UK hailed as the new Goldilocks economy

· Britain is neither too hot nor too cold, says OECD

· Rich nations club revises growth forecast up to 2.8%

Ashley Seager in Paris

Wednesday September 6, 2006

The Guardian

Chancellor Gordon Brown
The chancellor, Gordon Brown. Photograph: AP
The British economy should take over the mantle of a "Goldilocks" economy from the US, the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development said yesterday as it sharply revised up its growth forecast for Britain this year.
The OECD's chief economist, Jean-Philippe Coitus, said the Goldilocks situation - where a country combines strong economic growth with low inflation and is neither too hot nor too cold - had traditionally been applied to the US in the late 1990s. "But in fact, without any fanfare, the UK has achieved this. It is a Goldilocks economy. It is in fact surprising how stable the UK economy has been. It is doing very well."
......../
Mr Coitus seemed relaxed about the US housing market, which is showing signs of a rapid cooling.
He pointed to the experiences of Australia and Britain where housing markets had cooled rather than crashed in response to higher interest rates over the past couple of years.
"The US economy needs to slow down below its long-term trend rate of growth and a cooling housing market is part of that."

Growth with low inflation. "Had cooled?" We haven't started cooling yet! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Realistbear

http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,1865576,00.html

Ashley Seager in Paris

The Guardian

Chancellor Gordon Brown
The British economy should take over the mantle of a "Goldilocks" economy from the US, the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development said yesterday as it sharply revised up its growth forecast for Britain this year.
The OECD's chief economist, Jean-Philippe Coitus, said the Goldilocks situation - where a country combines strong economic growth with low inflation and is neither too hot nor too cold - had traditionally been applied to the US in the late 1990s. "But in fact, without any fanfare, the UK has achieved this. It is a Goldilocks economy. It is in fact surprising how stable the UK economy has been. It is doing very well."
......../
Mr Coitus seemed relaxed about the US housing market, which is showing signs of a rapid cooling.
He pointed to the experiences of Australia and Britain where housing markets had cooled rather than crashed in response to higher interest rates over the past couple of years.
"The US economy needs to slow down below its long-term trend rate of growth and a cooling housing market is part of that."

Growth with low inflation. "Had cooled?" We haven't started cooling yet! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I was wondering why an uber bear was posting a post that is, if anything bullish. Then I realised, he didn't understand the subject matter. Best stick to Adam and Eve, young earth boll*x theory, "inteligent creator" laughable so-called theory, etc.

Warmest regards,

NBNB :ph34r:

Ashley Seager in Paris

The Guardian

Chancellor Gordon Brown
......../

'Mr Coitus'

are you making these newsflashes up.

'Mr Coitus'

are you making these newsflashes up.

Sorry, couldn't resist it! The man is clearly a fool with his "Goldilock" analogy--if he is looking for an appropriate symbol of the sentiment on the street for Gordon's economy the 3 bears would be more appropriate.

"Just right.................................." :lol:

Rising unemployment, twin deficits, M4 out of control, raghing real inflation, private debt exceeding per capita US debt, bankruptcy industry booming, huge numbers of people priced out of buying a home, NHS in ruins. Just right? The man needs to have his name changed.

I was wondering why an uber bear was posting a post that is, if anything bullish. Then I realised, he didn't understand the subject matter. Best stick to Adam and Eve, young earth boll*x theory, "inteligent creator" laughable so-called theory, etc.

Warmest regards,

It was an exercise in Michael extraction. Too subtle for you I see. <_<

I presume when they have to break for a newsflash, they have an interruptus.

P.S. it would explain a lot if some of these were being made up.

No, just the substitution of the letter "i" for the "o" otherwise the article is intactus

It was an exercise in Michael extraction. Too subtle for you I see. <_<

No, just the substitution of the letter "i" for the "o" otherwise the article is intactus

Jez - I only have time to skim read. You clearly have too much time on your hands. I've only been posting on here because i'm off ill from work, and taking the Michael out of the deluded is a way of passing the time. You've posted a whopping 7,000+ posts on here I see. Just think, if you had used that time more productively, you could have saved up for a deposit. No wonder you a rerelying on a crash.

Warmest regards,

Wasn't Goldilocks a thief? Pretty much like Nu Labour government!

I don't know about Goldilocks being a thief, but I can tell you that pretty soon people are going to realise they aren't in Kansas anymore.

Jez - I only have time to skim read. You clearly have too much time on your hands. I've only been posting on here because i'm off ill from work, and taking the Michael out of the deluded is a way of passing the time. You've posted a whopping 7,000+ posts on here I see. Just think, if you had used that time more productively, you could have saved up for a deposit. No wonder you a rerelying on a crash.

Warmest regards,

By posting on HPC I am not buyiong a house and saving money that way. :)

Seriously though, its been a quiet few months waiting for the next venture to get underway. Having gone mostly to cash for awhile, investment actioity has slowed to a crawl. Its been an odd summer and one where the usual rule of go away in May and return in October has not panned out. So far. Its an unpredictable and dangerous market out there IMO.

By posting on HPC I am not buyiong a house and saving money that way. :)

Seriously though, its been a quiet few months waiting for the next venture to get underway. Having gone mostly to cash for awhile, investment actioity has slowed to a crawl. Its been an odd summer and one where the usual rule of go away in May and return in October has not panned out. So far. Its an unpredictable and dangerous market out there IMO.

Are you registered with Old Moores Almanac for seasonal signs of an HPC.

He's very good. Suggests winter may be cold this year.

Goldilocks economy? before I read the post I assumed that it was Goldilocks cos it was a pretty pack of lies that only a small child would believe... ah well.

He obviously hasn't seen the latest news on property from Aus and the US.

How do these people get into such influential positions?

They live in tall buildings made from Elephant tusks.

......../

Mr Coitus seemed relaxed about the US housing market, which is showing signs of a rapid cooling. He pointed to the experiences of Australia and Britain where housing markets had cooled rather than crashed in response to higher interest rates over the past couple of years. "The US economy needs to slow down below its long-term trend rate of growth and a cooling housing market is part of that."

[/indent]

this HAS to be a wind-up!!!!!

with a surname like coitus :D ,you would expect him to be shafting a few people(like the UK!!)

..good old latin!,we love it!!!

Guest Bart of Darkness
Jez - I only have time to skim read.

We'll bear that in mind when you post in future.