House Price Crash Forum
penguin

Only 12k Per Annum

I keep reading about people wages on this site, most are like 20-40k, now is there anybody actually on this site who ISN'T a proffesional, i.e working for shit at tesco's full time as a shelf stacker? cus there are many peeps that do, only this site seems to be full of ""proffesionals"" and so everytime someone is talking about affording houses its not really the wage for sumone like me, about 12k, how pethetic is that!

is there anyone else on this ridiculous low wage are increasingly frustrated with the so called """average wage of 20k+""

13k admin assistant. 24 and still living with parents, saving 500 a month. Looking to buy a 1 bedroom flat but not at these prices :angry:

Mate, get a job!

Rather than saving £500pm, use this money to train yourself up and get some skills that employers will pay for. It will be worth it in the long run.

Edited by jonewer

I keep reading about people wages on this site, most are like 20-40k, now is there anybody actually on this site who ISN'T a proffesional, i.e working for shit at tesco's full time as a shelf stacker? cus there are many peeps that do, only this site seems to be full of ""proffesionals"" and so everytime someone is talking about affording houses its not really the wage for sumone like me, about 12k, how pethetic is that!

is there anyone else on this ridiculous low wage are increasingly frustrated with the so called """average wage of 20k+""

I was there once (dishwasher, packer in a soap factory, pickled onion factory etc.) so I can sympathise. But later I trained and got a professional occupation. I still have friends who do lower paid jobs. You are totally legitimate to be here.

Yes I would agree, there are many jobs out there that pay real wages.

You could maybe go to evening classes as I did to improve yourself.

A trade is a pretty good thing to have, I gave up the tools 15yrs ago but still keep my hand in now and again just in case I have to fall back on it.

I have never ever been unemployed, the trick is to have several strings to your bow.

Mate, get a job!

Rather than saving £500pm, use this money to train yourself up and get some skills that employers will pay for. It will be worth it in the long run.

The point they're trying to make "mate" is that there will always be people who earn less than the average and unless we want to live in a jungle, those people should be entitled to a decent living. If we need cleaners, checkout assistants etc, then we need to make sure those people can afford to survive.

Otherwise, we won't be able to fill those jobs, except by importing third world workers (although I have no grudge with them, they're just trying to get by like the rest of us) and keeping them in poverty.

Your comment is the equivalent of "Let them eat cake"

"Why can't everyone just be a wealthy professional?"

Patronising simpleton

Mate, get a job!

Good advice! I have been spending too much time thinking about how much I can potentially save rather than how much i could potentially earn.

There are many people who would gladly do 20hrs cleaning, or shop work. Unfortunately the system does not allow them to work and penalises them if they do.

I think everybody is good at something, you just have to put your mind to it and find out what it is.

You dont have to be an einstein to lay bricks, but you can easily earn 800 quid a week these days working for someone. If you do your own work then you will get 600 quid a thousand, so if you are good then 3k per week no sweat.

Its all a matter of choice, we all look back and wish we had done things differently hindsight is a wonderfull thing, but remember its never too late to learn. In fact in this day and age, its important to understand the you will always have to be learning something new.

Guest AuntJess

Mate, get a job!

Ah, yes, but that is the trick isn't it? To train for something that is in demand, that you can get your head round. And even if you manage to fulfil both those conditions, you may well find that you compete with dozens if not hundreds, for the same jobs.

What you really need is a fairer slice of the pie for lower paid workers - ie. decent housing within financial reach... and perhaps a crystal ball! :rolleyes: Don't we all.

Edited by AuntJess

I have never ever been unemployed, the trick is to have several strings to your bow.

Plus a couple of quivers, a spare bow, an axe and if all else fails a wooden club. :lol:

You are right though, not being solely reliant on one skill/sector is important.

