House Price Crash Forum
Chriso

How Come In Germany I Can Buy This.........

............but here I can't buy a pot to pith in.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-607...p;chnl=overseas

€70,000, (£50k) for a 7 bedroom rural house (albeit a renovation job) but here for £50k I'd first of all probably not have room to swing a mouse, and secondly I'd need a riot shield to walk home.

Anyone else off to Germany with me? It's like Auf Weidersehehn Pet all over again :o)

Guest Shedfish

for the price of a one bedroom flat in Slough you get one of these

and instead of a 3 bedroom house in Slough you get this

and then there's Colditz

Edited by Shedfish

If you look at Berlin, all properties, you see portfolios being sold with a yield of 10.1%

12 apartments and a shop for €525,000 (£353,650) (ave £27203 each)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-801...p;chnl=overseas

This tells me there must be something wrong with being a landlord in Germany.

If our property deflated to that level, which it might, then there would be chaos.

EDIT:

24 bedroom pad for €40,000

Edited by Della

€70,000, (£50k) for a 7 bedroom rural house (albeit a renovation job) but here for £50k I'd first of all probably not have room to swing a mouse, and secondly I'd need a riot shield to walk home.

Anyone else off to Germany with me? It's like Auf Weidersehehn Pet all over again :o)

I can tell you why.....there are no jobs to find.

So close to the polish(?) border....did you ever hear about the unemployment rate oft east Germany....????

So close to the polish(?) border....did you ever hear about the unemployment rate oft east Germany....????

You may be right, tell you what, I'll go to France instead and instead of buying 1 bedrom flat in Newcastle city centre for £115,000, I'll have this instead.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-745...p;chnl=overseas

10 million unemployed?

<_<

German prices, while not all as cheap as this example, are retrained by MUCH tighter credit control. Germany has a mortgage bond system which prevents the anyone-with-a-pulse-don't-care-about-fraud system of the UK.

Plus, in much much of Europe rural areas are usually much much cheaper. Here in the UK, rural areas are brutually expensive because they are 'pretty', while urban areas are brutally expensive because they have amenities close by. You can't win.

10 million unemployed?

<_<

Yes but they don't have 3 million on incapacity benifit and cook the books with students like the UK does

Germanys don't like credit like we do and in the long term will do well

You know what they say about buying at the bottom

The problem with the Brits is that like with Tulip Mania we have lost any point of reference to the intrinsic value of property,it has become pure speculation.

Only when we see German property for sale or look back at the price of the UK market in 1996 do we get a point of reference and our perception of value is challenged.

The two countries seem to be on completely different economic cycles (probably better that the UK stay out of the Euro until they start to synchronise) so a well timed move can profit the individual. Currently a lot of Germans look to the UK for better paying jobs although I expect this to change in a year or so.
This tells me there must be something wrong with being a landlord in Germany.
Being a landlord in Germany isn’t that great as property is well regulated with the rules stacked in favour of the tenant, although yields must sound good when compared to the UK.

On price: Planning laws are quite relaxed, people build houses they want, social (and student) housing are in good supply - so generally don’t buy in Germany expecting capital appreciation.

I currently work in Dresden, and it is now the NO 1 Semiconductor site in Europe (Silicon Valley of Europe).

All the companies are comming here,

AMD, Siemens, Philips, Infineon, there all here. The biggest Technical University in Europe plus i can rent a 2 bedroom flat for

280pcm. Life in East Germany has never been better.

Also another point, Airbus was doing Roadshows all around Germany. They are heavily recruiting here at the moment, could that have anything to do

with buying out BAE Systems ?????

I currently work in Dresden, and it is now the NO 1 Semiconductor site in Europe (Silicon Valley of Europe).

All the companies are comming here,

AMD, Siemens, Philips, Infineon, there all here. The biggest Technical University in Europe plus i can rent a 2 bedroom flat for

280pcm. Life in East Germany has never been better.

Also another point, Airbus was doing Roadshows all around Germany. They are heavily recruiting here at the moment, could that have anything to do

with buying out BAE Systems ?????

Yes, I´ve never understood why the former German Democratic Republic has been languishing so long.

It is strategically placed to take advantage of the changes in Central and Eastern Europe (with cities like Prague, Budapest, Bratislava and Vienna nearby).

Ive bought in Berlin.

A property I was buying there (I pulled out) for 47500 EUROS had sold to the present owners for c245000 euros in 1997!

Go back to the early nineties - London. My brother couldnt give away his flat for £19000 having paid £60000 a couple of years before.

My ex Father - In - Law bought a repossesed 15 bed hotel for £200000 that the previous owners paid £575000 for.

The German property market wont remain like this much longer. Change happens.

People wrote off UK Northern real estate just a few years back. CHANGE HAPPENS. You can either be a part of that or sit it out.

Yes, I´ve never understood why the former German Democratic Republic has been languishing so long.

It is strategically placed to take advantage of the changes in Central and Eastern Europe (with cities like Prague, Budapest, Bratislava and Vienna nearby).

'Change' nearly always takes us by surprise. The mental status - quoe somehow becomes rigid to such an extent that people are simply blindsided.

Never forget that MOST people in the early and mid nineties (and even late ninieties) couldnt see B2L offering promise. Those same people now dismiss these new opportunities without any real thought. :rolleyes:

People wrote off UK Northern real estate just a few years back. CHANGE HAPPENS. You can either be a part of that or sit it out.

'Change' nearly always takes us by surprise. The mental status - quoe somehow becomes rigid to such an extent that people are simply blindsided.

Never forget that MOST people in the early and mid nineties (and even late ninieties) couldnt see B2L offering promise. Those same people now dismiss these new opportunities without any real thought. :rolleyes:

Precisely, I always believe in going against the crowd (but with a lot of research of course).

Germany offers a first world economy and infrastructure with developing country real estate prices.

Your Warren Buffett phrase succinctly sums things up.

Why not? When I last visited Germany I saw a higher rate of housebuilding than I have seen anywhere else, I was driving around outside Stuttgart and there was mile after mile of cranes and new house construction, and the place has a falling population.

Edited by Della

I can recall 1988 when I was a researcher in Glasgow, blocks of apartments were selling for 100k pounds. That would be the price of each flat today.

I am curious about the opportunities in Germany and wonder if there really are others who are considering whether it’s worth investing in property over there. What doesn’t look good are the rents, which are 350Euros per month (nett). This suggests a very low income base for the area.

What do others think?

Yes, and in particular, PropertyGuru, if you're reading, why not offer the benefit of your wisdom on this question?

Is there ANY overseas property market that you might consider? Seeing that you judged the UK one so well....

The Germans probably have more sense than to pay extortionate rents to greedy landlords. Well done the Germans for building more flats when the population is declining. That should put pay to any grand designs the brit BTL locusts might have over there.

Yes but they don't have 3 million on incapacity benifit and cook the books with students like the UK does

Germanys don't like credit like we do and in the long term will do well

You know what they say about buying at the bottom

So would the UK have 10 million unemployed if they added all these figures up? Don't the Germans have disability figure to add to their 10 million? I'll be amazed if Germany doesn't go through some major and painful restructuring in the future. I'll be even more amazed if Merkel or anyone else can do the job with their parlimentary system.

Come on, don't kid a kidder!