House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
moocow

Surveyors - Help Needed?

We are in the process of buying but I have a few questions regarding getting the survey done.

Does the Lender ALLWAYS carry out there own survey?

If so, is this charged to myself?

If it is charged to myself, can I simply instruct my own Surveyor (Accredited with the correct bodies) to carry out the survey and would that satisfy the lenders needs or will they STILL need to do there own survey which they would also bill me for?

Im asking as if I am going to pay twice, once by Lender and once by surveyor, then I will simply have the Lender do the survey, but I understand you have no comeback if something is picked up.

It is a period property so am looking for a FULL survey to be carried out.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for any help.

We are in the process of buying but I have a few questions regarding getting the survey done.

Does the Lender ALLWAYS carry out there own survey?

If so, is this charged to myself?

If it is charged to myself, can I simply instruct my own Surveyor (Accredited with the correct bodies) to carry out the survey and would that satisfy the lenders needs or will they STILL need to do there own survey which they would also bill me for?

Im asking as if I am going to pay twice, once by Lender and once by surveyor, then I will simply have the Lender do the survey, but I understand you have no comeback if something is picked up.

It is a period property so am looking for a FULL survey to be carried out.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for any help.

Most lenders would like their own surveyor.

If I was gonna lend you 250k do you think i would trust your surveyor? don't think so.

Edited by Impartial

I have just done what you are planning to do. I did not want to pay for mortgage application fees before finding out if the property was any good or not.

Go to the lender you intend to use (britannia in my case) and ask them which surveyers are prefered by them. Also tell them what you intend to do and make sure it is OK with them. There may be only one, or several in any area that they use. Go directly to that surveyer and get the survey done, before commiting to mortgage/ solicitors fees etc.

If everything is OK, the lender will then want the valuation part of the survey "re typed" onto their forms. This costs £50 approx. They will then accept the survey with the mortgage application.