House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MEtallic

The Welfare State

With so many topics on this board now discussing the immigration issue, isn’t it also time to discuss the Welfare State, but nationally?

What was the Welfare State set up for?

I believe it was initially set up to help the most disadvantaged in society, those who for various reasons were in no position to earn for themselves or able to help themselves out of whatever unfortunate situations they were in. The problem is that nowadays, the definition of “disadvantaged” encompasses very large portions of the UK population.

Got pregnant too early? Claim some cash.

Tripped on a pavement? Claim some cash.

Sore back? Claim some cash.

A Pensioner who blew all his savings away when he was young (yes, old people used to be young and reckless like us) and now can’t afford to heat his house? Claim cash.

Only 1 bed house? Poor me.

Only drive a Fiesta? Poor me.

Imagine some Afghan, Indonesian or African saying or doing any of the above! I bet you get very few work shy people over there suffering from phantom headaches and backaches!

Until the whole system is re-examined, we will forever be wasting billions on processing claims, red tape, fraud etc. Not only could all this money be put to where it’s really needed, unemployment would drop and prices would drop as there will be less cash floating about the system.

People are literally dying to have what we have here in the UK; it should be reformed for the benefit of all before it implodes on us.

With so many topics on this board now discussing the immigration issue, isn’t it also time to discuss the Welfare State, but nationally?

What was the Welfare State set up for?

I believe it was initially set up to help the most disadvantaged in society, those who for various reasons were in no position to earn for themselves or able to help themselves out of whatever unfortunate situations they were in. The problem is that nowadays, the definition of “disadvantaged” encompasses very large portions of the UK population.

Got pregnant too early? Claim some cash.

Tripped on a pavement? Claim some cash.

Sore back? Claim some cash.

A Pensioner who blew all his savings away when he was young (yes, old people used to be young and reckless like us) and now can’t afford to heat his house? Claim cash.

Only 1 bed house? Poor me.

Only drive a Fiesta? Poor me.

Imagine some Afghan, Indonesian or African saying or doing any of the above! I bet you get very few work shy people over there suffering from phantom headaches and backaches!

Until the whole system is re-examined, we will forever be wasting billions on processing claims, red tape, fraud etc. Not only could all this money be put to where it’s really needed, unemployment would drop and prices would drop as there will be less cash floating about the system.

People are literally dying to have what we have here in the UK; it should be reformed for the benefit of all before it implodes on us.

Of course it needs to be reformed teenage single mums get luxury accomodation compared to what many working people have.

Of course it needs to be reformed teenage single mums get luxury accomodation compared to what many working people have.

It's those on Incapacity that get my goat. Give the genuine recipients a bad name. Do away with all benefits apart from disability, and by disability I don't mean having a bad back!

It's those on Incapacity that get my goat. Give the genuine recipients a bad name. Do away with all benefits apart from disability, and by disability I don't mean having a bad back!

Wouldn't go as far as to say that, mate. You never know if you're going to need it or not.

I fear for the young if there should be an economic crisis as we had in the seventies, such as runaway inflation. There are no Ted Heaths or Harold Wilsons around now.

Is it a coincidence that the bits of the economy that the government takes an active role in running are also those parts that seem to perform the worst?

Housing

Schools

Healthcare

Social services

Transport