House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Reasons To Be Grateful

Reading RB's posts about teaching creationism in schools, I just want to say that, much as I mock the government, I am grateful that we are governed by people with an underlying belief in rational argument and evidence.

Does anyone else have anything they like about the status quo?

What were you doing reading RB's posts?

Othwerise, I'm not a big quo fan myself.

unlike previous generations i have never had to fight in a mainland european war

and now i am too old - hooray!

also - one can drink the tap water :P

I'd suggest AC/DC's "Back in Black", really top rock.

Great for early on a Sunday.

She's no Mona Lisa

No she's no playboy star

But she'll send you to heaven

Then explode you to Mars

She's using her head again

She's using her head

She's using her head again

I'm justa giving the dog a bone

Giving the dog a bone, giving the dog a bone

Giving the dog a bone, giving the dog a bone

:P

Whatever could they mean?

Edited by BandWagon

Guest Shedfish

i'm struggling for a way to express my joy at the UK not being a theocracy, without referring to deity

ah, got one "thank f... we don't live in a theocracy" :)

i always liked Frank's green telecaster, but still wait in vain for a minor 9th / dim 7th combo

didn't they write a song called Papal Plane?

Edited by Shedfish

Reading RB's posts about teaching creationism in schools, I just want to say that, much as I mock the government, I am grateful that we are governed by people with an underlying belief in rational argument and evidence.

It's easy to notice all the silliness and snags - only occasionally do you realise how well most of the structure holds up.

So I want to thank God (:D) we are not living in a theocracy.

Indeed. Europe used to be a (near) theocracy many hundreds of years ago. A period now referred to as "the dark ages".

The other thing that is really good about living in Europe is that you can travel most of it safely, there are very few no-go areas. I know many people who work in Africa and whenever I get back from visiting them I realise how nice it is not to have to live in a compound, not have to drive everywhere and be able to walk around without worrying about your safety.

It is for this reason why I think reducing (or at least not increasing) the gap between rich and poor is so important.

We actually DO live in a theocracy, Queen Elizabeth II is head of the Church of England, she's supposedly put in her place by God, all power supposedly flows from God through her dainty fingertips, and she's got the job for life. We also have bishops in the House of Lords. We just don't live in an American style theocracy.

Really we are as open to the charge of being a theocracy as Iran is.

Edited by Della

Erm... Are you sure about that?

Have you ever been to Iran?

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/theocracy

theocracy

1. Government under the control of a Church or state-sponsored religion.

2. Rule by God

QE2 is the head of the church and head of the state. Church of England is the state religion. We do have Bishops in parliament voting on laws. She was also put there by God supposedly, and gets her power from God in theory.

I'm not arguing that it is the same in every aspect as Iran.

Edited by Della

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/theocracy

QE2 is the head of the church and head of the state. Church of England is the state religion. We do have Bishops in parliament voting on laws. She was also put there by God supposedly, and gets her power from God in theory.

I'm not arguing that it is the same in every aspect as Iran.

In theory there's very little difference between theory and practice, in practice there is!

Lets get this into perspective. Realistically, we do not live in a theocracy in the UK in 2006. I can't believe anyone is seriously arguing about this :blink:

I am grateful that women are more willing to sleep with you without insisting on marriage first.

...Aided by the fact they don't get put in prison for crimes against chastity if they do!

...Aided by the fact they don't get put in prison for crimes against chastity if they do!

You guys have just ruined a great music thread.

Just sex sex sex, that's all the younger generation are interested in these days...

You seem to have an obsession with RB, borne by envy and frustration at your inability to deconstruct his arguments perhaps.

Anybody who believes this government have any more underlying belief in rational argument and evidence than say the US is under a delusion.

How naive...

You seem to have an obsession with RB, borne by envy and frustration at your inability to deconstruct his arguments perhaps.

I totally disagree.

Anybody who believes this government have any more underlying belief in rational argument and evidence than say the US is under a delusion.

I totally agree.

How naive...

Its hard to have a debate with anyone who refuses to admit they have made a mistake when confronted with overwhelming evidence, or even admits to areas in which they have little or no knowledge. I freely admit that there is so much i dont know; but RB discussing genetics and probabilities its just preposterous. See below for an example.

Hmmm, this thread's not exactly groaning under the weight of submitted 'Reasons to be Grateful' is it?

OK, I'll nominate the good old British sense of humour, satire in particular, without which we'd all go totally hatstand.

And the fact that English is the global lingua franca, which, hurrah, makes it easier for Brits to emigrate and find work. :D

Hmmm, this thread's not exactly groaning under the weight of submitted 'Reasons to be Grateful' is it?

OK, I'll nominate the good old British sense of humour, satire in particular, without which we'd all go totally hatstand.

And the fact that English is the global lingua franca, which, hurrah, makes it easier for Brits to emigrate and find work. :D

I'm grateful for the option to ignore posters on this site and have just put Crashdive on ignore. This is the first time I have felt the need to do this but read his/her posts and decide for yourself whether he/she is adding anything to the debate.

Edited by Tuffers