House Price Crash Forum
Pindar

Half Of Properties Will Be Second Homes By 2026

Guest Bart of Darkness
In three ground breaking speeches at the Property Investor Show (22 – 24 September, ExCeL London), David will reveal why at least half of all properties in the UK will be second homes or buy-to-let by 2026.

Hmmmm.....

("David" is property expert David Lawrenson, of www.lettingfocus.com... )

Hmmmm.....

2 years ago I argued we might return to the Victorian model where many more people rented than was the case recently.

Dickens would feel right at home.

Who cares if half of all property will be second homes by 2026.

The fact anyone claims to know such, is hillarious.

Someone should go, and ask him what 'the kids' will be wearing in 2026.

2 years ago I argued we might return to the Victorian model where many more people rented than was the case recently.

Dickens would feel right at home.

I've been saying since about 2000 that we're well on the road to a return to the Victorian model. So many signs of those times are apparent, e.g. Wetherspoons are the new 'Gin Lane' with knobs on. Cheap booze to placate the renting serfs.

It seems that the servant class for the super-rich will consist predominantly of immigrants and ex-chavs (that's after the benefits have been taken away). Most of the productive resourceful people, middle and working class, will emmigrate. That's all unless there's a revolution of course.

Of course its a viscious circle because the more people who try and live off rental income from paid for investment property in 20 years time, the more people will be needed to keep the economy running. I'm sure the article must assume unlimited economic growth and a tide of inward investment and jobs creation to keep the serfs in enough work to pay the rent on all the rental properties. It also assumes that the existing stock of larger properties like detached and houses with more than 3 or 4 bedrooms can become accommodation for workers in the burger bars and windscreen cleaning stations in Britains "thriving" service industry. I can't see how it can possibly stack up and why anybody would want to move to such a country if there's no longer any hope of aspiring to that middle class dream of home ownership much popularised in the 1980's by Thatcher.

Guest pioneer31

Who cares if half of all property will be second homes by 2026.

The fact anyone claims to know such, is hillarious.

Someone should go, and ask him what 'the kids' will be wearing in 2026.

What are the lottery numbers for 2026?

I'd hope that by 2026, there would be some legislation to stop mass ownership of property?

Or am I being optimistic?

What are the lottery numbers for 2026?

I'd hope that by 2026, there would be some legislation to stop mass ownership of property?

Or am I being optimistic?

You're being very optimistic.

It would prevent the banks seizing the property of bad debtors/companies. It would outlaw McDonalds/every business chain for a start.

So I would borrow all the money I could and buy the M6, then toll it.

And if the bank wanted it off me 'cause I never pay my bills, I could tell 'em to see article 101 of the 'they own more than 1 building already act'.

There will never be laws/taxes based on the number of plots you hold.

Edited by ?...!

There's a difference between holding and owning. If you borrow money to buy a house/plot, you do not own it until you have repaid the money you borrowed. Default on the loan agreement, and you stand to lose the property/plot. It doesn't matter what someone else is doing, it's about you, and your ability to keep your side of the deal. Buy something legally outright and it's yours. You can buy 10 cars or 10 houses with your own money and nobody can touch you.

It also assumes that the existing stock of larger properties like detached and houses with more than 3 or 4 bedrooms can become accommodation for workers in the burger bars and windscreen cleaning stations in Britains "thriving" service industry. I can't see how it can possibly stack up and why anybody would want to move to such a country if there's no longer any hope of aspiring to that middle class dream of home ownership much popularised in the 1980's by Thatcher.

The larger properties will be converted into flats and maisonettes - that's already happening.

People would move to such a country in order to escape oppression/unemployment wherever they were previously living...and/or for the higher wages in the UK which they could save up and take back to their original country and buy a property, as many Eastern Europeans are currently doing. i.e. its the relative value of UK wages to the cost of living/cost of property abroad bringing in economic migrants. However, a weakened sterling would reduce the benefit gained.

Guest Cletus VanDamme

No government would allow a situation to develop where the proportion of owner occupation falls, since this is a measure of national prosperity. The propoprtion has always risen, as far as I'm aware.

What are they gonna do, force people to buy?

Could this be for real or is it just VI spin attempting to bolster the flagging BTL market?

http://www.themovechannel.com/News/2006/Au....asp?ito=EC1000

I'm getting deja vu here - we've had this thread already:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=34753

No government would allow a situation to develop where the proportion of owner occupation falls, since this is a measure of national prosperity. The propoprtion has always risen, as far as I'm aware.

so who on earth is going to occupy the myriad BTLs?

especially the 2 bed BTL flats :blink:

How can you possibly believe that the government has control of the situation? :lol: They're in the pockets of the banks and corporations and they're mostly interested in feathering their own nests.

Look at how many huge 'steps backward' have already happened, such as removal of free higher education.

If half the properties in the country are second homes, then logically, every homeowner will have exactly 2 homes. How ridiculous.

Good point.

Except that many of the properties could be owned by British ex-pats or foreign investors.

I would ignore this fictional statistic if I were you, people. Yet another 'prediction' made by clueless gits who merely get a graph of recent data and draw a straight line on the end of it based on its final gradient. :angry: