House Price Crash Forum
Smell the Fear

Business Leaders Seek 'unlimited Immigration' From New Eu States

"The leaders of Britain's biggest businesses employing millions of people have called on the Government to allow unlimited immigration from Bulgaria and Romania when the two former Eastern Bloc states join the European Union next year.

They said any break in the "open door" policy that has seen hundreds of thousands of migrants from Poland and other eastern European countries come to Britain would be a major mistake. The business leaders have put their names to a statement issued by the Business for New Europe Group (BNEG), a pressure group calling for further integration.

Their support for a continued influx of workers will create a fresh headache for the Government, which is struggling to contain a political rebellion, and threatens to split the business community.

Five of the group's advisory council, including the UK heads of Sainsbury, the supermarket giant, Centrica, which owns British Gas, and Merrill Lynch, the Wall Street investment bank, have put their names to the letter."

Independent

At least the motives for mass immigration are now being openly discussed - wage depression is the aim, and given Gordon's latest calls for restraint, it looks like everyone will be welcome.

I think this is a very good idea. We should have unlimited potential migration from the EU states. It will do our country and economy no end of good and it will plug our huge skills gaps.

I'd happily let 2 or 3 million in from Europe. Most would settle in London and we could set about building the city of the future right here right now. London's booming now with supercharged economic growth, and it can easily accommodate another million people in the next 10 years - in fact London is already growing by 1000 people per day, or 30,000 people each month, yes, a bit scary when you break it down like that, but we'll cope!

And we are a crowded island, but Japan is the same size of us and has twice the population - we just build vertically like there or in Hong Kong - simple.

Business leaders seek 'unlimited immigration' from new EU states

By Philip Thornton, Economics Correspondent
Published: 30 August 2006
The leaders of Britain's biggest businesses employing millions of people have called on the Government to allow unlimited immigration from Bulgaria and Romania when the two former Eastern Bloc states join the European Union next year.
Bulgaria and Romania when the two former Eastern Bloc states join the European Union next year.

This seems like a logical way to perpetuate the Miracle Economy. As there is no such thing as economic perpetual motion even a miracle economy needs constant fodder to keep it moving. Gordon's promise of HPI-MEW without a consequential bust requires fuel in ever greater quantities to keep it rolling. Immigration is the short answer to the problem. Keep HPI and MEW going by creating ever greater demand through sheer numbers of house buyers and renters.

There is a downside however................................. :o

There is a downside however................................. :o

i can't think of one?

Guest mattsta1964

I think this is a very good idea. We should have unlimited potential migration from the EU states. It will do our country and economy no end of good and it will plug our huge skills gaps.

I'd happily let 2 or 3 million in from Europe. Most would settle in London and we could set about building the city of the future right here right now. London's booming now with supercharged economic growth, and it can easily accommodate another million people in the next 10 years - in fact London is already growing by 1000 people per day, or 30,000 people each month, yes, a bit scary when you break it down like that, but we'll cope!

And we are a crowded island, but Japan is the same size of us and has twice the population - we just build vertically like there or in Hong Kong - simple.

It'll only work if these people can be supported without individuals, companies and the state going into more debt, which will just propel us even deeper into a black hole. I don't think this can be achieved but the government will allow an open door immigration policy because it has absolutely no choice anymore. Our economy would already be in serious trouble without the influx from Eastern Europe. The debt monster must be fed and an open door immigration policy is the only way left to do it.

i can't think of one?

It's the point where we are all standing next to each other because we can't fit any more people onto the island :lol:

Where would you put this people in London, there is not the space for another million let alone two ? Are you being serious if so you will answer the question ? Are you just talking rubbish ?

That is a good idea the government has such a good track record doing that - it would be like making Sven manager again.

The reason why British Gas and Sainsburys want more people is to have more customers not because it will make our life and better.

Please explain the benfits to an British Tax paying national who has three children to support?.

