House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
loderingo

Unbelievable

Have recently got a new job so am looking for somewhere nice to rent in Reading. Saw this listing on Gumtree http://reading.gumtree.com/reading/42/5739542.html and went to have a look this evening. The owners were a nice Italian couple obviously newby BTLs. They were showing round another guy at the same time. It was a brand new house and the estate wasn't even finished. For £110pw I expected the room to be the largest, was not that large. They'd converted the lounge into a 5th bedroom. You can see it at: http://www.smartnewhomes.com/property/Deta...aspx#img1811199

So for the "living room" they were asking £600pcm

for "bedroom 1" £500pcm

for "bedroom 2" £480pcm

They have somehow rented out the master bedroom and bedroom 3. The bedroom 3 tenant was there and he looked completly miserable - no wonder. Those prices are miles ahead of any other house share in Reading.

Maybe someone can do the figures for me, assuming they are asking £450 and £700 for the other two bedrooms would that cover the mortgage? Are they in dire straits or are they just being greedy?

Lod

PS: The other guy seemed quite interested but then I found out they were giving him a lift back to London.

Mortgage could be 1250 interest only, or 1750 repayment.

income would be 1580 (based on your post data, and not including bedroom 3 and 4)

They are offeing to pay all bills too which would be around 300 a month. So yeah they will make a killing, at your expense.

So for the "living room" they were asking £600pcm

for "bedroom 1" £500pcm

for "bedroom 2" £480pcm

Best thing to do would be to inform the council they are operating a MHO and get them to inspect, there are new laws now that cost the landlords money and have strict regs for people doing this kind of thing. Interesting though, because my girlfriend has been renting near central london(15mins bus to Old street) MHO rooms at only 400pcm. Hard to believe Reading would be more expensive, not the nicest of rooms or areas though.

Interesting though, because my girlfriend has been renting near central london(15mins bus to Old street) MHO rooms at only 400pcm. Hard to believe Reading would be more expensive, not the nicest of rooms or areas though.

Exactly I've never paid more than £500/month for a room in zone 2 London. Reading must be in an alternate reality. Love the fact it's described as an executive room.

Edited by greencat

Exactly I've never paid more than £500/month for a room in zone 2 London. Reading must be in an alternate reality. Love the fact it's described as an executive room.

The amazing people thing is that people sometimes pay amazing prices. I rent out rooms in zone 4 london for £47 pw but someone near me manages to find people to pay that for half a room near us !

The average for Reading (and most of the SE outside of London) is about £350-450. I want to live somewhere nice rather than a shithole and so would have considered the £480 room if it had been exceptionally nice. But it wasn't.

I get the impression that a lot of newby btls sit down and say - this is our mortgage cost, this is our intended profit so we'll charge this figure rather than looking at what the market will support.

Forgot to say they wanted 6 weeks rent as deposit (because of all the new IKEA furniture) but really I guess to fill the hole in their wallets.

They also were telling me that they'd had someone round a few weeks back who had been very critical of everything. "We wouldn't have let it to him, if he'd offered us a thousand punds a month". Yeah right!

The average for Reading (and most of the SE outside of London) is about £350-450. I want to live somewhere nice rather than a shithole and so would have considered the £480 room if it had been exceptionally nice. But it wasn't.

I get the impression that a lot of newby btls sit down and say - this is our mortgage cost, this is our intended profit so we'll charge this figure rather than looking at what the market will support.

Forgot to say they wanted 6 weeks rent as deposit (because of all the new IKEA furniture) but really I guess to fill the hole in their wallets.

They also were telling me that they'd had someone round a few weeks back who had been very critical of everything. "We wouldn't have let it to him, if he'd offered us a thousand punds a month". Yeah right!

The smaller bedrooms are broom cupboards. Why would anyone pay hundreds of pounds a month to live in one?

2 years ago I was paying 160 quid a month for a large room in Reading. It was a nasty house but couldn't complain about the price considering I was 15 minutes walk from Oracle (IT company) where I worked. I could see the building from my bedroom window.

