House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OnlyMe

The Exodus?

Thread to track the movement of money and skills out of the UK.

http://www.motortrader.co.uk/hotNews/artic...ARTICLEID=85765

Industry counts cost of migration

01 Sep 2006

Immigration may be the hot news subject at the moment, but it’s the migration of affluent consumers to foreign shores that presents the bigger challenge to the motor trade. According to EurotaxGlass’s, the market is losing an appreciable number of potential buyers to emigration and recent reports suggest the increasing absence of potential consumers could be significant in the years ahead. John Glynn, consumer values editor at EurotaxGlass’s said: “As increasingly large numbers of well-educated and affluent car buyers leave the country for good, there will undoubtedly be ramifications for the motor trade.”

First of all the UK killed off its car industry by failing to invest in Research and Development.

Now it´s the turn of the car dealers to suffer as much of the middle class abandons the sinking ship.

Edited by Caledonian-Emigre

“As increasingly large numbers of well-educated and affluent car buyers leave the country for good, there will undoubtedly be ramifications for the motor trade.”

LOL. You might think that 'large numbers of well-educated and affluent' people emigrating would have far more serious ramifications than a reduction in car sales...

LOL. You might think that 'large numbers of well-educated and affluent' people emigrating would have far more serious ramifications than a reduction in car sales...

I hear they can't give Pimms away

The motor trade will not see any surges in new car sales from the waves of Polish and eastern europeans. I have it on very good authourity (my polish colleague) that the car market in poland is all used from Germany - new for them is a three year old car!

Our romanian friends tend to travel with horse and cart - so we can expect more traffic chaos :lol:

The motor trade will not see any surges in new car sales from the waves of Polish and eastern europeans. I have it on very good authourity (my polish colleague) that the car market in poland is all used from Germany - new for them is a three year old car!

Our romanian friends tend to travel with horse and cart - so we can expect more traffic chaos :lol:

As long as it gets you from A to B who cares what it looks like.

I hear grass is cheaper than petrol and more tax efficient. :lol:

New car = waste of money

the average age of the cars I have owed is about 20.

can't be rsed to read the article 'cos it sounds like propoganda, but surely unless we are talking 10s of thousands of people, then it isn't going to make the blindest bit of difference

or are we talking about the handful of people who buy a new ferrari every year?

but surely unless we are talking 10s of thousands of people, then it isn't going to make the blindest bit of difference

Canadian immigration alone counts for over ten thousand well-educated and at least moderately affluent people from the UK every year, so the total is certainly well into the tens of thousands when you include all the countries they could move to. I believe the total claimed emigration from the UK is over three hundred thousand a year, though I think that includes short-term immigrants going home (e.g. foreign students who've completed their degree course).

can't be rsed to read the article 'cos it sounds like propoganda, but surely unless we are talking 10s of thousands of people, then it isn't going to make the blindest bit of difference

or are we talking about the handful of people who buy a new ferrari every year?

Recent poll suggests that the number of people looking to emigrate has doubled since 2003. We are talking 100,00's not 10,000's.

Recent poll suggests that the number of people looking to emigrate has doubled since 2003. We are talking 100,00's not 10,000's.

how many of your friends are considering it? I know three families considering it, two are doing it one leaves at Christmas for New Zealand.

Family one - him Dentist her nurse two kids - destination NZ (applying)

Family two - him plumber her nursery school teacher, two kids - destination Oz (have visas)

Family three - him manager at blue chip co - her school teacher,one kid - destination NZ (have visas)

We are thinking of it very seriously - Oz. I run a small business have a young family and think the future prospects here are not good for my kids.

You know there is a great deal of truth in it when you see evidence of it all around you. I am 38 and would say its mid to late thirties and early forties who are doing it.

how many of your friends are considering it? I know three families considering it, two are doing it one leaves at Christmas for New Zealand.

Family two - him plumber her nursery school teacher, two kids - destination Oz (have visas)

Family three - him manager at blue chip co - her school teacher,one kid - destination NZ (have visas)

We are thinking of it very seriously - Oz. I run a small business have a young family and think the future prospects here are not good for my kids.

You know there is a great deal of truth in it when you see evidence of it all around you. I am 38 and would say its mid to late thirties and early forties who are doing it.

There are three of us in my office who are looking at ways of heading out. Two to NZ, myself to Japan. Another friend also looking to head to NZ/Oz. I'm constantly hearing stories of people trying to engineer themselves a way outta here.

Anybody have recent figures on the influx of our antipodean friends? Wouldn't surprise me if we start to see their numbers whittle back a bit. Never did understand their enthusiasm for west London! :blink:

you are right, our house is on market and we intend to rent while applying for visas no future here for our kids.

we seem to pay tax to fund anyone with a begging bowl.i wonder what will happen when all the taxpayers leave?

There are three of us in my office who are looking at ways of heading out. Two to NZ, myself to Japan. Another friend also looking to head to NZ/Oz. I'm constantly hearing stories of people trying to engineer themselves a way outta here.

