House Price Crash Forum
echapps

Sw Tourism Down 20% Yo Y

According to a Cornish radio station, the Westcountry economy is suffering in Summer 06. The reason cited for lower number this year? Apparently the grockles have less disposable income these days.

Make of that what you will. If anyone can find a link to a press release that resulted in this article, I'd appreciate seeing it.

Bournemouth and Poole are having a bit of a shocker too, I think -- it's been really quiet this summer, even during the Bank Holiday weekend. But it looks as though there are fewer people around. I had assumed that more people had decided to go abroad, although that would be a little surprising given the very hot start to the summer. I suppose some might just be staying at home if money is tight.

BE

Guest Shedfish

amazing that bank holiday was quiet, with the recent terror alerts presumably meaning more people stayed in the UK than usual. wonder where they all went... certainly not the dentist

amazing that bank holiday was quiet, with the recent terror alerts presumably meaning more people stayed in the UK than usual. wonder where they all went... certainly not the dentist

I think that certainly, in Cornwall's case, people are getting a bit hacked off with spending the first day of their holidays admiring Roach Foods and the abbatoir from the comfort of a traffic jam on the A30 outside Bodmin.

Guest X-QUORK

I called a Surf school (down in Cornwall) to ask about lessons next week and they told me it's very quiet at the moment so no problem. Obviously it's no longer the holiday season, but I got the impression that it was even quieter than usual for this time of year.

Suits me, less people to laugh at me as I try to get up on that surfboard.

I think that certainly, in Cornwall's case, people are getting a bit hacked off with spending the first day of their holidays admiring Roach Foods and the abbatoir from the comfort of a traffic jam on the A30 outside Bodmin.

In cornwall tourists are called emmets not grockles. Its up here in Devon that we call the tourists grockles.

Emmets derives from the old cornish language meaning ants - because the tourists are like ants in the summer.

I know what you mean about the traffic - I dont know why people bother for bank holiday weekends - traiffc is absolute hell and gets worse every year. The improvements to the roads just get filled up as more and more cars use them...

FYI I know wot I am talking about as I am a NON-Emmet.

I'm having this discussion on www.cornwall24.co.uk at the moment. However, the anecdotal evidence seems to suggest the opposite. Any chance of a source from someone?

Seemed just as busy as last year where I was over the summer (form Lands End to Lizard)

CS