

I doubt they'll go for it in the end. If they do then it will be after the Union has benefited from all the oil there. If the Scots had gone independant in the seventies the'y have been, per capita, one of the richest nations. However Scotland could still be a vital supply of water for England and so it would pay to stay on good terms.

I also doubt that they (or at least some of them) are wanting to be independent because of hatred of us but just because they have a different outlook and different aspirations.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFriendly...04-3044,00.html

Wonder what impact this will have on house prices?

Does this mean Scotland will be financially independant or are they aiming for only partial independance?

I live in te Highlands and believe me if we do get independance I think the "Hae Jimmies" from the central belt will probably ruin it with their hair-brained schemes.

This in a country which invented most of the useful stuff, god we elect some real beezers into power.

You must mean the kilt, haggis and bagpipes.

This will have a uplifting effect across the board. Scotland will surely benefit as it develops it's own economic culture and self confidence. England will benefit as taxes can be reduced, and Wales and Northern Ireland will benefit from the redistribution of non-native public services out of Scotland.

:)

Reduce taxes? Scotland will never be independant!

Edited by cockrobin

Guest tenant super

Reduce taxes? Scotland will never be independant!

Yes reduce taxes in England. Scotlands public sector is massively subsidised by England even after accounting for revenues from natural resources. It seems that taxes might have to go up in the near term but less so in England if we are released from the financial spending commitments north of the border through the barnett formula.

And Scotland appears to be heading for a referendum, the SNP are keen to instigate this and there is a strong case for the Scots to make a success of it. If you weren't aware already, constitutionally the UK is a basket case, and it would seem to me that the most forward looking resolution is to forge a new union of independent but nonetheless permanently allied nations.

Yes reduce taxes in England. Scotlands public sector is massively subsidised by England even after accounting for revenues from natural resources.

I have never been convinced by this statement that is wheeled out every time Scotland and independence are mentioned. So ALL the revenue from the Oil and gas resources is spent as extra money for Scots? That can't be true surely?

Yes reduce taxes in England. Scotlands public sector is massively subsidised by England even after accounting for revenues from natural resources. It seems that taxes might have to go up in the near term but less so in England if we are released from the financial spending commitments north of the border through the barnett formula.

And Scotland appears to be heading for a referendum, the SNP are keen to instigate this and there is a strong case for the Scots to make a success of it. If you weren't aware already, constitutionally the UK is a basket case, and it would seem to me that the most forward looking resolution is to forge a new union of independent but nonetheless permanently allied nations.

I am fully aware that England subsidises Scotlands public sector. Its not in their interest to be independent.

Edited by cockrobin

I say good riddance to 'em !!

They can have Gordon Brown back as well.

Yup. headlines in one of the papers today as I had a quick free read about GB putting a 10% tax on eating out.

I am fully aware that England subsidises Scotlands public sector. Its not in their interest to be independent.

When money (oil) is obtained from Scotland it is Britain's.

When money (government spending) is spent in Scotland it is England's.

No wonder the Jocks get fed up with us.

Maybe we should back the Scots' independence claims if it is so good for England? But few people in England do back Scotland going it alone. I wonder why.

;)

I'd love to see Scotland go independent: they'd have perpetual Labour governments and we'd never have one again.

They'd be begging for foreign aid from England within a decade.

I'd love to see Scotland go independent: they'd have perpetual Labour governments and we'd never have one again.

They'd be begging for foreign aid from England within a decade.

For the first time ever I disagree with you Mark. You're still forgetting about the oil. The subsea industry alone (not counting oil production) in the North east is expected to take in 6 billion next year and expand further and further in the following years.

And what about the additional 10% North sea oil tax that Gordon Brown levied at the start of the year. Did none of that go to england?

I cant argue with that, but I doubt it comes to more than the whole oil revenue tax from North Sea Oil. And dont forget that Thatcher really shafted the Scots when she was in power. I remember because I couldnt get a job for love nor money.

I'm at least a quarter Scottish by ancestry- possibly more if I could be bothered to trace the rest of my family (which I can't). I'm certainly all northern.

I say good luck to them, I wish they'd piss off now and leave the rest of us in peace, the whinging bastards. And Wales.

For the first time ever I disagree with you Mark. You're still forgetting about the oil. The subsea industry alone (not counting oil production) in the North east is expected to take in 6 billion next year and expand further and further in the following years.

And what about the additional 10% North sea oil tax that Gordon Brown levied at the start of the year. Did none of that go to england?

The Scottish econony is basically Soviet, over 60% of spending is from the public purse, total GDP is £63.7 billion excluding oil revenues, those stand at around £7 billion but lets be generous and double it, so how is £14b of revenue from the magic (declining) oil fields going to pay for £40b of state spending? The sums don't add up.

We've had bad government and misrule many times before but this would be epic in comparison, destruction of the union and generally ******ing up the constitution would be the ultimate testament to NuLabour, they would destroy the very mechamism that put them into power in the first place and they would never see office in England ever again. There would be a greater chance of the Tories ruling Holyrood than Labour controlling Westminster.

Apart from Scottish MP's forcing controversial legislation upon England and Wales, the only other notable institution that remains of the union is the British Army, but that seems to have already been sliced and diced into the Scottish regiment thanks to NuLabour cuts and expediency. What else is there? How much will a parking bay for a couple of Tridents' cost?

What a crappy state of a affairs, and one created by a government packed with Scots.

This devolution within Britain seems to be the worst of both world´s - it´s neither one thing nor the other.

I say go for full independence.

For a perspective on the real wealth of Scotland and the over-reliance on the public sector, see:

Scotland: The true wealth of the nation

Maybe we could all go back to what we are good at like engineering and technological innovation (like so many Scottish inventors of the past) and stop this fetish obsession with property and politically correct spin.

So many people on this site slag of the Scots for being New labour. That is not strictly true- a large part of the Celtic fringes are Lib Dem and come the next election you could well see a rise in support for the SNP.

This devolution within Britain seems to be the worst of both world´s - it´s neither one thing nor the other.

I say go for full independence.

For a perspective on the real wealth of Scotland and the over-reliance on the public sector, see:

Scotland: The true wealth of the nation

"under devolution revenue growth has been just 15%, compared to 40% in Norway, 42% in Ireland and 57% in New Zealand – meaning Scotland could see a £9 billion revenue growth over 4 years simply by matching Ireland's performance."

Err right, that's just like saying my income growth would reflect a £5 billion revenue growth over 2 years by simply matching Roman Abramovich's performance. Once time has passed and GDP gone/wasted/lost you cannot then double-account for said growth that never materialised (for whatever reason). If that's their number two point then I fear they may have included the accumulative wealth potential of the nations bag-pipes within the sums of point one.