House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Lancashire Telegraph Telling It Like It Is

Guest wrongmove
Burnley Council leader Gordon Birtwistle said the report, drawn up by his staff, was a stark reminder of why the multi-million-pound regeneration of the town under the Elevate scheme was so badly needed.

I was living in Manchester up until 1997 and still visiting until 2000 and I knew the Burnley area quite well and it had a number of social problems pushing the prices down. There was a spell when BTL landlords purchased in the hope of rising prices but as far as I am aware this never happened to the levels expected.

Newsnight even featured a special on the appalling conditions of this town only a few years ago which probably has not helped the situation. This is ironic as I believe Paxman has his roots in Burnley via his ancestors.

The same social problems could be found in Salford at the same time, which is near where I was living. Some of the notorious estates were knocked down or improved to make way for the new developments near to The Quays in Salford which is why real estate in Salford is now booming and Kirsty Carebear even said it was one of the top 10 places to purchase earlier this year. Burnley did not have the benefit of The Lowry and the vast amount of cash ploughed into the area which is probably why it has struggled over the past 10 years.

I was living in Manchester up until 1997 and still visiting until 2000 and I knew the Burnley area quite well and it had a number of social problems pushing the prices down. There was a spell when BTL landlords purchased in the hope of rising prices but as far as I am aware this never happened to the levels expected.

Newsnight even featured a special on the appalling conditions of this town only a few years ago which probably has not helped the situation. This is ironic as I believe Paxman has his roots in Burnley via his ancestors.

The same social problems could be found in Salford at the same time, which is near where I was living. Some of the notorious estates were knocked down or improved to make way for the new developments near to The Quays in Salford which is why real estate in Salford is now booming and Kirsty Carebear even said it was one of the top 10 places to purchase earlier this year. Burnley did not have the benefit of The Lowry and the vast amount of cash ploughed into the area which is probably why it has struggled over the past 10 years.

Id be surprised if Salford Quays booms. At easter they were still building "executive apartments" and its only 5 min drive to the centre where similar "executive apartments" are already dropping in price after being bought as BTL 'investments'.

Edited by DONT PANIC !!! DONT PANIC !!!

I completely agree. It still has a lot of undesirable areas too which I was keen to distance myself from after spending 3 years there.

I was offered a job in Manchester but I decided to move out of the City as I could not find a place I really wanted to live at the time. This was nearly ten years ago and I am sure there are plenty of nice places to live now but it did not really suit me.

Burnley is the worst place I've ever been.

Always fun to be an away supporter in Burnley.

allright Steve, long time no see, here's an irony, a major employer in the Burnley area is HML who collect mortgages on behalf of approx. 30% of the industry :blink:

I live in Burnley and I think it's a great place. My mortgage for a two bedroom end-of-terrace house in £84.00 a month. Burnley is surrounded by areas of outstanding natural beauty. Professionals who work in Manchester live in villages surrounding Burnley. House prices in Burnley are depressed because many new houses are being built and people buy these instead of ordinary terraces houses. The leaders of Burnley have found out the more emphasis they place on its problems -- I haven't actually noticed any -- the more money they can get from central government. A brand new state-of-the art leisure centre has just been completed. A large local school which looks all right is being demolished so they can build a brand new one. There are advanced plans for a canalside development, an additional shopping centre and a university. It's a 1000 times better than North Kensington where I grew up.

There are advanced plans for a canalside development, an additional shopping centre and a university.

What? Burnley College to become a University? That means there will be somewhere for Bolton University (I still can't type that without sniggering) to beat.

Just to double check. We are talking about the same place? Burnley, the place I lived for 35 years, Burnley, Lancashire?