House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lina

Land On Great Exuma Bahamas

There are plots of land being sold on the islands of the bahamas. i am interested in one with sea views

the island is Great exuma.Is this a good investment. can anyone advise?

There are plots of land being sold on the islands of the bahamas. i am interested in one with sea views

Lina, Great Exuma was my first forray into foreign property! In the end after many months and a visit I didnt proceed. The original plot I wanted then more than quadrupled in value in 3 years! :huh:

Your a little late to invest now. Also the market is directly linked to the US market which is currently on a prescipise.

A few cautions;

1) The agents are pretty unreliable

2) Getting insurance can be impossible so the land is effectively worthless (a future buyer wont buy if he thinks he wont be able to insure his planned property)

3) Many tracts of land have remained cheap for decades. This is beacuse they have zero chance of ever getting proper roads or any utilities. It is these plots that have been marketed at the Scandinavian and UK market for the last 20 years.

4) I notice some plots on the market year after year.

5) When you sell agents typically want 10%!

6) Lawyers are very expensive and tend to 'dribble' information out. Before you know it massive bills start to accumulate.

7) The islanders are piss - poor despite the Four seasons hotel

8) If I thought it was worth a punt believe me I would be investing (as I say I put a lot into trying to buy on the island)

9) Tidal surges afflict much of the coast espescially in the South so no one with any sanity builds there unless the property is elevated 20ft+. ELEVATION IS A MUST IN THESE ISLANDS - a fact often overlooked by unwarry Brits.

10) This is not a paradise island. The Town is like a shanty town. There is no snorkelling. It is permanently windy. It is very scrubby and unattractive

11) Much more viable markets exist close to home. This makes everything so much easier.

If you are interested I subsequently invested in Berlin and Morocco. I have also been trying to buy land near Parnu in Estonia - but you have to pick the property very carefully (must be very very close to Parnu or Haademeste for example).

Other 'goers' IMO are Slovenia, Hungary, Montenegro.

Dogbox

thank you so much for your opinion. before i put this post on i tried to pm you for your advise but it said an error had occured and i could not get the pm through to you. i knew from other posts you

would give me a true unbiased opinion.

i have also purchased my 1st investment in morroco LJDF and am looking for a2nd. i only started to investigate property abroad 2 months ago so i am a complete novice.you advise however is greatly

appreciated.i will carry on with my road to discovery. would it be poss for you to let me know how to get in touch with you so i can extract some further knowledge from that brain of yours that is filled with words of wisdom. ;)

Dogbox

thank you so much for your opinion. before i put this post on i tried to pm you for your advise but it said an error had occured and i could not get the pm through to you. i knew from other posts you

would give me a true unbiased opinion.

i have also purchased my 1st investment in morroco LJDF and am looking for a2nd. i only started to investigate property abroad 2 months ago so i am a complete novice.you advise however is greatly

appreciated.i will carry on with my road to discovery. would it be poss for you to let me know how to get in touch with you so i can extract some further knowledge from that brain of yours that is filled with words of wisdom. ;)

Lina I just tried to PM you but also got error messages (the recipients box is full or disabled)!

Must be a fault on the system

Lina I just tried to PM you but also got error messages (the recipients box is full or disabled)!

Must be a fault on the system

Ho dogbox

would not normally put me email on but am on the brink of a very important decision would like your advice any chance you can email rshahteam@yahoo.co.uk