House Price Crash Forum
CrashedOutAndBurned

Raving Through The Recession

I've been predicting for several years that art, music and youth culture would change as we entered a recessionary phase. Back in the early 90s recession illegal raves and free festivals led the way. I've been wondering when those branded urban kids would start leaving Lloyds Bars alone and start raving, and when those American-themed emo kids would start getting matted hair and anarcho-punk tshirts.

Why? Because these forms of entertainment are cheap and easy to put on. Truck with big PA hanging off the back. People. Off you go. With so many young people unemployed or under employed, the idea of spending your meagre wages getting sloshed at a bland superclubs or Wetherspoons becomes despressingly crap.

Already my predictation seems to be coming true.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5296026.stm

My next prediction is that if the State cracks down too hard on emerging recessionary counter cultures there's going to be a massive amount of civil unrest. Young people have it miles worse than people their age in the 70s, 80s and 90s but there's been barely a riot during the noughties (just one incredibly peaceful anti-war march of 1.5million that the State brushed off like some gnat). Heck, old codgers moaning about their pensions have been putting better demos than the young. Just wait until someone lights the fuse.

Edited by CrashedOutAndBurned

I've been predicting for several years that art, music and youth culture would change as we entered a recessionary phase. Back in the early 90s recession illegal raves and free festivals led the way. I've been wondering when those branded urban kids would start leaving Lloyds Bars alone and start raving, and when those American-themed emo kids would start getting matted hair and anarcho-punk tshirts.

Why? Because these forms of entertainment are cheap and easy to put on. Truck with big PA hanging off the back. People. Off you go. With so many young people unemployed or under employed, the idea of spending your meagre wages getting sloshed at a bland superclubs or Wetherspoons becomes despressingly crap.

Already my predictation seems to be coming true.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5296026.stm

My next prediction is that if the State cracks down too hard to emerging recessionary counter cultures there's going to be a massive amount of civil unrest. Young people have it miles worse than people their age in the 70s, 80s and 90s but there's been barely a riot during the noughties (just one incredibly peaceful anti-war march of 1.5million that the State brushed off like some gnat). Heck, old codgers moaning about their pensions have been putting better demos than the young. Just wait until someone lights the fuse.

Entirely agree with your analysis in para 1. When I heard about that illegal rave it rung another "recession here we come" bell. I don't care what Mr. Golden Shower thinks, apart from 'financial services' the UK is in recession. It looks like it and smells like it!

Not sure about your prediction of civil unrest though. I reckon one day this country will see civil war, probably through immigration and/or recession, but saying when is nigh on impossible.

If some space junk hits the SKY satellite there will be rioting before lunchtime ;)

Agree 100% but your timing is off,

Most of the Chavs are not up until noon, would think it would take until early afternoon before the first brick is thrown.

Early 90's raves... the repetitive beats, the whistles, the white gloves, the glow sticks, the smell of vicks. Ahh those were the days.

rave.gif

The current crop of youngsters will NEVER cause unrest - they are too unfit to get their fat lazy asses off the sofa, turn off the playstation and DO SOMETHING.

Doesn't it strike you as mildly ironic that you're exhorting people you've never met (and who you characterise in such a manner) to be more activist... through the medium of an Internet forum?

Guest Shedfish

first thread i've found that i agree with more or less every post. i'll get some mitsu's...

wistful :)

smiley face

confused

Guest Alright Jack

I'm not allowed to make new topics because I'm a troll. So, since this thread is a load of toss anyway, I may as well sabotage this one.

Realist bear is only the author of EIGHT threads in the main forum at this moment... Is he tired or something?

Can we have a reeeewind selecta...

... preferably all the way back to June 1996.

1996??????.....rave was way too commercial by then!!!

get back to 1990!!!...proper full-on no nonsense convoy-mayhem......those were the days!!!

Reach for the lasers guys!!!......it's all coming back!!!! :):):):):)

ps for what it's worth all that reeewind ******** was a waste of time anyway,the best sets were always the ones where the music was continuously pounding out of the bass bins!!

Edited by oracle

Indeed, raves are back, one thing struck me from this Guardian article on the weekend :-

"the choice of remote locations is making it harder for the police to stop events. 'There are some raves that we only know about two or three days later because they're in such a remote spot that no one has complained.

Remember we're supposed to be living in a 'very crowded and densely populated island' supposedly with precious little countryside still remaining, yet thousands of people and half a dozen sound systems on the back of lorries can set up and rave away for three days without anyone noticing! :lol:

1996??????.....rave was way too commercial by then!!!

get back to 1990!!!...proper full-on no nonsense convoy-mayhem......those were the days!!!

Reach for the lasers guys!!!......it's all coming back!!!! :):):):):)

ps for what it's worth all that reeewind ******** was a waste of time anyway,the best sets were always the ones where the music was continuously pounding out of the bass bins!!

I meant reeewind back to June 1996 to the trough of the housing market to buy a house, not for the rave music. I had put down my vicks vapour rub and whistle long before then.

Sometimes my humour is just wasted here. FFS :)

I meant reeewind back to June 1996 to the trough of the housing market to buy a house, not for the rave music. I had put down my vicks vapour rub and whistle long before then.

Sometimes my humour is just wasted here. FFS :)

...aah but this time you can get two for the price of one,you can get high off the smell of vicks and stale spliffs,and enjoy the unfolding of a house price crash in your new "enlightened" state!!!!

...thing is though,even if you succumb to all those mind-bending substances you'll probably be in a far more coherent state than the average BTL!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

the smell of vicks.

:blink::blink:

I was not a raver: more in to metal myself, or rather into studying hard at the time as I was the class swot.

I do not understand the vicks reference. Could someone kindly enlighten me?

I was not a raver: more in to metal myself, or rather into studying hard at the time as I was the class swot.

You rubbed it around your nose and on your neck and it was suppossed to highten your ecstasy rush. Not that I ever tried mind. ;)

Guest Daddy Bear

Vicks brings on the rushes man.....

Even better was ralgex deep heat - for that extra heightend paul oakenfold sensation.

sounds of the rush....sounds of the rush...

DB

Now its just plain old porridge

Vicks brings on the rushes man.....

Even better was ralgex deep heat - for that extra heightend paul oakenfold sensation.

sounds of the rush....sounds of the rush...

DB

Now its just plain old porridge

Maybe we could have our own HPC 'its all gone Pete Tong' with regards to the housing market? Something like 'its all gone Krusty'!?!

Indeed, raves are back, one thing struck me from this Guardian article on the weekend :-

"the choice of remote locations is making it harder for the police to stop events. 'There are some raves that we only know about two or three days later because they're in such a remote spot that no one has complained.

Remember we're supposed to be living in a 'very crowded and densely populated island' supposedly with precious little countryside still remaining, yet thousands of people and half a dozen sound systems on the back of lorries can set up and rave away for three days without anyone noticing! :lol:

They have people keeping an eye out and whenever a local passes by they turn the sound down and everyone stays really really quiet. :lol:

BB why would you expect anyone to hear? Its all second homes and holiday homes out in the villages now that they are deserted half the time. If it was so tragicly true it would be funny. :angry:

Can we have a reeeewind selecta...

... preferably all the way back to June 1996.

1996??

You're not one of those people who consider Norman "Fatboy Slim" Cook a godfather of house are you? :lol::lol::lol:

Rewind another 8 years please

Edited by jp1

1996??

You're not one of those people who consider Norman "Fatboy Slim" Cook a godfather of house are you? :lol::lol::lol:

Rewind another 8 years please

Refer to post number 16 in this thread please FFS. :rolleyes: