House Price Crash Forum
mattpascoe

Who Bets On The Worst Consumer Spending Xmas On Record?

Another rate rise(s) before the end of the year, fuel bills rising, car insurance rising, food prices rising, wage rises remain 2% (closer to 1% after tax), house prices running away (real value dropping I hasten to add).

Everyone has credit cards, remortaged house anyone who owes money will feel the pinch, ignorant people who buy buy buy and have everything they need and more on borrowed money.

This Xmas I predict will the one of the worst for high street spending on record, sales will slump IR hikes forces people to think again, people debts running away....

Another rate rise(s) before the end of the year, fuel bills rising, car insurance rising, food prices rising, wage rises remain 2% (closer to 1% after tax), house prices running away (real value dropping I hasten to add).

Everyone has credit cards, remortaged house anyone who owes money will feel the pinch, ignorant people who buy buy buy and have everything they need and more on borrowed money.

This Xmas I predict will the one of the worst for high street spending on record, sales will slump IR hikes forces people to think again, people debts running away....

I agree, all those credit card balances look nice and healthy now they've been consolidated by those lovely people at Ocean Finance :ph34r: , so people will just spend away after reading about the great rises in house prices that will come next year and how great the economy is. :lol:

AFP

I'm guessing this Christmas will be a booming one, as people go for one last blow-out before reality hits them.

Hmmm...always so hard to choose between the two extremes. It all comes down to sentiment and how sensible or stupid people want to be (or have been so far), I reckon. I'm guessing it'll lean more towards the former but I wouldn't bet on it being too terrible. People seem to still be so inclined to spend, spend, spend. Although having said that, the last two Christmases have struck me as being remarkably restrained in comparison to the years before them.

Guest wrongmove

I'm guessing this Christmas will be a booming one, as people go for one last blow-out before reality hits them.

This should be on the cliches thread - it was often stated about this time last year, and the year before....

It's at about this time that I ask myself, who gives a flying **** about the Christmas consumer spending? Sorry.

Those that want to splurge will splurge. Those that want to, but can't afford to, will do so on credit. Those that don't want to won't.

The overall effect on house prices I suspect will be zilch.

This Christmas will probably be the best on record.

The UK consumers will carry on with their debt-fuelled orgies of spending until they overdose themselves to oblivion. :o

I agree, it will be the best ever. The debt will just go up and up for ever. I have no doubt about this. When has M4 ever fallen in the UK?

Calling the stock market is tricky enough and that is supposedly influenced by "the smart money."

You won't find me calling the half-pissed, spending habits of credit-card happy consumers from every social class and income bracket any time soon!

There probably be bringing out the PS3 and Wii just prior to christmas, if the best christmas ever we can just blame that, then when the price of PS3 and Wii fall after christmas blame that for distorting the inflation figures downwards.

Sorted.

Well i've started my shopping already, the bargains in Boots were fantastic, bought a pop idiol karaoke machine reduced from £60 to £10.

Hopefully we'll keep our bill under £500 this year for everything.

Youre having a laugh, Xmas will be bumper, joe public thinks theyre rich cos house prices have kept going up and the press have been telling everyone threat of a crash is now over, interest rates are still low, and we now have a few hundred thousand extra shoppers over last year.

Edited by simon99

I think this Christmas will be a profitable one for shops as many people have now thrown in their hand and adopt a live for today attitude.

Lets face it, would anyone be silly enough to save a single penny full in the knowledge that it will be taken off them by the Gov at the first opportunity.

For so long as this Gov are in power, those who have not got, will live it up and say Fck the future live for today.

Record spending. Inflation will hit this Xmas, the BOE will fail yet again to hit even the false target, let alone curb real inflation and not even pay lip serveice to fianncial stability whilst being forgetful of the exitence of debt, trade deficits etc.

We are well beyond any measure of financial stability and into la la land debt levels of Japan of the late 80's

Foot to the pedal.

Every Christmas we seem to have the worst three weeks of December for a decade, followed by recording spending, borrowing and cash withdrawls in the last few shopping days.