House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Sailing Away Into The Sunset

Has anyone else considered this?

Live Worldwide On A Luxury Yacht (link) {BTW no endorsement of this company given. I have friends in Panama that I would approach for contacts for the same services, as they are all legal, normal, and widely offered.}

boat.jpg

Your work needs to be telemobile, and you have to be sociable enough to make friends in unknown climes whenever you pull in (or antisocial enough not to care). To get tax-free Panamanian 2nd residency, there's an expensive option (buy a $150k yacht), where you have to have crew, but you can also take a much cheaper option (taking a little longer to get residency). An absolute cheapo yacht is only about £20k and can be manned solo or by a couple.

index_2.jpg

And it really needn't cost a lot. I know of people who are doing this as a couple on less than £4,000 a year for both. Here's a great link explaining...

The £200 millionaire. (My favourite short story for dreamers about this way of living.)

My wife suffers from dreadful sea sickness :(

What's the situation with living on a river barge?

I think you have to get 12 miles offshore, six months a year to stop paying UK tax. Hard to do in a barge. Maybe up and down the Panama Canal. :lol:

You don't actually have to be at sea, just outside UK territorial waters. So there is nothing to stop you say spending summer in the UK, sailing down to the south of france for autum, wintering somewhere in africa then coming back to say italy for the spring.

The rules on international taxation are complex (and not really my area) however its really only 3 months that you are allowed to spend in the UK if you want to be non-resident.

In principal it is possible to be not resident anywhere in the world and avoid tax as a result. (I'm trying to think what members "not resident on this world" would apply to :D ).

Or you could work offshore.

As for the morality of not paying tax ... well that pales into insignificance compared to the evil of finding ever more oil to guzzle :unsure:

Mark

ps. I think the 6 months outside UK waters, 1 foreign portcall a year is for british seamen/workers offshore,

exemption on residency only is different but I don't know the details

Oh I'd never suggest lolling about aimlessly (unless you need a break). Purpose looms large in life - not always your day job, but the more time you can spend focused on what's important to you at the moment, the better.

One of my main aims in life is to loll purposefully.

The ability to be truly happy in lolling around (and not feel guilty) is a rare accomplishment.

Greetings from Civitavecchia ( the main port for Rome )

Right now I'm working as the Ship's Doctor onboard the Grand Princess cruise ship!

After working for around 5 years as a hospital doctor in Yorkshire I decided that I needed a career break without becoming totally de-skilled so I applied via the shipsdoctors.com website to work on the 'High Seas'. The work is very GP - orientated with the occasional more serious problem & can be quite busy. The kickback is that I get to see the world ( Med until November then Central America until early December. In Monte Carlo tomorrow! ), get to meet loads of interesting people - passengers & crew & get to use all of the ship's facilities ( gym, spa, cinema, shows, bands, multitude of restaurants, incredibly cheap art gallery, bars, golf course, pools, movies under the stars, etc. ).

The contracts for doctors & nurses are 4 months on, 2 months off but are much tougher for other staff - the room stewards do 10 months straight. The money is fantastic - I earn 2.5 times my NHS salary with nothing to spend it on ( accomodation & food is provided, I don't have a car, don't pay bills, don't need gym membership, etc. ). The only real expenditure is on alcohol, however onboard it is $1 for a shot ( 53p ) & there are regular Cambusas on the ports ( drink sales, typically $10 for a large bottle of spirits ). You would need to be an alcoholic to spend much money! There is the opportunity to buy works of art at around half their shoreside price & you pay in dollars which makes it even cheaper! My understanding of the tax situation is that you need to be out of the country for at least 183 days in a 365 day period ( NOT tax year ) initially & then you tax free-period 'rolls-on. Tax is taken off my salary at source & then I claim it back at the end of each tax year. For more details contact the Cardiff tax office & ask for a form IR205.

There are loads of opportunities for all sorts of people on the cruise ships - engineers, electricians, hotel staff, waiters/Maitre D', medics, entertainers, croupiers, bar staff, photographers, lecturers, spa staff, shop assistants, etc. ). The pay is usually better than on land & the lifestyle more care-free.

Hope all this info was useful. Better get back to my sore throats & colds!!

Sleepy.

I think the way to really do it is like the Sealand people up until them having their unfortunate fire.

Perhaps you are aware of the similar, but much more minimal Wave Land http://www.waveland.org/

My wife suffers from dreadful sea sickness :(

What's the situation with living on a river barge?

As Durch warns in his title, you still have to watch out for pirates.

On the canals, they are lazy chav ones, who just wait for you to come along. They are disguised as Fishermen. :D

Perhaps you are aware of the similar, but much more minimal Wave Land http://www.waveland.org/

I wasn't, thanks for the link. Anyone ever read the Rockall Times?

