House Price Crash Forum
Marina

I Rest My Case

Protests don't work.

That's what you say.

Does this mean .... ?

Protests don't achieve what they set out to? ..... or ....

Protests don't raise the profile of an issue and start to change the way people think about it?

Well I would say the 'green' agenda is now at the top of the political agenda because of protest groups.

A few measly hundred people declare they are going to march on a power station and close it down! I have been away so I have only just read about it in an old paper (which is now binned (sorry recycled)). What did it say? 5000 police from all over the country were mobilized. In the rag I saw it in (possibly the Daily Mail) it was the front page story.

I would venture to suggest that a lot of people who have never heard of Drax power station now know it is the dirtiest coal-fired power station in the UK blah blah and it needs to be shut down for the good of all - apparently.

How many people know just what a devastating and bloody awful effect BTL is having on young people's lives.

How many people understand why the selfish actions of the BTL brigade mean they will probably never get to bounce their grandchildren on their knee.

How many people have even the faintest idea that rather than being a fantastic, clever, resourceful, risk-free way of providing for your future, BTL is a sure fire way of making sure that other people don't have a future.

Regardless of whether protests succeed in achieving their aims - there is a message to get across.

If a few hundred people marching on a power station threatening to close it down can get front page coverage - then so could a few hundred people declaring they are going to shut down Inside Track seminars.

I don't expect any replies. Argued this to death on here and I accept that you lot think that posting a thousand messages on here and waiting for the market to correct by itself will work. I just want to say, again, you are WRONG. You would achieve more with one march threatening to 'close down' the BTL puppet masters than you ever will wasting time on here.

And, of course, meanwhile BTL goes from strength to strength. Despite what you keep posting on here - the facts (number of BTL mortgages) give the lie to your assumptions.

Protests don't work.

That's what you say.

Does this mean .... ?

Protests don't raise the profile of an issue and start to change the way people think about it?

Well I would say the 'green' agenda is now at the top of the political agenda because of protest groups.

A few measly hundred people declare they are going to march on a power station and close it down! I have been away so I have only just read about it in an old paper (which is now binned (sorry recycled)). What did it say? 5000 police from all over the country were mobilized. In the rag I saw it in (possibly the Daily Mail) it was the front page story.

I would venture to suggest that a lot of people who have never heard of Drax power station now know it is the dirtiest coal-fired power station in the UK blah blah and it needs to be shut down for the good of all - apparently.

How many people know just what a devastating and bloody awful effect BTL is having on young people's lives.

How many people understand why the selfish actions of the BTL brigade mean they will probably never get to bounce their grandchildren on their knee.

How many people have even the faintest idea that rather than being a fantastic, clever, resourceful, risk-free way of providing for your future, BTL is a sure fire way of making sure that other people don't have a future.

Regardless of whether protests succeed in achieving their aims - there is a message to get across.

If a few hundred people marching on a power station threatening to close it down can get front page coverage - then so could a few hundred people declaring they are going to shut down Inside Track seminars.

I don't expect any replies. Argued this to death on here and I accept that you lot think that posting a thousand messages on here and waiting for the market to correct by itself will work. I just want to say, again, you are WRONG. You would achieve more with one march threatening to 'close down' the BTL puppet masters than you ever will wasting time on here.

And, of course, meanwhile BTL goes from strength to strength. Despite what you keep posting on here - the facts (number of BTL mortgages) give the lie to your assumptions.

Excellent post!

One problem. No one will stand up in public and admit they can't afford a house. Especially if they know/went to school with someone now in BTL.

Got to keep up appearances you know.

...and past performance is always an indicator of future performance :lol:

Thankfully we like in a democracy - when the next election comes round we'll kick this 'smoke and mirrors' Government out...

I don't know exact numbers, but I would suggest it's a tiny number in comparison to those already wallowing in the comforting OO illusion of ever-rising prices.

It's not at all like power stations, because *everyone* already agrees (bar a few right wing Clarkson fossil fuel burning zealots, possibly) that pollution is a Bad Thing.

...and past performance is always an indicator of future performance :lol:

Thankfully we like in a democracy - when the next election comes round we'll kick this 'smoke and mirrors' Government out...

Like that will really make a difference.

My dad waited years for the Tories to go. He really believed things would be better under Labour.

Mugs game.

I don't know exact numbers, but I would suggest it's a tiny number in comparison to those already wallowing in the comforting OO illusion of ever-rising prices.

It's not at all like power stations, because *everyone* already agrees (bar a few right wing Clarkson fossil fuel burning zealots, possibly) that pollution is a Bad Thing.