Things change, top line "professional" jobs can be very difciult to replace whne the chips are down, self-employment can be mixed at best or a continual process of feast and famine. Things have changed a lot the idea of a career in a single market sector let alone a career with a single employer (apart from a few notable exceptions) are a thing of the past.

get a skill. my father was a tradesman and my mother a cleaner. I got a profession. after leaving school i went to night school then university. I now earn a good wage. Do something with a long term potential. remember if you stay in a job like the one you describe our polish friends will keep your wages depressed. If I follwed my mum and dad I would be struggling also. You also have the advantage of havig worked. I have chumps working for me who have studied some obscure degree and are arrogant and immature. At least youve been surrounded by people with there feet on the ground.

I think the point here is that whatever job you have, you should be able to afford somewhere to live. We all work hard for our money and pay our taxes, which should entitle us to some kind of roof over our heads. I don't earn much and therefore don't expect much but now people earning above average salaries can can only just afford the one bedroom flats that people like me used to buy.

At 23 I was on 10,000 a year, but fortunately I found something better a year later. Eventually I kissed that job goodbye 3 years later when I was made redundant. I was actually quite lucky because 6 months later everybody who was left at the company (about 30 - 40 individuals) worked until payday on December 15th, when the CEO walked in, told everyone they no longer have a job, they weren't getting paid for their month's work, and they'd be no redundancy deals as they were filing for bankruptcy. What a Christmas they must have had!

Now at 29 I work for myself, which is a lot of hours and hard work, although sometimes I work an hour or two from bed with my laptop in the mornings :D There's more risks in working for yourself, but you can make a lot more money, and I rent for 400 a month saving anywhere between 1000 to 3000 a month. No way I'm going to buy yet. I'd sooner emmigrate!

You could always spend say 5 years training to be.. an Architect (for example) then be expected to work 70 hours a week for a low salary for a further 4 or 5 years, whilst the carrot of future riches and promotion is dangled in front of you, and you still won't be able to afford a house, and then by the time you've become disilusioned and burnt out you get thrown on the scrapheap, and have to become a taxi driver or something.

Even 100k isn't much by the time you take off tax. It's definitely not worth being owned by someone for that amount in my opinion.

The point they're trying to make "mate" is that there will always be people who earn less than the average and unless we want to live in a jungle, those people should be entitled to a decent living. If we need cleaners, checkout assistants etc, then we need to make sure those people can afford to survive.

So what? I earn less than average (for London) but am striving to change that by gaining new skills and spending hours every week getting further qualifications. Yes, we will always need cleaners etc.. but this doesnt mean YOU have to settle for being one of them

Patronising simpleton

Get a sense of ambition for crying out loud

Try applying for a job like my new one.

Train driver for Eurostar...........about £47K per annum plus you get to see France.

Might be a waiting list but get on it.

I'd be somebody's bitch for a few years with that salary!!

Never is just for a few years though is it.. Before you know it you'd be leveraged up to that salary and have to lick someone's a*** for the rest of your working life trying desperately to maintain your standard of living.

Might have made sense in the old days, but not in the madhouse we live in now.

Better off just finding something that's in demand and supplying it better than anyone else.

A good friend of mind is training to become an architect and last year completed her BA in Architectural Design (2:1) at Northumbria University. She's now working full time in an Architectural practice in Staffordshire and will complete her Part II and III studies part time. She's 22 and her pay is currently 11K.

Eurostar driving is very ambitious!! You need years of intercity driving experience (with the likes of Virgin/GNER/MML) before they would consider you!!

I agree the railways are a great place to move onto better money if you hate call centre/data entry/supermarket work.

I work for a supermarket on £5.40 per hour. Only been doing it two months but I really cannot understand how anyone can survive long-term.

Hopefully moving onto trainee train driving in the next few months (application pending) pays £19k basic, then £30k once qualified for a 35-hour four day week.

Charley

http://www.gmroads.co.uk

I'm guessing you never went to University. but if you did you'll see how your salary can accelerate. It's the difference between starting work at 16 or 22.

My comparison (against friends who started work at 16).

16-18

Me - no income, part time jobs or beer money, no holidays

Friend - £80/week, seemed loaded compared to me

19-22

Me - Student - low income helped with loans, lived frugally but had time so really enjoyed myself

Friend - income rose upto about 12K/yr, he had no debts, a car, lots of spare cash compared to me

23-25

Me - first job at 13K/yr down south rising to 17K, transport/accomodation meant I was spending 18K/yr and already massively in debt

Friend - income rose to 14K/yr but he had no debt and still had much more money than me

26-28 (The turning point)

Me - Income rises rapidly from 17K-23K, moved to midlands - started paying back debts

Friend - income rose with inflation and he started to fall behind me

29-onwards

Me - income now high, debts repaid, I am now rich compared to my friend who wishes he had my income.

Friend - looking for promotions but still way behind me.

What I'm tryig to point out is that a good education will increase your earnings potential a lot but it comes at a price.

If your just out of Uni it'll sort it self out over time.

If not then you should've felt richer when younger and might now need to work hard to retrain unless your happy with a salary cap.

Note: You can always work for yourself but this is a gamble and not a sure thing.

Otherwise, we won't be able to fill those jobs, except by importing third world workers (although I have no grudge with them, they're just trying to get by like the rest of us) and keeping them in poverty.

Your comment is the equivalent of "Let them eat cake"

"Why can't everyone just be a wealthy professional?"

Patronising simpleton

Yes I agree.

It is damn tough to be above average wage nowa days for the youngsters.

I worked im some serious sh!th0les and luckily was emplyed as a post graduate just post 2000 after the Y2k nasdaq fiasco - just about got in and am doing OK now.

Lawyers, IT, Maths, Teachers all a lot of high calibre people I still have contact with (about 28/30 years old old ) can't get money can't get paid and really wonder whether UNI was the right choice. 22/24 year old Graduates finding it REALLY tough! The place I work just employed a 2:1 graduate with MCSE and CCNA for 15k! With experience!! It's a Joke. When I left Uni (2000) I was earning 25k within 18 months.

People just don't want to pay for new staff anymore and I am really concerned for the recent post graduates out there.

Surprisingly (or not) I have noticed those that did economics or accountancy degrees have done VERY Well for themselves and in my opinion will always continue to.

Edited by Impartial

Mate, get a job!

I think this is rather a harsh comment.

Firstly, some people may not want to have a proffesion. Its not a sin to not want to learn more. I personally like to try and gain qualifications, most of which my company have supported me with by both paying for them and releasing me from work. I am very lucky in this case.

However, some people simply just dont have time to gain qualifications, but have to spend most of their time working extra hours to make ends meat while trying to spend some quality time with their family.

If it weren't for the thousands of immigrants taking what should be 'our' homes and working for pennies, we would all be better off.

Finally, as we approach a probable recession, it is more likely that 'proffesional' jobs will be most at risk, as they are not 'value added' to many companies. Therefore, even those most qualified among us may have to settle for a 12K-14K job just to get by.

You have a point in a way, but should have a little more respect in your approach!

Dean

If it weren't for the thousands of immigrants taking what should be 'our' homes and working for pennies, we would all be better off.

I've noticed a worrying trend on this forum to blame immigrants for everything.

Do immigrants control our economy, elect our government, force us to consume beyond our means?

The reasons house prices have soared beyond the means of most ordinary people are: the huge increase in speculative investment in housing (mostly through buy-to-let); the restriction of supply (a result of planning laws) and an irrational approach by buyers when it comes to purchasing property (paying way beyond their means/the property's value).

I don't think you can blame immigrants for any of them. Other countries have much larger net immigration than we do and have avoided our level of HPI.

The real problem of low incomes is not their nominal level (which is affected my immigration from poorer countries), but their purchasing power. What we get for our money is the real issue, not how much we get paid (which is historically quite high). In terms of housing some of us now literally get nothing for our money. I don't see how that can be laid at the door of immigrants.

The responsibility lies firmly with us.

The responsibility lies firmly with us.

Government policy is reponsible for surpressing wage inflation through immigration

Government policy is responsible for not releasing land for housing developments restricting supply and increasing prices

GB/BOE is responsible for not increasing IR and alllowing inflation - general and housing - to spiral

You mean WE ("us") are responsible for electing Labour?