House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest wrongmove

Half Of Properties Will Be Second Homes By 2026

Guest wrongmove

Half of properties will be second homes by 2026

"In three ground breaking speeches at the Property Investor Show (22 – 24 September, ExCeL London), David Lawrenson, of www.lettingfocus.com, will reveal why at least half of all properties in the UK will be second homes or buy-to-let by 2026.

According to Lawrenson, demand in the buy-to-let market will increase due to the following reasons:

* Housing supply will not keep up with housing demand, especially if there is no change in net inward migration.

* People will continue to look increasingly to property as a secure investment, because they see the stock market as too volatile, they’ve been failed by the life companies in the endowment scandal and most importantly of all - they don’t trust the government on pensions.

* As owning a home becomes impossible for those who can’t rely on parents for a leg on to the ladder, they will be forced to rent – thus providing a ready pool of tenants and rising rents.

* People are increasingly attracted to renting as a lifestyle that fits the hire and fire work culture of today. Renting means you can be flexible and move to another area for work much easier than if you are a home owner......"

:wacko:

Guest mattsta1964

"In three ground breaking speeches at the Property Investor Show (22 – 24 September, ExCeL London), David Lawrenson, of www.lettingfocus.com, will reveal why at least half of all properties in the UK will be second homes or buy-to-let by 2026.

According to Lawrenson, demand in the buy-to-let market will increase due to the following reasons:

* Housing supply will not keep up with housing demand, especially if there is no change in net inward migration.

* People will continue to look increasingly to property as a secure investment, because they see the stock market as too volatile, they’ve been failed by the life companies in the endowment scandal and most importantly of all - they don’t trust the government on pensions.

* As owning a home becomes impossible for those who can’t rely on parents for a leg on to the ladder, they will be forced to rent – thus providing a ready pool of tenants and rising rents.

* People are increasingly attracted to renting as a lifestyle that fits the hire and fire work culture of today. Renting means you can be flexible and move to another area for work much easier than if you are a home owner......"

Exactly the reason why I'm selling. I'm a contract engineer and live in surrey. There's no work for engineers in surrey or anywhere within commuting distance so I have to travel round the country to find work. What's the point of owning? I'm worried about rents increasing though. The additional demand and BTL's and ludicrous prices will push up rent, no doubt about it.

Exactly the reason why I'm selling. I'm a contract engineer and live in surrey. There's no work for engineers in surrey or anywhere within commuting distance so I have to travel round the country to find work. What's the point of owning? I'm worried about rents increasing though. The additional demand and BTL's and ludicrous prices will push up rent, no doubt about it.

Dont worry about that. I'm up in sheffield and the rental market is already saturated with rents dropping. Just to add insult to it all, lots more flats will be coming online within the next year!

Wohoo, bring it on

Guest Cletus VanDamme

It could happen. A return to the Victorian housing model.

Guest wrongmove

I agree that rent prices are very important. There are many articles in today's press about the latest RICS survey (for a simple of list of property related news stories, see the excellent Calcaria's post on TMF here: Today's press).

If rents grow faster than prices and IRs, then of course yields will rise, and there seems to be plenty of takers at today's historically low yields - the pension industry has a lot to answer for.

Guest Cletus VanDamme

Or maybe the German one?

Unlikely IMHO. Secure tenures, tenants treated as first-class, not second-class, citizens? It's just not in the UK psyche.

I think hostility between Britons competing for limited resources will reach such a fever pitch that it will break out into violence and threaten the social fabric of the UK long before 2026.

I think hostility between Britons competing for limited resources will reach such a fever pitch that it will break out into violence and threaten the social fabric of the UK long before 2026.

Indeed. Britain will be a vastly different country in 2026... heck, the rate Bush is going we'll have WWIII well before then, and BTL in a nuclear wasteland won't be a particularly profitable endeavour.

Bring it on! :ph34r:

Indeed. Britain will be a vastly different country in 2026... heck, the rate Bush is going we'll have WWIII well before then, and BTL in a nuclear wasteland won't be a particularly profitable endeavour.

Am I the only one who thinks that this would be preferable to continuing with this mess?

...the pension industry has a lot to answer for.

You can thank Gordon Brown for that - he's the one who fu*ked up pensions in his 1st week in office

I pay £390 a month rent in North London (HMO). I guess I would have to live somewhere even if rents went up. Obviously I would be unhappy but I guess if there were no alternatives, I would probably pay up to £600 before thinking about emigrating or moving back to parents. Grim but I am looking at £1200 for a mortgage which is probably out of my reach.