House Price Crash Forum

Raving Through The Recession

HOLA441
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I don't know if you HPC Ravers look at myspace.com, great for listening to up-and-coming music. Just find your favorite artist, and look at all the wanna be people trying to get their songs spotted.

I'll start you off with P Diddy: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=54228937

Some good shit out there.

Oh dear.

HOLA443
HOLA444

I was completely out of my mind on E during the late 80's and early 90's. Still bosh the occasional gurner now and again. Nothing like knocking up a few boxes at the weekend.

:blink:

I wouldn't read to deeply into this either. Free parties have never gone away and if they are growing in popularity it's probably as a backlash against the wall to wall indie rock we're currently being subjected to.

That takes me back, if it wasn't for those days I'd be twice as intelligent as I am now. Fantazia, Universe, Tribal Gathering, Sumo's, Verbeer Manor, Lakota, Plymouth Warehouse, Dance Academy to name a few!! Should have been saving for a deposit on a house instead of ruining my brain!!

HOLA445

That takes me back, if it wasn't for those days I'd be twice as intelligent as I am now. Fantazia, Universe, Tribal Gathering, Sumo's, Verbeer Manor, Lakota, Plymouth Warehouse, Dance Academy to name a few!! Should have been saving for a deposit on a house instead of ruining my brain!!

that would have been difficult as the jobs were so hard to come by,anyone who was 18-25 at the time would have been on the dole anyway!!!!

Raindance,helter skelter and dreamscape were the ******,and anyone from SE remember the exodus illegals......they were quality with about 10k people stomping away in a disused quarry!!!!!

that would have been difficult as the jobs were so hard to come by,anyone who was 18-25 at the time would have been on the dole anyway!!!!

Raindance,helter skelter and dreamscape were the ******,and anyone from SE remember the exodus illegals......they were quality with about 10k people stomping away in a disused quarry!!!!!...they got so big even the grauniad had articles on them!!!

HOLA446

This is a bit of a revelation.

Looks like we all have something in common, casualties of the early '90s rave scene. That explains a lot, doesn't it?

I too was caught up in the illegal party scene starting in the warehouses of North London back in '86. That IMO was the transition year between soul/funk parties and acid house.

Never really fell for it all. The morning always did my head in, seeing the grim reality of twelve hours class A drug abuse taking its toll.

I really did enjoy those dutch barrels!

I recently found a tape of TOP BUZZ that I had forgotten about for 14 years, MC mad P indeed!

Music? not sure these days.

If you want to listen to it all again check out the mix section of this site: http://hardcorewillneverdie.com/Flash/newframe.html

Edited by dom

HOLA447

Yes, they are. But you need to do ten of them to get the same effect.

So I'm told. :wacko:

Interesting point. In my view, they are not quite as strong but they are a damn site cheaper. I find this interesting - it is pure/supply demand without any govt intervention - and guess what - the price goes down!! Must be worth an economics thesis.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Raindance,helter skelter and dreamscape were the ******,and anyone from SE remember the exodus illegals......they were quality with about 10k people stomping away in a disused quarry!!!!!

Raindance,helter skelter and dreamscape were the ******,and anyone from SE remember the exodus illegals......they were quality with about 10k people stomping away in a disused quarry!!!!!...they got so big even the grauniad had articles on them!!!

Ahhhhhhhh, Exodus, meet in Tescos car park, huge convoys blocking the roads of luton/dunstable, break in to a warehouse, quick! everyone in before the coppers get here, when they do, there is 2000 people hissing and booing them and they leave pretty quick....ahhhhhhhh

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

For the legal warwhouse parties it was Rezerection in Edinburgh that did it for me. Otherwise it was word of mouth, land line calls (no mobiles at the time FFS) and driving about in a convoy for ages until you got to the place and then you had to wait in your motor wile they set up the sound system in an Uncle Johns abandoned warehouse. By that time you had necked the pills in the car listening to the essential with Pete Wrong and had half a can of Kestral left. That was until they finally open the warehouse doors and E, K, and blow was in abundance allong woth the expensive dodgy bar.

Mish mash :blink:

HOLA4412

For the legal warwhouse parties it was Rezerection in Edinburgh that did it for me. Otherwise it was word of mouth, land line calls (no mobiles at the time FFS) and driving about in a convoy for ages until you got to the place and then you had to wait in your motor wile they set up the sound system in an Uncle Johns abandoned warehouse. By that time you had necked the pills in the car listening to the essential with Pete Wrong and had half a can of Kestral left. That was until they finally open the warehouse doors and E, K, and blow was in abundance allong woth the expensive dodgy bar.

HOLA4413

I've been predicting for several years that art, music and youth culture would change as we entered a recessionary phase. Back in the early 90s recession illegal raves and free festivals led the way. I've been wondering when those branded urban kids would start leaving Lloyds Bars alone and start raving, and when those American-themed emo kids would start getting matted hair and anarcho-punk tshirts.

The early 90’s were all about grunge for me B)

(I just wanted to add that as i saw the best gig of my life this weekend!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSS2NYyryoU

HOLA4414

For the legal warwhouse parties it was Rezerection in Edinburgh that did it for me. Otherwise it was word of mouth, land line calls (no mobiles at the time FFS) and driving about in a convoy for ages until you got to the place and then you had to wait in your motor wile they set up the sound system in an Uncle Johns abandoned warehouse. By that time you had necked the pills in the car listening to the essential with Pete Wrong and had half a can of Kestral left.

Err, that's brought back too much, Kestral was evil, do they still "brew" that shit?

HOLA4415

I still listen to my Bass Generator tapes.

HOLA4416

I still listen to my Bass Generator tapes.

What about Sasha et al? Is he still alive? He tried to pull my ex gf one night FFS the cheeky ******.

Err, that's brought back too much, Kestral was evil, do they still "brew" that shit?

Dunno mate, only drank it occassenally as a skint student. :(

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Ahhhhhhhh, Exodus, meet in Tescos car park, huge convoys blocking the roads of luton/dunstable, break in to a warehouse, quick! everyone in before the coppers get here, when they do, there is 2000 people hissing and booing them and they leave pretty quick....ahhhhhhhh

Exodus, started going to them back in the winter of 91/92?. The first one was in a warehouse on a bloody freezing night, the warehouse only had half a roof and there were many bonfires lit inside by the morning! My snot was full of soot the day after. I carried on going to them on and off until 1997, lost count of how many I attended, I too remember the sand quarry, it was 30+ degrees the next day, didnt leave until 2 pm and everyone got very burnt as there was no shade at all, it was like being in the middle of a desert! Also went to one in a forest clearing, that was a top weekend, anyone else ever go back to the farm that they lived on near charlton by Luton?

I have always thought that when a recession comes, then hopefully the youth will reject the chavvy/bling/poncey clubs and dosome DIY entertainment. Its no co incidence that punk and the acid house/rave scene were both bourne out of a country in severe recession and mass unemployment.

In more recent times I attended paries called Wiggle in South London, resident Djs were usually "Evil" Eddie Richards and Terry Francis. I can only describe these as parties where acid house never died, in both the spirit and the music and by the amounts of class A being consumed! The music press term it as "tech house" I just think of it as very quality house music with a definete trippy edge, check out this link if you are a fan of house/funky techno.

http://www.swagrecords.us/swagforum/viewfo...561530576acb5a7

Never realised how many ex acid house queens were on here!

Edited by stalledFTB

HOLA4420

YUP I REMEMBER THAT ONE!!!

The fuzz tried to shut it down by nicking the organizers so the ravers got their own back leading the convoy into luton and having a bit of a party outside luton police station....about 2000 of them!!!!!

HOLA4421

1996??

You're not one of those people who consider Norman "Fatboy Slim" Cook a godfather of house are you? :lol::lol::lol:

Rewind another 8 years please

and what was wrong with 1996 ?

1996 is a classic vintage in my opinion, and yes i was around in 1988, but obviously i dont think you were stood anywhere near me and people like the Chemicial Bros, Underworld and the whole Mowax / Skint / Ninja tune scenes as well as thoses still standing strong from "back in the day" such as Carl cox, Prodigy etc.

in my opinon 1996 provided more quality music than some of the toot i listened/bought in 1988

by the way.....everybody knows Frankie knuckles is the "Godfather of House"

Edited by Disillusioned ftb

HOLA4422

and what was wrong with 1996 ?

1996 is a classic vintage in my opinion, and yes i was around in 1988, but obviously i dont think you were stood anywhere near me and people like the Chemicial Bros, Underworld and the whole Mowax / Skint / Ninja tune scenes as well as thoses still standing strong from "back in the day" such as Carl cox, Prodigy etc.

in my opinon 1996 provided more quality music than some of the toot i listened/bought in 1988

by the way.....everybody knows Frankie knuckles is the "Godfather of House"

Sorry, but I do not even call Chemical brotheres/skint/big beat et all house at all. This music just reminds me of when the white middle class indie kids realised that acid house was a force to be reckoned with and created their own watered down version for the students of mid 90s ex polytecnics.

This was the phase from the underground to the hideous Brit pop era that so represented the wannabee cool britannia of NuLab and that pr1k Noel gallager having champers with BLiar at No 10.

Acid house will never die

HOLA4423

Sorry, but I do not even call Chemical brotheres/skint/big beat et all house at all. This music just reminds me of when the white middle class indie kids realised that acid house was a force to be reckoned with and created their own watered down version for the students of mid 90s ex polytecnics.

This was the phase from the underground to the hideous Brit pop era that so represented the wannabee cool britannia of NuLab and that pr1k Noel gallager having champers with BLiar at No 10.

Acid house will never die

too right,now get down to your local ritzy's and dance away to "M-beat&general levy" while the rest of us true to the cause take the piss out of you.

.....your name's not down,your not comin in!!!....there's another blast from the past!!!

....so what's it to be????....BIG D cameron(complete with hoodie!) slammin it in the slammer with so solid cru?!!!....they are sooooo out!!!!!(somebody ought to tell them politicians it ain't hip when your dad tries to act your age,and they are just as embarrasing!!)

Edited by oracle

HOLA4424

too right,now get down to your local ritzy's and dance away to "M-beat&general levy" while the rest of us true to the cause take the piss out of you.

.....your name's not down,your not comin in!!!....there's another blast from the past!!!

....so what's it to be????....BIG D cameron slammin it in the slammer with so solid cru?!!!....they are sooooo out!!!!!(somebody ought to tell them politicians it ain't hip when your dad tries to act your age,and they are just as embarrasing!!)

time... for Trumpton

HOLA4425

time... for Trumpton

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

class!!!!!!!

everybody's freeeeeee.........to feel good!!!! :)

how yah feelin chicago's masseeeeve????

hands in the air!!!!

lighter...lighter...oh no sorry don't do that we have health and safety regulations to consider!!

Edited by oracle