Are you sure its for private residence and not the rent paid by working girls for a room to work from ?.

Sounds like it to me.

The advertisement quotes "Weekly maid service "

Nudge, nudge ... wink, wink ... say no more about it. ;);)

Edited by Caledonian-Emigre

Went to another place tonight. The room was an OK size. It was square with a little extra piece giving access to a built in wardrobe (which was a bit like a big airing cupboard)

LL: I'm going to put an ensuite in that corner next week

Me: Right. So I would have to go through the shower to get to the wardrobe

LL: Yes... but it would be too much effort to break through the wall and put in a new door to the wardrobe.

Will be interesting to see if this great new idea of putting the wardrobe in the shower takes off :lol:

Does anyone know if there's any laws which mean that landlords have to tell the truth about their properties like travel agents have to? Here's the ad:

To let nice ensuite, double room with double bed in high standard house equiped with dishwasher, w/machine, wireless bband, tv, stereo, nice garden, new bathroom, etc. sharing accommodation with 2 male and 2 female. Available to couple or single person. 390 pounds per month. Property is situated in nice area, very close to University and town center. Parking available.

Basically I disagree with all the bits highlighted. It also fails to mention that £390 does not include bills.

Do you rember those documentaries at the height of the Japanese property bubble showing futuristic "sleeping capsules" (basically thousands of self-contianed bunk beds) for businessmen to spend the night in after a night on the town or because they could only go home at weekends as they lived so far out of Tokyo.

Looks like Britain is heading that way.

We can all live happily together in a giant ant hill or termite mound.

Seems excessive, i now rent a large two bedroom flat, with garage and garden near the station in wokingham for 765pm. When i rented a room in Richmond (which should be more expensive than reading) near the river, it was pretty big, enough to fit a large desk, a sofa and chair, coffee table, a double bed and two small wardrobes with room left over to swing a couple of cats with CT and water included for about 460pm.

Some people take the piss!

Edited by noyk

Seems excessive, i now rent a large two bedroom flat, with garage and garden near the station in wokingham for 765pm. When i rented a room in Richmond (which should be more expensive than reading) near the river, it was pretty big, enough to fit a large desk, a sofa and chair, coffee table, a double bed and two small wardrobes with room left over to swing a couple of cats with CT and water included for about 460pm.

Some people take the piss!

I rent a 2 double bed flat, nicely turned out (although done up specifically to be a BTL, cheap cooker, MFI kitchen, lanimate floor etc) for £725 per month. It is 10 mins walk from the town centre in the university area.

The prices for that shared house are taking the piss. Laugh a them.

I rent a 2 double bed flat, nicely turned out (although done up specifically to be a BTL, cheap cooker, MFI kitchen, lanimate floor etc) for £725 per month. It is 10 mins walk from the town centre in the university area.

The prices for that shared house are taking the piss. Laugh a them.

I rent a 2 double bedroom flat in Kew - not a great kitchen or bathroom, but has its own drive (which is great!) and very large lounge and bedroom 1, for £850 a month - also its own front patio and it's in a quiet tree-lined cul-de-sac :)

I'm not buying anytime soon! :P

Edited by SHERWICK

Have recently got a new job so am looking for somewhere nice to rent in Reading. Saw this listing on Gumtree http://reading.gumtree.com/reading/42/5739542.html and went to have a look this evening. The owners were a nice Italian couple obviously newby BTLs. They were showing round another guy at the same time. It was a brand new house and the estate wasn't even finished. For £110pw I expected the room to be the largest, was not that large. They'd converted the lounge into a 5th bedroom. You can see it at: http://www.smartnewhomes.com/property/Deta...aspx#img1811199

Ha! - It's just around the corner from Whitley Wood. Asbo central for Reading. 50 yards from the M4 (Hmmm that'll be quiet at night), and just half a mile from J11, so the traffic will be gridlocked whenever you leave for work or try to return home. Unless you work in Green Park near Madejski Stadium, it's miles from anywhere. It's miles into town, so you may as well look at the neighbouring smaller towns like Wokingham, or possibly consider the University area?