House Price Crash Forum

The Big Papers Saying Crash Is Here!?

HI there!

Mr "positive one day, negative the next" here. Well, at least im passionate! ;)

Im happy today. I am coming away from the idea of buying a house after coming extremely close over the last few weeks. :rolleyes: And it looks like holding back was the right decision!

Why am I happy? Reading a couple of articles from the broadsheets' websites, it seems we are finally on the brink of the crash?! I have not read articles like this for about 18 months when I first found HPC, so are we really here after the false alarm 2 years ago? <_<

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/...2330122,00.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/main.j.../prword2608.xml

After reading these I am happy I didnt dive in when tempted! :D

Deano

Edited by deano_54321
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We must be approaching another MPC meeting

7th September I believe. As I predicted in a previous thread:

0.25% next month to try to slow inflation

Nothing Oct

0.25% Nov when it doesn't work

Nothing in December. Happy Christmas :-)

Although Nov's may move up to Oct, and maybe another .25% in Dec

Edited by RussellF

7th September I believe. As I predicted in a previous thread, up .25% Sept, and agin in Oct, steady in Nov and up .25% in Dec. Happy Christmas :-)

Seriously? Do you think there'll be three rises before te end of the year? Why do you think this? I supposed US have had 3 recent rises in a row compared to our 1 so far.

Are the US expected to rise again before the end of the year?

If your predictions are correct, we will probably see one of the worst Christmas' ever on the high street....

Edited by deano_54321

Seriously? Do you think there'll be three rises before te end of the year? Why do you think this? I supposed US have had 3 recent rises in a row compared to our 1 so far.

Are the US expected to rise again before the end of the year?

If your predictions are correct, we will probably see one of the worst Christmas' ever on the high street....

To paraphrase Brass Eye off of the telly, "It is fact that there will be IR eises before Christmas. There's no proof or evidence for this, but it IS absolute fact" ;-)

I know nothing really about financial matters that I haven't leaned on here (my understanding of stock exchanges is based totally on the movie Trading Places. Seriously!). I know this though:

1) Inflation is rising. I spend £250/month on petrol getting to work. The weekly shop IS more expensive

2) House prices ARE too high

3) People (myself included) are far too happy to be in debt

4) UK PLC is not in a happy state

So, I reckon they have to raise IRs again next month. Things will get worse in the press, tehy'll steel themselves for another raise in Oct, think that'll do it, and then forece people to think about debt at Christmas with another hike, as reality hits and we crash next year :-)

We must be approaching another MPC meeting

:lol::lol::lol:

It seems that yes the US market is heading down pretty quickly.

Is there evidence to suggest that the UK housing market will follow?

Unfortunately not.

If there were evidence we'd all be watching the US and becoming millionaires on the way up and selling at the peak signalled by the yanks on the way down.

There is only your own judgement.

Why am I happy? Reading a couple of articles from the broadsheets' websites, it seems we are finally on the brink of the crash?! I have not read articles like this for about 18 months when I first found HPC, so are we really here after the false alarm 2 years ago?

Deano

Happy?? What's happy about a housing market crash?

Trust me, you don't want a house price crash, I promise you. For both people with or without property.

Can't you see? If houses crashed, it would bring down the whole of UK economy with it!!

Oh yes, there be plenty of cheap houses about. Hell, you could probably buy a couple!! Great your thinking.... err no, not quite...

You see, a broken economy means it's highly likely you won't have a job left and be unemployed. So you see you still can't get on the ladder and now don't have a job at all!!!

Do you still want a housing market crash? Ahh, I thought not.

Let's all prey, it doesn't happen!

Trust me, you don't want a house price crash, I promise you. For both people with or without property.

Can't you see? If houses crashed, it would bring down the whole of UK economy with it!!

Oh yes, there be plenty of cheap houses about. Hell, you could probably buy a couple!! Great your thinking.... err no, not quite...

You see, a broken economy means it's highly likely you won't have a job left and be unemployed. So you see you still can't get on the ladder and now don't have a job at all!!!

We need to have a crash in this country so that the adjustment is made before it takes the entire econonmy with it. The crash will certainly happen at some point, but if it's 10 years down the line it could take 20 or 30 years for the UK to recover.