I can currently go to london, get a handjob from a polish girl for less than 5 quid, walk no further than ten feet each time I need a cup of Latte, and 20ft for a Baguette, the Bogs are all demolished so no need for bog cleaners.

What are these people going to do, other than get in my way, irritate the hell out of me, and reduce the money in my paypacket, and make me wait in a Q in my own country for a train.?.

I would like to know Cuckoos Answer

Where would you put this people in London, there is not the space for another million let alone two ?

Space isn't the problem, as you can always build upwards. The real problem is that our antiquated and crumbling infrastructure simply cannot support another million people in the South-East: it's been run down for decades and would cost vast amounts to repair and improve to that level.

Space isn't the problem, as you can always build upwards. The real problem is that our antiquated and crumbling infrastructure simply cannot support another million people in the South-East: it's been run down for decades and would cost vast amounts to repair and improve to that level.

It is possible to build upwards but bearing in mind that the government's record in that area (how many tower blocks have been knocked down in the last few years, probably not a good idea). Also why should people living in the UK have to live in tower blocks so we can have more immigrants here ? I am not anti some immigration but I would rather not pay that price.

Unless I can derive any benefit from having to compete with millions of immigrants on housing, wages and public services, then for me the Gov can shove this one where the sun dont shine.

And if they go ahead with it, as it appears they will, then I'm afraid they will be digging Enoch up soon and making a public apology.

Unless I can derive any benefit from having to compete with millions of immigrants on housing, wages and public services, then for me the Gov can shove this one where the sun dont shine.

And if they go ahead with it, as it appears they will, then I'm afraid they will be digging Enoch up soon and making a public apology.

Fear of change and xenophobia. Generally results from a low intellect. The problem I have with people like this is not really their politics. They are just so goddam dumb. And dumbness is irritating.

Fear of change and xenophobia. Generally results from a low intellect. The problem I have with people like this is not really their politics. They are just so goddam dumb. And dumbness is irritating.

Are Business leaders ready to pay higher taxes so our infrastructure can be upto to date or will the working people pay for it out of their income tax.

Well someone with your exceptional intellect will be able to explain in simple laymans terms why immigration is going the benefit the taxpaying population...............?

There is now a lot of money going into infrastructure improvements. Next year it will be faster to get to and there will be more frequent trains to Paris than there are now to Cardiff or Leeds when the new Eurostar opens, and Crossrail will be built , adding several hundred thousand capacity to the tube. There are a whole host of other improvements going on , such as the East / South London line extensions , the new Heathrow cross london light rail, and others.

What a lot of non Londoners don't realise (as they're too busy trying to do it down) is that London is now king city of Europe , it has ben for many years, and inevitably is going to continue to change as borders become more free and we continue to entrench our position as the centre for commerce and culture. This will attract hundreds of thousands, possibly millions more Europeans to the City and is a cause for celebration.

There will be growing pains, sure, but by 2025 we will have a city that has more in common with New York in the way people live. Yes you will pay for natural light, you will have a tiny kitchen. And there will be a new generation of multi storey apartment blocks which will be high density, but with improved design and environmental awareness and awafrom the 60's council ghetttos. Welcome to the future guys!

The simple fact is this.

The quest to mix up the worlds populations into one huge mass of chaos is the very reason the UK is being sucked into tribal conflicts that are being played out across the world, costing us vast amounts of money, costing us our civil rights, costing the armed forces lives.

We are not the policemen of the world, for Gods sake we cannot even police our own streets with the numbers we have today.

Bringing in more lawless people from war torn nations is a recipe for disaster, not unlike a Politically Correct Zoo Keeper who decides to mix all the animals up in one pen, Lions with Chimps, Tigers with Elephants,Cats with Wolves, because he decides they would be happier in a diverse community.

Well someone with your exceptional intellect will be able to explain in simple laymans terms why immigration is going the benefit the taxpaying population...............?

