House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Willy Weasel

Housebuilders Spin

There is a new Barratt development in my village consisting of 24 properties. On the first day of the launch, Barratt claimed 33% of the properties had been sold and proceeded to trumpet this on its website. Several moths later the board outside the development states that 6 properties have been sold; the information in the sales office states that four have been sold; and the woman in the sales office confirmed these were merely reservations and none of them had exchanged contracts. The website continues to trumpet '33% sold on first day of marketing'.

Another development in the village has a board outside proclaiming 70% sold but all of the properties are for sale on Rightmove.

How do developers get away with this level of misinformation?

There is a new Barratt development in my village consisting of 24 properties. On the first day of the launch, Barratt claimed 33% of the properties had been sold and proceeded to trumpet this on its website. Several moths later the board outside the development states that 6 properties have been sold; the information in the sales office states that four have been sold; and the woman in the sales office confirmed these were merely reservations and none of them had exchanged contracts. The website continues to trumpet '33% sold on first day of marketing'.

Another development in the village has a board outside proclaiming 70% sold but all of the properties are for sale on Rightmove.

Because they lie and hope you buy. ;)

A quick call to your local Trading Standards department might not go amiss.

An estate agency I know of admitted to me they had had a rap over the knuckles when they described a house as 'new instruction' that was being re-marketed after a sale fell through.

The same as here on the isle of wight as 30% of overpriced holiday homes have now sold. Too late I think

Went to a Barratt development launch here in Bournemouth on Friday, it's a prime development on the beach front , Barratts paid local authority £8 million for the site, planning granted for 169 flats - price range £269k to £1.2 million for two bed penthouses.

(do the figures, this sounds like a collosal profit for Barratts! How much to build a flat?).

Amazing scenes at the champagne launch in the Royal Bath Hotel, they only had prices on the first two blocks, you were handed a raffle ticket when you arrived and waited for your number to be called, six desks at the front with a seventh at the back with the head honcho sitting at it. The Rep I spoke to didn't have any prices for individual units, you had to tell her what unit you were interested in, she then went off to the head honcho for a conflab (lots of whispering) and then came back with a price. When I said this was a strange way to carry on, she said "it's supply and demand, prices are going up as we speak" (she obviously knew I was just there to be nosy, as she shook her head in disbelief).

I asked her about the later blocks to be released and their prices, she said these can be reserved on the "early-bird scheme", which was, you give them a thousand pounds deposit now, and they let you know what the flat will cost sometime in the future, she said that could be anything from a month to a year and if you don't like the price, you lose your grand! (I kid you not).

Big board up on the stage with the numbers of the units being released, with a Brady Bunch Smiley Family sticker next to those that had apparently been reserved, they kept shouting over the tannoy system "unit 57 reserved !unit 61 reserved". :blink:

It was busy when I arrived, about a hundred people but when I left the place was pretty empty as people had got pi$$ed off waiting and all the champagne and nibbles had gone. :lol:

It was busy when I arrived, about a hundred people but when I left the place was pretty empty as people had got pi$$ed off waiting and all the champagne and nibbles had gone. :lol:

Sounds like it was designed to create a crowd frenzy.

Maybe it would have worked 3 years ago, but those days are over.