House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OnlyMe

Mervo The Clown

50% of breaking the CPI threshold. :lol:

Damned if you do damned if you don't, keep on message and hit the magical ONS numbers or miss them by a country mile - it will make no odds, inflation will make people poorer by the day, people becoming remarkably "unstupid" when they run out of money and realise what has happened in retrospect.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/...2335786,00.html

Norwich Union's car rates to rise by a third

By Christine Seib

ONE in seven motorists will see the cost of their car insurance rise by up to 35 per cent after Britain’s second-largest motor insurer revealed plans to shed unprofitable business.

Simon Machell, the chief executive of Norwich Union Insurance, told The Times that he planned to implement rises ranging from about 6 per cent for valued customers to well over 30 per cent for high-risk drivers such as young men.

The average NU customer will be hit with a 16 per cent increase in premium, a huge rise in the fiercely competitive motor insurance market, where price is considered the most important selling point.

Mr Machell said that NU hoped that other insurers would follow suit to put a stop to the price competition that was ruining the profitability of motor insurance.

http://www.boltoneveningnews.co.uk/news/bo...set_to_rise.php

Bread and pastie prices set to rise

By Nigel McFarlane

The National Association of Master Bakers, which represents about 1,000 small bakeries, expects bread to increase in price by up to 10p a loaf by the end of September

He said: "It is not just the price of flour that is hitting bakers. Production costs are increasing across the board. We have higher energy costs and fuel prices, which raise our distribution prices. And the price of potatoes has increased. Earlier this year, we paid £3.50 for a 25 kilo bag of potatoes, now that has gone up to £6.

Edited by OnlyMe

Mr Mason said NU was “finally having to face the fact that people are shopping around and retention rates are falling”.

No s**t

I've been unhappy with them when making a claim in the past - I'd never go with any of their products again

I originally went with them on price - never again....

No s**t

I've been unhappy with them when making a claim in the past - I'd never go with any of their products again

I originally went with them on price - never again....

I have a small pension with them and the transfer value has been stagnant for 3 years. My other pension, with Scottish Widows has at least gone up by around 5% a year over the same period. :angry:

I went with Churchill insurance this year. 189 pounds fully comprehensive with max NCB on a 1997 Audi A4 1.8SE.

I have a small pension with them and the transfer value has been stagnant for 3 years. My other pension, with Scottish Widows has at least gone up by around 5% a year over the same period. :angry:

This is one of the problems with pensions. Once you take into account REAL inflation your investment is actually falling in value. I think that's why so many people have turned to houses because pensions have performed so badly. The poor performance of endowments has also meant that people don't bother to take them out any more (unfortunately, they still take out the interest only mortgage but without any plan for repaying the capital :( )

As long as other forms of 'investment' are tanking, people will continue to see houses as an investment which makes it a self fulfilling prophecy

I went with Churchill insurance this year. 189 pounds fully comprehensive with max NCB on a 1997 Audi A4 1.8SE.

Well that's something to look forward to when I turn 50 B)