Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Another Uk Manufacturer Bites The Dust

http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,1862203,00.html

Last year's model: Airfix goes bust
Mark Tran
Thursday August 31, 2006
Guardian Unlimited
Britain's last model-maker, Airfix, today went out of business as its parent manufacturer, Humbrol, called in the administrators.
Following an emergency review of Humbrol, based in Hull, administrators from Grant Thornton made 31 redundancies out of a total workforce of 41.

Every little hurts. :( A lot of happy childhood memories go with it. :(

http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,1862203,00.html

Last year's model: Airfix goes bust
Mark Tran
Thursday August 31, 2006
Guardian Unlimited
Britain's last model-maker, Airfix, today went out of business as its parent manufacturer, Humbrol, called in the administrators.
Following an emergency review of Humbrol, based in Hull, administrators from Grant Thornton made 31 redundancies out of a total workforce of 41.

Every little hurts. :( A lot of happy childhood memories go with it. :(

Sad, but I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

The days of children playing with Airfix kits and Meccano are long gone, I'm afraid. Kids seem to want more passive activities these days.

I think the hobby itself is as healthy as it's ever been although now more of an adult pastime than a kid thing. The Airfix products simply weren't as good as those offered by other manufacturers; Hasegawa, Tamiya, Trumpeter,etc.

Shame, it was a model UK company.

The administrators will obviously spend the next few weeks trying to piece the company together.

Couldn't resist

ha ha ha :D

I loved building badly constructed model planes when I was a nipper. Getting glue all over the wings, some of which melted through the plastic. What did I like doing even more than building them?

Throwing them against the wall and smashing them up :P

Shame, it was a model UK company.

The administrators will obviously spend the next few weeks trying to piece the company together.

Couldn't resist

Kids these days couldn't give a Messerschmidt about proper toys. They'd rather Fokker off with their PSPs and their PS2s to their bedrooms and shut the door for hours on end.

I feel for the employees, they're really stuck now. Time to take up another craft sadly.

Guest mattsta1964

Looks as though they've come unstuck.

20 fokkers came from the left, another 20 from the right, I dived to avoid em

But deese Fokkers were messerschmits! Lol!

The wings have come off this market, for sure. Humbro are gong to have a hull of time making up for this loss. Can they transfer their losses over I wonder? I doubt the rest of their business is HMS Invincible. A Hornet's next has been stirred up, no doubt.

Sad, but I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

The days of children playing with Airfix kits and Meccano are long gone, I'm afraid. Kids seem to want more passive activities these days.

My ghast has truly been flabbered by the news that they are still around (albeit not for much longer). I would have thought that sort of thing bit the dust decades ago. Don't people realise that Playstations, alcohol abuse and joy riding are far more healthy hobbies for modern youngsters.

Does this mean there is no longer a market for polystyrene cement?

I wouldn't adhere to that idea altogether. The market won't come totally unstuck as there is a group that is sticking with cement as an inhalent: young Chavaliers.

Edited by Realistbear

My ghast has truly been flabbered by the news that they are still around (albeit not for much longer). I would have thought that sort of thing bit the dust decades ago. Don't people realise that Playstations, alcohol abuse and joy riding are far more healthy hobbies for modern youngsters.

I did read that glue sniffing was on the decline. This explains Airfix's crash.

That’s it, with this and the loss of HP sauce, Britain is truly done for.

For those wishing to relive their youth while watching the final death throws of Britain, you can still pick them up here.

I need a cup of tea after this news.