House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Red Baron

Port Solent, Portsmouth

Rather off-topic, but if anyone can help I would be extremely grateful.

A relative wants to buy a property here and I have heard several rumours that subsidence is a problem along with 'gassing' from rubbish infill in the area. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Guest Charlie The Tramp

A relative wants to buy a property here and I have heard several rumours that subsidence is a problem along with 'gassing' from rubbish infill in the area. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Try this site, put in the postcode for free info. For a fee you can obtain detailed in depth info on the postcode.

HomeCheck

Yes.

I have an anecdote as I spent 18 years living 8 miles down the road.

A very old friend worked on building the foundations for parts of Port Solent. He knew several 'old boys' who were driving lorries as youngsters & dumping toxic waste such as mercury for the MOD (or possibly illegally) there after the war.

Loads of it 'allegedly'.

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

Hi Red,

I know this area. Here is a multimap reference, and below I have highlighted some structures of interest.

Port Solent itself always seems to have a fullish car park but its restraunts, bars and shops always seem empty every time I have been there. It is overshaddowed by the newer Gun Wharf in Portsmouth (sporting its new tower). Gun Wharf, tho hardly ideal does at least have a pulse. Then there is Ocean Village in Southampton, again much more lively.

As for gas venting, you can see that the site has a huge waste tip as a neighbour (nice). It also has a particularly soulless approach road from the east (the motorway access direction). the motorway also snakes its way around the area and would be noisey, especially in wet weather.

This is a very low lying area (naturally). A neighbour of mine whose son has a PhD in climatelogy and works under the chief gov advisor on climate change was told whatever she did not to buy there. That is not of course the same as subsidence. He was refering to rising sea levels.

On the plus side, views across the bay to portchester castle are pleasant enough. Shame they have never gotten around to flood lighting the thing at night.

port_solent.JPG

post-141-1157414359_thumb.jpg

Thanks to all for your useful comments. Here are two quotes resulting from a Google search:

1 "I have an anecdote as I spent 18 years living 8 miles down the road.

A very old friend worked on building the foundations for parts of Port Solent. He knew several 'old boys' who were driving lorries as youngsters & dumping toxic waste such as mercury for the MOD (or possibly illegally) there after the war.

Loads of it 'allegedly'."

2 "Port Solent - that place always makes me laugh.

It's got a motorway on one side, an active landfill site on the other, a disused gassing landfill in close proximity, is built on poorly reclaimed land and is close to some of the worst estates in Hampshire. Also, travellers have set up camp next to it on several occasions, and it will probably be all under water in about 80 years.

When I worked for an engineering practice down that way, one of the senior guys was involved in the orginal development told me that the construction quality was some of the worst he had every seen, so Im suprised they are still standing"

I think I will tell my sister-in-law to give Port Solent a miss.

Thanks to all for your useful comments. Here are two quotes resulting from a Google search:

1 "I have an anecdote as I spent 18 years living 8 miles down the road.

Loads of it 'allegedly'."

2 "Port Solent - that place always makes me laugh.

It's got a motorway on one side, an active landfill site on the other, a disused gassing landfill in close proximity, is built on poorly reclaimed land and is close to some of the worst estates in Hampshire. Also, travellers have set up camp next to it on several occasions, and it will probably be all under water in about 80 years.

When I worked for an engineering practice down that way, one of the senior guys was involved in the orginal development told me that the construction quality was some of the worst he had every seen, so Im suprised they are still standing"

I think I will tell my sister-in-law to give Port Solent a miss.

I lived in Portsmouth for 28 years and know Port Solent well.. it used to be 'the' place before Gunwharf was built but no longer. Although I don't know much about the building side of things, I was aware that gases used to vent off and knew there was a landfill site.

Much other nicer places in the surrounding area's than Port Solent for your money... Leigh Park excluded!!

Perhaps they are referring to fiscal subsidence?