As for unemployment, surely that is the beauty of having 500,000 Poles crossing our borders every year. When the jobs dry up they go elsewhere and the reduction in jobs does not have the same effect as in the late 80s/early 90s becuase the population adjusts.

Edited by redalert

I pray it does happen, I'll take a level playing field every single time over what I've had to put up with over the last 11 years.

I have no issues with doing "joe jobs" either, so if I lost my job supporting software, I'd have no quarms with heading down to Asda and the like and stacking their shelves, hell, even cleaning the toilets would be better then nothing.

Bring it on, I'm not in the least bit scared.

I spend £250/month on petrol getting to work.

what the hell are you driving? A Hummer H3 with a 50 ton crane behind it????

Seriously, the US and UK property markets show a very large degree of corellation - before xmas the UK papers will be bleating about 'HOUSE PRICES CRASH!!!'

Like it's ferkin news.

I pray it does happen, I'll take a level playing field every single time over what I've had to put up with over the last 11 years.

I have no issues with doing "joe jobs" either, so if I lost my job supporting software, I'd have no quarms with heading down to Asda and the like and stacking their shelves, hell, even cleaning the toilets would be better then nothing.

Bring it on, I'm not in the least bit scared.

So your saying the UK would benefit from a housing crash and mass unemployment and povety?? That stress, worry, pain and despair for thousands of households across the country would be a good thing??????????

Just so you can get on the ladder!! (Best I don't post my comments on that one, I will get chucked off the forum)

Edited by andy75180

7th September I believe. As I predicted in a previous thread:

0.25% next month to try to slow inflation

Nothing Oct

0.25% Nov when it doesn't work

Nothing in December. Happy Christmas :-)

Although Nov's may move up to Oct, and maybe another .25% in Dec

3 rate hikes by Christmas? you must know something the financial markets don't. the bank has placed a great emphasis on making monetary policy boring, admittedly they did sex it up slightly catching the market unaware with the latest hike, but raising rates 75bps with markets firmly pricing a single 25bp hike by year end, does not fit with their style or intentions. policy makers do not want the housing market to crash, they do not want the already injured consumer to get crippled and as such i firmly believe they will be happy to ride out higher prices in the shorter term.

Im happy today. I am coming away from the idea of buying a house after coming extremely close over the last few weeks. :rolleyes: And it looks like holding back was the right decision!

I've been the same as you and very nearly came close to it as well over the last few weeks. I'm now holding back as well. Having rented for many years I just wished to better my life, but another year won't hurt and hopefully it will have been the right move.

Edited by Ade

Having rented for many years I just wished to better my life, but another year won't hurt and hopefully it will have been the right move.

Yes, there is nothing wrong with renting. But only for short term of course. Just make sure your not still renting when your 65, or else you won't ever retire.

So your saying the UK would benefit from a housing crash and mass unemployment and povety?? That stress, worry, pain and despair for thousands of households across the country would be a good thing??????????

Just so you can get on the ladder!! (Best I don't post my comments on that one, I will get chucked off the forum)

Don't get the hump with me pal, This is all Gordon Brown's doing.

The blame for the coming economic disaster can only be laid squarely at his feet, the only benefit being him losing his job or never making it to number 10.

Bring it on.

Whether it will cause more or less stress, worry, pain and despair for HUNDRED'S of thousands of households is neither here nor there.

A HPC will happen and all the bleating and whining in the world won't make a jot of difference.

Edited by CrashDive

Don't get the hump with me pal, This is all Gordon Brown's doing.

The blame for the coming economic disaster can only be laid squarely at his feet, the only benefit being him losing his job or never making it to number 10.

Bring it on.

I don't have the hump with you, it's just looking around this forum I see time and time again people praising a crash, but without thinking what the real consqeunces will be.

A housing crash will benefit no-one, those on or off the property ladder. People cannot see that. I know what they are thinking...

'I can't wait for the crash to happen. Cheap houses bring it on, I get one.. or maybe two. I can then be smug at all the others falling like flies getting repossesed. I can then have satifaction I was right in holding off.'

