House Price Crash Forum

A Landlords View

HOLA441
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

the worb has a point. The 'juggling' performed by the powers that be to keep this thing in the air has been nothing short of astounding.

All good games come to an end, though.

*smashing sound*

Yeeees... so PG, how much would you have made if the crash had come when it 'should of'?

My guess is you'd now still be grimly trying to sell some of your portfolio, having vainly knocked the price down five times....

The other thing is, is LL really rich, or is that just all on paper, poised to evaporate when the stampede sweeps all those amateurs away?

HOLA443
HOLA444

Great response guys!

Please dont shoot me down just because I dont agree with you - if I did I would have sold up by now. I havent because all the signs that I see look encouraging about future price rises. But I am not talking about new 2 bed city centre flats! They do not figure much in my portfolio, although they will come good in the distant future when every city has a conjestion charge and parking becomes impossible.

Land is a scares commodity - its running out, whilst our need for homes increases due to immigration, divorces, single living. Yes first time buyers are prices out, but banks will find new ways and schemes to make it affordable (50% ownership, interest only, lifetime mortgages). Why? because it is in their interest!

The whole market is evolving, time changes peoples perception of the worth of a property. Let me give you an example: In 2000 I bought a Victorian house which had been converted into 4 flats for £75,000, due to its rental yiled of £15,000 (ie. 5 times rent). There was no way back then that the building was say worth 10 times rent, and the thought of being able to sell the flats individually was hilarious. But 6 years on, you can guess the rest......

House inflation is inevitable. Jump on before its too late, because the longer you leave it, the harder it gets.

HOLA445

House inflation is inevitable. Jump on before its too late, because the longer you leave it, the harder it gets.

House inflation is NOT inevitable!

Look at the graph on the front page of this website.

The housing market is cyclical.

Prices are out of kilter with salaries just now.

Young People are priced out.

When interest rates do rise it could bring a rash of selling and a crash.

I hope you can appreciate this is a possibility.

You might get some professionals like Propertyguru coming back into the market but most (amateur) LL will have ridden the monkey for too long and will get their fingers well burnt.

As a result some will get turned off the idea of being a LL and turn to other forms of investment.