Good point. Any anti BTL movement would be lumped in with the anti capitalists. Although the anti capitalists didn't coin the term, the media did, an instant way of dismissing the credibility of their agenda in the minds of millions.

How many people protested the Iraq War? Worldwide demos was it? Biggest ever protest? Over a million in this country? Dunno, I'm sketchy on the details.

It worked well though.

Edited by dazw01842

protest against not being able to buy a house! as if people will ever do that . it sounds and is stupid.

Hey, I'd hit it :) I don't give a fudge if people think I'm 'poor'. Fact is I'm probably richer than the majority of FTBers, difference is I've got a modicum of financial sense.

Protests don't work.

That's what you say.

Does this mean .... ?

Getting the British to protest is like getting a Muslim to eat pork.

Can you imagine "Disgruntled viewer, Baseldon" storming the Bastille with the flag of revolution drapped around her breast.

Or take the hoodie chav who shouts agressive abuse at you from his park bench hang-out or steals your car just for the fun of it. Can you imagine him throwing Molotov cocktails at Tony Blair´s riot suppression squads in the name of freedom, deomcracy and a better life for all?

I suppose we chopped the king´s head off a couple of centuries ago - but then we had second thoughts and brought another one back.

God, I mean the last time the BTL-shopkeeper-nimby-infested populace had b*llocks was nearly a thosand years ago during the Peasants´Revolt.

Dream on and welcome to serfdom.

I didn't buy gold three years ago because I didn't realise it was going to go up so much. It has since gone through the roof, which is clearly unjust. I am organising a protest to get Tony Bliar to make the price of gold to go down to the level it was three years ago, so that this time I can get on the bandwagon. Thank you for your support. Bonkers Stark Raving.

I didn't buy gold three years ago because I didn't realise it was going to go up so much. It has since gone through the roof, which is clearly unjust. I am organising a protest to get Tony Bliar to make the price of gold to go down to the level it was three years ago, so that this time I can get on the bandwagon. Thank you for your support. Bonkers Stark Raving.

Precisely .

"I would venture to suggest that a lot of people who have never heard of Drax power station now know it is the dirtiest coal-fired power station in the UK blah blah and it needs to be shut down for the good of all..."

If you really eant to get people to get out on the streets and protest, I would suggest that cutting off 7% of the nation's power supply should do the trick.

Allternatively, we could launch a campaign to get people to save energy, by not wasting precious resources by frivilous use of the Internet, for instance.

Guest pioneer31

You may as well compare bananas. It has as much relevance :rolleyes:

Precisely .

Idiot

I think it is starting to become evident in the media now that discontent with the existing state of things is growing. Divisions within the Labour party are also apparent. Why else would Labour politicians be calling for Tony Blair to leave? They know that there is a serious risk that they will be wiped-out at the next election. Even if Tony Blair goes I doubt Gordon Brown will be able to stop the momentum which is now moving in a direction contrary to current Labour party interests. It's a shame because once they were a good government. If a protest goes ahead I will certainly be there. It may not bring down house prices but it will get noticed by those with vested interests and it will influence some politicians. But I still think the most effective force on our side will be higher interest rates and an increase in unemployment. This will crush many of the profiteers. Nobody can control this though.

You may as well compare bananas. It has as much relevance :rolleyes:

Idiot

Only if banannas have gone up in price a lot in recent times. I could have used oil as anotehr example, for instance, but not US$s.

You seem to have forgotten the HPC mantra. BTL investors aren't profiteers, as the above poster suggests. They are muppets who are about to lose the shirt of their back. The crah that will wipe out their profits is just about to unfold - remember. :rolleyes:

"I would venture to suggest that a lot of people who have never heard of Drax power station now know it is the dirtiest coal-fired power station in the UK blah blah and it needs to be shut down for the good of all..."

It's actually the cleanest coal-fired power station in the country

Guest pioneer31

Only if banannas have gone up in price a lot in recent times. I could have used oil as anotehr example, for instance, but not US$s.

You seem to have forgotten the HPC mantra. BTL investors aren't profiteers, as the above poster suggests. They are muppets who are about to lose the shirt of their back. The crah that will wipe out their profits is just about to unfold - remember. :rolleyes:

Can I survive without bananas? Can I survive without Gold?

Can you hold me to ransom with either?

You're parroting the idiotic bull mantra - "Prices won't fall, it's different this time"

Edited by pioneer31

spot on... when i organised enough evidence to push for investigation into motgage fraud... supplied it here and suggested that everyone cintacted their mp's and the police i was met by stunning innactivity......

okay its a bull market based on speculation with enough people at the bottom going splat with hideous debt making the bedrock of the market for no one to be able to call it sustainable...

but the point is.. we are dumb... either in hideous debt or aware and sat back.... the people bless them