But the reality of it is, if this did happen, buying property would be the last thing on their minds.

An econmic collapse is nothing to be wished for. Huge numbers unemployed. People have to make a living somehow?

Muggings, burglerys, robberies, crime soaring... Isn't the problem bad enough already???

So please anyone reading this post, THINK before you wish for a housing crash, because I promise you'll be a lot worst off than you are now if it does.

Of course the world econemy will collapse one day (hopefully not in our lifetime). How can any country thrive when oil costs $200 a barrel, which it will one day??

I am saying exactly that, I want to see a housing crash, and guess what i am a homeowner too. and if the mass unemployment and povety?? That stress, worry, pain and despair for thousands of households across the country happens, then so be it,

it is all the governments fault , and silly people too. I am sick of hearing from people , even now, that there house will be worth 15% more next year, and will never go down.

I have 3 friends that have each just bought , i have tried to warn them, but they think i am a dickhead for saying such rubbish as "house prices will come down" , and so far they have been right.

And there are times I have thought it might never happen.

But i get the feeling it is happening now,

I can hardly wait

Edited by James Toney

I am saying exactly that, I want to see a housing crash, and guess what i am a homeowner too. and if the mass unemployment and povety?? That stress, worry, pain and despair for thousands of households across the country happens, then so be it,

it is all the governments fault , and silly people too. I am sick of hearing from people , even now, that there house will be worth 15% more next year, and will never go down.

I have 3 friends that have each just bought , i have tried to warn them, but they think i am a dickhead for saying such rubbish as "house prices will come down" , and so far they have been right.

And there are times I have thought it might never happen.

But i get the feeling it is happening now,

I can hardly wait

I too am a homeowner, and care little if it goes up or down. But we want a gradual increase or decrease, nothing too sudden.

Your 3 friends have done the right thing by buying. Investing in property is a long term investment, not a short term one. If they can ride out any dips they will be fine.

Let's hope the thousands of unemployed don't start a riot down your road then. Oh dear, your house and car insurance won't cover you for that sort of damage. Still want a crash? Yet again, as I explained before, this is an example of people not thinking before they wish. Careful what you wish for....

I don't have the hump with you, it's just looking around this forum I see time and time again people praising a crash, but without thinking what the real consqeunces will be.

A housing crash will benefit no-one, those on or off the property ladder. People cannot see that. I know what they are thinking...

'I can't wait for the crash to happen. Cheap houses bring it on, I get one.. or maybe two. I can then be smug at all the others falling like flies getting repossesed. I can then have satifaction I was right in holding off.'

But the reality of it is, if this did happen, buying property would be the last thing on their minds.

An econmic collapse is nothing to be wished for. Huge numbers unemployed. People have to make a living somehow?

Muggings, burglerys, robberies, crime soaring... Isn't the problem bad enough already???

So please anyone reading this post, THINK before you wish for a housing crash, because I promise you'll be a lot worst off than you are now if it does.

Of course the world econemy will collapse one day (hopefully not in our lifetime). How can any country thrive when oil costs $200 a barrel, which it will one day??

So we carry on as we are then, have's and have not's?

Hopefully this will make you see how unfair the system is.

I am 31, and living at home.

I earn twice the average wage + a bit more.

I have cash, ISA's, saver plans just under £100k.

A pokey TWO bed flat in my home town will cost me over HALF my monthly income in mortgage payments alone.

I don't sound to badly off do I? Think of the millions and millions of people in worse situation then me.

I agree a correction in house prices would be bad for the UK, but I've sat here for eleven years when I should be out living my life, but I'm stuck at home with my parents because at some point I want a place of my own, at a sensible cost.

New posters that go to the trouble of indicating they are neither bull or bear. hmmm <_<

The three settings should be bull, bear and troll. :P

What made you two chaps decide to join HPC may l ask? (Welcome to the forum btw, may your stay be fruitful and enlightening)

The present situation is unsustainable and any attempts to postpone the inevitable will severely exacerbate the ultimate result. If you are so concerned about the social impacts of an HPC you should have diverted your efforts much earlier to address the political short termist agenda that has led us to this precarious scenario.