House Price Crash Forum

Times 'money' Section - Merryn On Money

Mart

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

Chav's are now LEAVING THE LABELS/PRICE TAGS on clothes and WEARING THEM (with said lables still attached) according to this piece :

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/...2329884,00.html

this true ?

Just another sad example of the countrys pursuit of 'things' that is encouraged all the time be media, tv, career propaganda etc etc.

HOLA444

If you read the full article, she's highlighting that Chav's use Burberry to elevate status amongst other chavs. Because there are so many Burberry copies around, the Chavs are keeping the price tag on to prove that they have the REAL Burberry. The comparison that Merryn illustrates rather well is that the middle class have long used cars and houses to reflect wealth and therefore 'status', but now things are different - the fancy cars and big houses are all bought using borrowed that perhaps the borrower really can't afford.......

HOLA445
HOLA446

This article makes me wonder why so many immigrants are wanting to come to the UK.

Is it because we have:

a) affordable housing?

B) lots of good paying jobs?

c) nice climate?

or

d) soft benefit system and..

e) easily available credit with the (1) year bankruptcy guarantee if you decide not to pay it back

Soon moneylenders will be printing application forms in Polish and Romanian.

UK.. THE LAND OF EASY MONEY AND UNLIMITED BENEFITS

Just another sad example of the countrys pursuit of 'things' that is encouraged all the time be media, tv, career propaganda etc etc.

Everyone from the chavs to the BTL'ers to the MEW'ers are all displaying the addiction to the illusion of wealth.

Edited by Pluto

HOLA447
HOLA448

UK.. THE LAND OF EASY MONEY AND UNLIMITED BENEFITS [Pluto]

You're way off beam. Most immigrants are not eligible for any benefits on arrival and in any case the UK has some of the lowest benefit rates in the EU.

If an accession country worker has been working in the UK for 1 YEAR they are entitled to benefits. The Gov't has also discussed "compassionate" grounds for granting benefits to workers who either cannot prove a whole years work or who have lost their job because their employer laid them off. It doesn't take much extrapolation of this last point to realise that in the event of an economic downturn a great may migrant workers would seek to avail themselves of this opportunity. To suggest that someone would forego the benefit system in order to make the indigenous population feel better is naive. While it is true that other countries have more generous benefits systems it is also true that the criteria needed to gain access to them is harder to meet than in the UK. Also, as many of the countries which have better benefits systems also have not allowed accession countries access to their labor markets they therefore would not be troubled by the situation we would encounter. Equally, none of the accession countries have benefits systems which provide as well as ours so the incentive to return simply does not exist.

On another point. The CHAVs wearing of labels on their clothes is not just to show how much they cost but also to "imply" that their garments were apparently stolen. This has apparently lead to some retailers expressing concern that this is a ploy to confuse security staff and will encourage the actual theft of items from their shops.

Metro article.

I do not purport to know the mind of a person who thinks that dressing up for the evening involves putting on a clean baseball cap and that a blue light under their car is somehow going to make it invisible to the police - but if the above is true it is a sad indictment of elements of our society and the way they think and the way we tolerate them.

HOLA449

You're way off beam. Most immigrants are not eligible for any benefits on arrival and in any case the UK has some of the lowest benefit rates in the EU.

Way off am I. I don't think so.

What are the UK going to do with the immigrants who can't find work, or lose their job for any reason, or become ill and require medical attention? What is the plan? Are we going to tell them they're not eligible and that's the end of that?

Nope, the immigrants are going to the UK because the UK is soft.

HOLA4410

No-one's nentioned the obvious, if you leave the label on you can take it back and get your money back, you could be dressed in brand new clothes all the time for nothing. You would just have to avoid getting the clothes so dirty you couldn't take them back.

HOLA4411

Some are some aren't. Asylum seekers get housing as can people from the EU. I know a Spanish citizen who got a council flat in zone 2 within weeks of arriving in the UK - she had never worked here.

HOLA4412

If you read the full article, she's highlighting that Chav's use Burberry to elevate status amongst other chavs. Because there are so many Burberry copies around, the Chavs are keeping the price tag on to prove that they have the REAL Burberry. The comparison that Merryn illustrates rather well is that the middle class have long used cars and houses to reflect wealth and therefore 'status', but now things are different - the fancy cars and big houses are all bought using borrowed that perhaps the borrower really can't afford.......

How are things different? Burberry stuff can be bought with borrowed money just the same as fancy cars, so how does it prove they can afford the 'real' Burberry??? The logic of the article doesn't make sense.

AFP

HOLA4413

How are things different? Burberry stuff can be bought with borrowed money just the same as fancy cars, so how does it prove they can afford the 'real' Burberry??? The logic of the article doesn't make sense.

AFP

In the case of the chavs this is apparently nothing to do with buying in cash or via credit. It is a way of proving you have bought the genuine article, not a fake from a street market/eBay. I guess the next step is probably the production of fake price tags (hardly difficult if you are already producing a convincing fake of the actual product)!

The writer is applying the principle to the credit culture, i.e. branded products, flash cars and houses are no longer an indication of 'true' wealth, many are purchased on credit that the purchaser can not afford...

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

If you read the article is is not irrelevant. It draws a comparison that you cannot judge wealth by material possessions.

Just as the chav may have robbed the jumper, the guy with the porsche isn't necessarily minted, he's just MEW'ed to buy a luxury item.

Like where I live. Loads of new convertables - I would love to know how many are bought using MEW as the finance. I too have a convertable but I saved up for mine. Could you tell the difference if you saw me and my neighbour polishing them on a Sunday?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

They are entitled to Family Credit Day one they start work!!!

For most that is 800pcm not 40 quid a week.

In addition, they do other work in the Black Economy for cash!!.

To suggest the average taxpayer does well out of immigration is just simply complete and utter Tosh.

The benefactors are the Chancellor who is Scottish and has no ties to the UK. And of course Business that has a profit to make but continues to want consumers despite laying them off on a wholesale basis.