The BBC seem happy at the moment to keep trotting out the party line that imigration is keeping your mortgage payments down, as without immigration, interest rates would be much higher

There is now a lot of money going into infrastructure improvements. Next year it will be faster to get to and there will be more frequent trains to Paris than there are now to Cardiff or Leeds when the new Eurostar opens, and Crossrail will be built , adding several hundred thousand capacity to the tube. There are a whole host of other improvements going on , such as the East / South London line extensions , the new Heathrow cross london light rail, and others.

What a lot of non Londoners don't realise (as they're too busy trying to do it down) is that London is now king city of Europe , it has ben for many years, and inevitably is going to continue to change as borders become more free and we continue to entrench our position as the centre for commerce and culture. This will attract hundreds of thousands, possibly millions more Europeans to the City and is a cause for celebration.

There will be growing pains, sure, but by 2025 we will have a city that has more in common with New York in the way people live. Yes you will pay for natural light, you will have a tiny kitchen. And there will be a new generation of multi storey apartment blocks which will be high density, but with improved design and environmental awareness and awafrom the 60's council ghetttos. Welcome to the future guys!

Thanks, do Specsavers now do rose coloured spectacles on prescription ?.

In the wake of a gang fight at the weekend which led to one death and numerous injuries BBC News Online's Chris Summers looks at the damage the Turkish and Kurdish "mafia" are doing to their community.

Err, because most of them, like my greek doctor and polish cleaner, are registered for and pay tax in the uk.

Ummm, because they pay tax? Because they are not lazy, benefit grabbing whiners? Because they spend the money they earn thus expanding the economy? Because they ARE prepared to clean loos (the loo cleaner outside my office right now is from Eastern Europe), because they are, as a rule, better educated than the majority of our 'GCSE Geniuses', because, because, because.....

Next year it will be faster to get to and there will be more frequent trains to Paris than there are now to Cardiff or Leeds when the new Eurostar opens, and Crossrail will be built , adding several hundred thousand capacity to the tube.

Meanwhile, we can't get a reliable water or electricity supply... and your own point merely goes to demonstrate how poor the rail infrastructure is in this country. It's faster to travel to another country than to travel between British cities.

Ummm, because they pay tax?

Which doesn't even begin to cover the extra welfare payments to the British people who used to do those jobs and were laid off to be replaced by cheaper immigrants.

Because they ARE prepared to clean loos

So are British people, if you pay them enough. Mass immigration is purely and simply an attempt to lower wages in the UK: it serves no other purpose.

Edited by MarkG

We don't have to pay exorbitant amounts for a bit of plumbing?

Err, because most of them, like my greek doctor and polish cleaner, are registered for and pay tax in the uk

Ok, thats great, but I can get them cheaper than that.

I know some children in India who would work in our factories for around 1p per hour, they would happily pull carts of people around barefooted just to lick our shoes clean.

I can see where you are coming from, you can sit at the top of the tree firing orders down to Svelt Model Like blonde bog cleaners on the basis they will work their arses off for next to nothing.

You have a strange idea of progress, maybe you are living in the dark ages, maybe you had a difficult childhood and can think of nothing other than trying to climb to the top of the tree no matter what it takes. The lowering of standards in the UK is a direct result of immigration, business has no need to train, it just cherry picks from the worlds resources.

Well for me, the Business vote is very small, I dont give a rats **** what business thinks. They are charged with making a profit, we are charged with making sure they dont exploit the natives.

I'm a lefty - and my girlfriend is the daughter of immigrants. But I'm with Laurejon on this one.

The OP should make it clear that the only people who will benefit from this are at the top echelons.

It's not the immigrants who are buying up all the decent family housing stock round my way - its BTL's and developers who are turning them into flats.

Yes, it is also a question of infrastructure. I have been in London for less than 2 years, but it seems to me that the city can barely support the people here already (housing, transport, utilities, the economically inactive etc etc) and the tension often shows itself. Or perhaps these are just my country ways displaying themselves.