Anybody have recent figures on the influx of our antipodean friends? Wouldn't surprise me if we start to see their numbers whittle back a bit. Never did understand their enthusiasm for west London!

I know quite a few ozzies as I used to work with some in west London. Essential they get the travelling bug out of the system here and then go back. Or there here earning so they can buy their house with pool back home - mind you we're talking six years ago now.

you are right, our house is on market and we intend to rent while applying for visas no future here for our kids.

we seem to pay tax to fund anyone with a begging bowl.i wonder what will happen when all the taxpayers leave?

I can't persuade the missus to do this, I wish I could. We can't move to oz as my father in law is quite old - when he shuffles off nothing will stop us. Focus now is on paying off the mortgage and saving some money.

Lots of people are talking of going to the English countries, but I think thats silly because their economies will probably move in tandem with any recession here. If there is a downturn here you're best bet would be a trip across to Europe since they are economicly out of sync with us.

Edited by Della

Lots of people are talking of going to the English countries, but I think thats silly because their economies will probably move in tandem with any recession here. If there is a downturn here you're best bet would be a trip accross to Europe since they are economicly out of sync with us.

It's not about avoiding a recession I am old enough to have worked during the last one. There is alwasy work if your willing, my experience has been work hard and your rewarded. People will always pay you to work because they either don't have the skillset or are too lazy to do it themselves.

This country's problem is its short termism (if there is such a word). Its all about have it now, borrowing, debt, with no thought for the future. The government do not ask the question how will this affect us in 20 or 30 years time - integrity in politics does not exsist. I am paying more tax then ever to see a large part of it wasted - if this country was a business it would have been bankcrupt years ago. Couple that with the over zealous PC brigade, multiculturalism(which does not work).

In Oz the outlook is more towards quality of life - you can start earlier 5am or 6 am and finish earlier 2 or 3pm and then off outdoors. Yes there's is downsides but its about quality of life. Here we put up with too much crap - yesterdays news a muslim man lost his case for unfair dismissal that his beard was too long, part of his religion etc. Don't care - IT SHOULD NEVER HAVE GOT TO COURT. Where is the common sense.

I employ Muslim and polish, but I am rascist, they are, we all are - however small - its human nature. Its how you deal with it - you must have some common sense. People often talking about waves of english migrants and how they are received in other countries. Do you think and English speaking person would be given a minutes attention in a court in Pakistan, Iran, Syria, Africa or anywhere to bring a case for racial discrimination? Would not happen in OZ, NZ, Canada,etc because most people emmigrating professionals would not have the front to do this in a foreign country.

That has to be one of the most ammusing things I've read in a long time.

Standing outside the British embassy in Sofia yesterday, Rozalina Boeva admits she wants a better life. After three years she has had enough - of Britain. She is coming home to Bulgaria.

I just hope the poor buggers don't suffer from brit 'investors' buying up houses and driving up prices though.

where did this fact come from?

Even if it's true, many 'Britons who move abroad' are on short-term contracts: I doubt many people who get jobs in Saudi doing oil work plan to stay there, for example.

It's not about avoiding a recession I am old enough to have worked during the last one. There is alwasy work if your willing, my experience has been work hard and your rewarded. People will always pay you to work because they either don't have the skillset or are too lazy to do it themselves.

This country's problem is its short termism (if there is such a word). Its all about have it now, borrowing, debt, with no thought for the future. The government do not ask the question how will this affect us in 20 or 30 years time - integrity in politics does not exsist. I am paying more tax then ever to see a large part of it wasted - if this country was a business it would have been bankcrupt years ago. Couple that with the over zealous PC brigade, multiculturalism(which does not work).

Australia has the same issues, and higher taxes.

In Oz the outlook is more towards quality of life - you can start earlier 5am or 6 am and finish earlier 2 or 3pm and then off outdoors. Yes there's is downsides but its about quality of life.

I have a cousin in Australia, he never goes out because it is too hot and the sun is too intense, he is in fact paler than ever. Supposedly the flies are terrible in some areas too. The sun also sets early in the summer which some complain the miss because they don't get the long summer evenings. Also if you start work at 5 that means you've got to get up between 3 and 4 depending on how long the commute is. I like getting up early, but anything before 5 is just too early.

Here we put up with too much crap - yesterdays news a muslim man lost his case for unfair dismissal that his beard was too long, part of his religion etc. Don't care - IT SHOULD NEVER HAVE GOT TO COURT. Where is the common sense.

I'm afraid you just don't know much about Australia:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/feature/story.cf...jectID=10366986

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/israel...4802736025.html

EDIT:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Cronulla_riots

Edited by Della

Remember most Brits return within six years of moving abroad - the grass isn't always greener.

The grass is not always greener.

If you don't try you will never find out, nothing wrong with moving back at a later date. What have you got to lose?

It's not as if you are pricing yourself out of the UK market at this moment in time.