As Durch warns in his title, you still have to watch out for pirates.

On the canals, they are lazy chav ones, who just wait for you to come along. They are disguised as Fishermen. :D

I know someone who sailed around the world. The piracy threat is no joke. He wouldn't have even considered it without this in his inventory. Anyone even considering this, if you can't tool up in the country you start from, make sure you can in the first country you stop at.

I'm more from the "hand over everything with a big grin and a cheery wave" school. :D

I'm usually the same, i'm not going to get stabbed in the street for a bit of cash and some cards I can cancel for instance. Trouble is, on the high seas, they tend to despatch whoever they have attacked, so as leaving no witnesses to the crime. Easy in international waters, hundreds of miles from anywhere. West African coast is especially bad apparently.

Shark food :o

I know someone who sailed around the world. The piracy threat is no joke.

A friend of a friend lives on a yacht in Asia: apparently a .50-caliber Browning machinegun discourages the majority of pirates and is legal so long as it's locked up and sealed by customs when in port.

But yes, from everything I've heard, handing things over will just get you killed to avoid witnesses.

West African coast is especially bad apparently.

I remember reading a while back about some pirates even attacking a big cruise ship off the coast of Africa.

A friend of a friend lives on a yacht in Asia: apparently a .50-caliber Browning machinegun discourages the majority of pirates and is legal so long as it's locked up and sealed by customs when in port.

Wow, that's some serious firepower! Would definitely do the trick.

I remember reading a while back about some pirates even attacking a big cruise ship off the coast of Africa

It wouldn't suprise me. Apparently it's also quite a problem for merchant shipping, according to a soldier I spoke to a while ago who had been guarding shipping.

It certainly wouldn't stop me doing it though. I'd be off at the drop of a hat if I had the money. Sunshine, warm water, cold drinks.

Trouble is, my luck, if I sailed 5 thousand miles, you can guarantee the first beach bar I pull up at, the guy next to me is going to start harping on about how much money he made in property in Paraguay.

Hi Durch My girlfriend and I Did just this. We left the UK 2004 and sailed to the med, had 2 fantastic years cruising the Ballearics, Corsica, Sardinia, South of France. We came back through the Rhone, Soane, Inland Canals and conected with the Seine 100 miles south of Paris. I am a mortgage broker and with rates forecasted to raise through 2004 we thought we would sit the crash out some were warm. Anyway did not factor for the BoE to drop rates last August. So have large deposit for first purchase. Bring on the Crash.2002391353606992997_th.jpg[/url][/img]

Greetings from Civitavecchia ( the main port for Rome )

Right now I'm working as the Ship's Doctor onboard the Grand Princess cruise ship!

After working for around 5 years as a hospital doctor in Yorkshire I decided that I needed a career break without becoming totally de-skilled so I applied via the shipsdoctors.com website to work on the 'High Seas'. The work is very GP - orientated with the occasional more serious problem & can be quite busy. The kickback is that I get to see the world ( Med until November then Central America until early December. In Monte Carlo tomorrow! ), get to meet loads of interesting people - passengers & crew & get to use all of the ship's facilities ( gym, spa, cinema, shows, bands, multitude of restaurants, incredibly cheap art gallery, bars, golf course, pools, movies under the stars, etc. ).

The contracts for doctors & nurses are 4 months on, 2 months off but are much tougher for other staff - the room stewards do 10 months straight. The money is fantastic - I earn 2.5 times my NHS salary with nothing to spend it on ( accomodation & food is provided, I don't have a car, don't pay bills, don't need gym membership, etc. ). The only real expenditure is on alcohol, however onboard it is $1 for a shot ( 53p ) & there are regular Cambusas on the ports ( drink sales, typically $10 for a large bottle of spirits ). You would need to be an alcoholic to spend much money! There is the opportunity to buy works of art at around half their shoreside price & you pay in dollars which makes it even cheaper! My understanding of the tax situation is that you need to be out of the country for at least 183 days in a 365 day period ( NOT tax year ) initially & then you tax free-period 'rolls-on. Tax is taken off my salary at source & then I claim it back at the end of each tax year. For more details contact the Cardiff tax office & ask for a form IR205.

There are loads of opportunities for all sorts of people on the cruise ships - engineers, electricians, hotel staff, waiters/Maitre D', medics, entertainers, croupiers, bar staff, photographers, lecturers, spa staff, shop assistants, etc. ). The pay is usually better than on land & the lifestyle more care-free.

Hope all this info was useful. Better get back to my sore throats & colds!!

Sleepy.

hi there sleepy..

my hubby is a doc as well (GP).

He thought it would be good fun signing up as a ship doctor. However, the free accommodation doesn't include families? And he was told by a reliable source that the work can be consume much of the time onboard. From your post I gather that is not your same experience?

kind regards